Most recent stories

This Old Man

970970 views22 comments00 favs

“Have I told you this one before?” I can’t think of one he hasn’t told me, but saying so won’t stop him. I fire up the FreeCell game, put the phone on speaker, and pour a tumbler of chardonnay.

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 18

888888 views00 comments00 favs

We all ran out of the house into the communal garden without fences. There stood Von Rotten with a smoking rifle in his hands, and our mascot Digger lying on his side, limp. We all looked at each other in disbelief.

My Neighbor in the Apartment Across the Hall

10721072 views33 comments11 fav

She's an obese woman whose clothes don't fit: shirts that ride up too high her belly hanging out her pants suctioned to her strangely pegged legs. Her ballooned cheeks are always chapped pink her lips little slivers peeled back over small beige teeth like…

Death Masking Love

13931393 views44 comments33 favs

She brought the ends of her fingers to her mouth and moistened them in her warm saliva. The whorls of her prints glistened in the harsh light of the room, but it wasn't her own outlines she was interested in raising. His hand lay outstretched in his…

The Celebrity

11861186 views99 comments66 favs

"He doesn't have a parish," I said. "He works in a hospital in the East Bay. He told me that if I were in that hospital and I woke up and saw him, I was in big trouble."

Brooklyn Bridge

696696 views11 comment00 favs

I’m walking funny but only comedians notice.

Octopus

936936 views44 comments00 favs

Sometimes I think there's an octopus in my stomach. In the mornings it stretches and droops its lazy head to one side — It suctions it's tentacles to the walls of my belly and pulls them together forcing me To gag, and vomit what we didn't digest of the…

Domesticity

11691169 views22 comments11 fav

The Marigold gloves are yellow (figures!) and medium, the apron ironed with a touch of starch added...

Protagonist Unbound

14531453 views00 comments00 favs

Protag noted that Gertrud’s brow was knotted with stress and rage, as if she’d been drinking too much coffee and reading the latest translation of Simone de Beauvoir.

Graduation

12511251 views33 comments22 favs

and i'm almost out of cigarettes, and fireworks and sorority girls scream from down the street.

Rock On

14001400 views2525 comments1212 favs

...fancy the idea of tapas, Spain an' all.

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 17

950950 views55 comments00 favs

So back to Berkeley we went, and started our own commune in a huge rented house on Derby Street where we could tear the fences down in all the neighborhood backyards. We created what we called “The Meadow.”

Car Talk

16901690 views1111 comments77 favs

It had been Tom at the wharf who strode over to greet me, his friend Tom with the small spectacles standing at the bar. “Write it when you get home,” Bella said. I was wearing the same beads.

Nineveh

10061006 views00 comments00 favs

My heart was a puzzle completely incomplete, until I learned of love in your embrace.

Mania

11391139 views44 comments22 favs

To Charles Bukowski "I haven't shat or pissed in seven years," she tells him, negotiating each word around the Marlboro. Because he doesn't know what else to say, Isaiah asks, "Haven't you seen a …

Acute Amusement

697697 views66 comments00 favs

Nostalgia is irrational.

A Bitter And Unseasoned Business Attorney Makes His Case That "Crazy Heart" Is The Perfectly Nasty Ending

12311231 views44 comments11 fav

In closing, Your Honor:After the interview Bad Blake, a/k/a "Otis" takes "Miss" Jane Craddock back to his hotel, ties her up, and gives her a Cleveland Steamer. For reference, please refer to my Brief, Exhibit A, showing a thespian named Ronald Jeremy…

SWING-SET

12191219 views44 comments33 favs

Soon, out of the womb ‘down there' is nuance. It guides you, like a legality, like your own breathing, in and out of overtone, hardcore hodgepodges, those inklings near sacrosanct beyond breakfront negligees and neo-negligence leading the good life. Isn't it…

A Deaf Man

13371337 views1111 comments44 favs

Billy had crystal blue eyes A small mouth And long hair to cover up his Hearing aids. He told me once, with his hands How he liked to submerge His head in water and yell So loud he could feel it. "I can hear myself that way," he…

Knell Quarternion

13121312 views11 comment00 favs

The Jester sat down on the edge of his mattress. He laboured to bring one gout ridden leg up to lay across the other. The jingle bell at the tip of his pointed toe mocked each serrated movement of his limb with a jaunty tinkle. He grabbed his ankle to arrest its…

Sleeping Beauty Left on Plane

15971597 views77 comments55 favs

Sleeping Beauty was left sleeping on a plane They tried to wake her but couldn’t so they locked her in for the night When she got up in the middle of the night she was completely disoriented and staggered up the aisle to the bathroom t

The Room of Doors

994994 views22 comments22 favs

"Which way ought we to go from here," he asked. She smiled again, "that all depends on where we want to get to." He nodded but didn't laugh so she sighed and strolled around the room, tuning and looking and considering her options.

Okay, I'm In

18241824 views1919 comments1010 favs

I get what you want done from me. You want the old one two sucker punch that goes straightaway through to the tenderest part of the aching heart, the one that tumbles you out of your old worn out gut wrenching way of living life for…

Understudy

12491249 views1212 comments99 favs

All young and loud and big and I swear her face like a lighthouse lamp, glowing—I remember thinking, ‘She’s drunk at nine in the morning.’

My Tongue

14121412 views1111 comments55 favs

A nun once told me to watch my tongue. This is not an easy thing to do.

Josephine Skinny Jeans: Chapter 1

15011501 views22 comments11 fav

Lee found a ship’s figurehead in a dumpster behind some shitty Indian restaurant last night.

Legs

10171017 views22 comments11 fav

Rachel Stevens is an attractive woman I notice her long fair skinned legs and think that She must wear sun block to live in Arizona And have skirts like that. Today she invites me inside, She says she has a light bulb for me to change — up high. In a friendly…

Yellow Dining Room (from The New Yorker)

12241224 views22 comments22 favs

...you should pick a VERY OLD millionaire. Very old, and NOT VERY WELL...

The Great San Francisco Poetry Wars, 16

809809 views00 comments00 favs

There was all this pomp and circumstance. We were each outfitted with robes, red of course, and mortar-boards with a gold tassel dangling over one eye. It made me positively dizzy. Plus I was extremely hung-over that day.

Addict

19611961 views1414 comments1010 favs

...what will happen to me buying drugs on the street, at night...?