Most recent stories

Geisha Doll

990990 views1111 comments11 fav

I imagined cool, wet clay oozing between my fingers when I'd squeeze a tight fistful.

How Veetzers Set Us Up For the Zorks

11451145 views11 comment00 favs

We're doomed as a species. The Zorks are coming to eat us. It all started when Joey Cacciatore, the dumbest crook in the history of the world, got Veetzers swarming like blowflies in 1972, and thereby ensured the upcoming…

Freedom

889889 views00 comments00 favs

His senses were heightened. The scratching on the table with his finger nails, intense nervousness, the noise magnified every second, the ball point pen was piercing into his sweaty palm.

Short Terms Plans

890890 views22 comments00 favs

It's going to be expensive, but it's booked and I am going to enjoy every single minute of it.

Christian Bell vs. Sleep

258258 views1111 comments44 favs

Christian Bell can’t sleep in/on the following: airplanes, car trips, couches, first nights in hotels, jury duty holding area, commuter train, work breakroom, tent, park bench, the ground.

Flush

12941294 views1010 comments33 favs

“No one likes an indecisive sexual partner.”

Handicapping the Saints

891891 views44 comments00 favs

I've been a fan of hagiography—the lives of the saints—since first grade when Claude Dunham and I were asked to represent St. Stephen and St. Sebastian, two martyrs of the early church, in a tableau vivant of bored boys.

We Will Elevate (Part Two)

13041304 views00 comments00 favs

The Buffalo group together in herds and are massive, intimidating creatures. You get the impression that--if desired--they could easily orchestrate a plan to stop you atop a hillside, then ram your car over the edge.

How To Rescue A Drowning Man

30533053 views2020 comments1111 favs

Maybe you should consider a few more things before embarking upon actual rescue, like: Is the victim hot? Not stove hot, idiot. Beauty hot. Will this be a triumph to save this person (like perhaps they are some Nobel laureate), or are you risking you

Dear Caddy

10371037 views55 comments44 favs

I would advise the younger you to change your underpants, and not to let those boys do the talking for you.

Loettoer to the oEditor: Poet Frioendly Town?

9292 views11 comment00 favs

Aftoer roenting for 11 yoears, the ownoers are soelling. I livoe with a poet. Thoeroe aroe no availabloe roentals that will loet moe koeoep him. I thought Carmoel was known to be poet-frioendly. Studioes show that poets hoelp poeople livoe longoer. Ploeasoe oexcusoe…

Good Fences

12101210 views22 comments22 favs

I built the fence myself, strong and high and aesthetically pleasing. It was high enough to provide privacy on both sides, but from my bedroom balcony I could see everything. More than I wanted to see.

Cow

11941194 views33 comments00 favs

“He looks funny again,” the twins would say. “Cow looks funny, Mummy.”

Mescaline Blues

13751375 views11 comment00 favs

This is about a mescaline trip that went wrong. It happened back in the '60s and I know, the '60s have been done quite to death and nobody ever gets the trip right but--you'll like this one. Joey and…

Monster

10601060 views00 comments00 favs

Silence overtakes her, the bellowing has ceased. Curious, she thinks, could this be causation or merely correlation? Assuming the former, Hailey moves, swiftly, being sure only to place her weight down when red carpet is underneath her feet. This works.

Bumpy Ride Ahead As Jet-Lagged Hamsters Try Viagra

705705 views11 comment00 favs

Researchers have successfully used Viagra, the male erectile dysfunction drug, to treat jet lag in hamsters. Reuters

Plastic Cars, Plastic People

843843 views00 comments00 favs

The man at the table was surrounded by an empty kitchen.Dishes were in the sink from the dinner before andEveryone had gone about their days early in the morning. They had left a board game out, scattered across the table,Life, plastic cars and plastic people, and a…

Gauntlet

789789 views00 comments00 favs

They bury their own.

The Way is Dark, the Road Long

14611461 views77 comments22 favs

The day I got out of prison the sun was shining.

Wild Dreams of Reality, Chapter 15

11191119 views00 comments00 favs

Darrell looked at me, then down at himself. He was still in his wet underwear. "What is this?" he said, looking up again. "Where in the hell was I?" He shook his head. "It was weird, Philip. Boy, that was one wild dream." "That was no d

Thing To Do In Deptford When You're Dead.

10521052 views66 comments00 favs

Velvet answered the door in a red leather dress that was made with just about enough material to make a wallet, and looking like a long limbed drink of water calling out to a thirsty man.

The Magic of Theater

111111 views22 comments11 fav

A blue oil lamp on the piano behind a screen where Hedda Gabler shoots herself in that last scene.The audience hears, but cannot see, the gunshot. An elderly man —— new to the play and totally caught up in the story —— audily gasps, "Oh my…

Park

962962 views00 comments00 favs

“It’s time we moved our relationship back into an upright position,” I said.

What Kiss

11511151 views88 comments55 favs

The women were increasing their writing in the restroom. I asked you later why women only talk on restroom walls, and you said, why do men only talk on restroom walls? I told you as much as I could remember of what had been written.

The Prodigal Son

856856 views22 comments00 favs

A minute later, a shadow appeared across the left-hand page of the book.

Hundreds of Hefner Girlfriends Lost, Feared Dead

14671467 views99 comments11 fav

I've come to the Playboy Mansion on a mission of mercy. Hugh Hefner, my good buddy, has just lost two girlfriends in a single day!

For Irony

937937 views11 comment00 favs

They all knew he had cancer before the doctors gave the final verdict. His wife wept and his parents held him tightly. It was a dreadful time for all. Out in the hall his children looked on with fearful faces and shook their heads as he begged them inside with a…

A Sonnet Washed Over

7676 views11 comment00 favs

Limpets squat on rock each in its own spot made to fit where a taut muscular …

Sheep

10331033 views33 comments11 fav

Sheep are very philosophical, I hear. Stop this hopeless dreaming.

Arion Resigns

10971097 views22 comments11 fav

Mutiny is the last I remember.