Most recent stories

Etienne's Voice

11501150 views55 comments11 fav

And suddenly, I have this crazy impulse, so crazy and so puzzling I do not possess enough vocabulary and grammar skills to describe what is invisible and what is visible about it. The reader must excuse me and be attentive.

Unconfirmed Revelation Vouchsafed by Paris

977977 views22 comments00 favs

Poets die every day but are seldom in position to put the experience to literary merit.

How To Become a Great Writer

26442644 views1515 comments1010 favs

My name is Tom Scarlatti and my kid brother, Billy, resents me. Of course, if you read magazines, you probably already know that. You probably don't think much of me, either. In fact, you probably think I'm a rotten no-good clod, since my brother Billy the famous…

More New Bands I Have Known and/or Been In

551551 views11 comment00 favs

Uber Rich Spongecake Caca Mimi and the Autre Merdes

Love Story

10191019 views11 comment00 favs

I don't know when it was I first stumbled across your blog. I know I definitely must've followed the link on your twitter profile, but how I found you in the first place, I have no idea. But fate works in mysterious ways, I suppose. I remember I then visited your blog every…

Dixon Ticonderoga - 2 5/10 medium

984984 views00 comments00 favs

gotta love a pencil

No Fool Like An Old Fool

4848 views00 comments00 favs

Starting in his '60's, brain gravity began setting in, and the sand castles started pouring down from the sky like so much rain. That's when he opened his eyes, rubbing in disbelief. This was a risk worth taking. Its time had come and had, in fact, been patiently…

Natural Histories I

863863 views44 comments22 favs

I feel about the universe/ as Abrahamics are supposed/ to feel about their Yahweh, /their God, and their Allah:/ I am in fear, I am in awe, /I am in love.

Puffer Fish in the Infinite Laboratory

940940 views22 comments11 fav

They put me in charge of developing a drug that stifles fear.

Huntingtons

17501750 views2323 comments1919 favs

He and I are still and somber at the kitchen table. We’re both wearing black and stare at each other through blood-shot eyes. The children’s thumps echo on the ceiling above. I think about the other family’s children.

America From The Outside

16081608 views1111 comments55 favs

You aren’t easy to explain, you Americans.

The House on El Nino Diablo Court, Part 2

933933 views00 comments00 favs

Inspired by "The Dunwich Horror"" by H.P. Lovecraft, this excerpt concerns the events in the life of a man who is coming to the awareness that his son has followed in his grandfather's steps and begun the process of conjuring a spirit that killed him.

Sense and Sensibility Too

546546 views00 comments00 favs

http://fictionique.com/?p=15975

I Must Slip The Batman a Fin

16601660 views2626 comments1717 favs

The Batman says it's his birthday. I take him at his word.

Wiscasset, Maine

12411241 views1313 comments88 favs

She bought a dog with short legs to make her own legs look longer.

Fundamentals

966966 views44 comments11 fav

You can have two threes, or three twos. I hear the beat both ways. It goes back and forth in my head, like magic, transforming from one to the other and back again. And I am learning the basics of music theory, and painting geometric shapes with primary colors. I am…

The Broken

915915 views11 comment00 favs

A precious heart unfolding the joy within Carefree play marked footsteps skipping along the way Such wonders untold awaiting a time of promise Stilled in the night by a grasping hand Held down in silence fear feeds off this soul Marking its to

1-UP

10001000 views44 comments22 favs

The air smells like dream, like farm shit, like the salty stalling of evolution.

Sleep With The Fishes

12091209 views22 comments11 fav

Pull her from the water and check her pockets. Shouldn’t death tattoo a message on each palm it removes the pulse from.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 13

866866 views00 comments00 favs

-That’s more like it. He released Ben and holstered his gun under his leather jacket.

Payback is Lumpy

5959 views77 comments00 favs

Had a girl in 1968, an Ohio dairy farmer's daughter, and when she finally invited me to dinner with her folks, they passed the pitcher with the fresh milk. When I poured it, clots of butterfat fell into my glass with big splashes; while they watched me looking at that…

Miracle of Life

11621162 views22 comments11 fav

We received the news unexpectedly. The suspicion was true. The nausea and fatigue were caused by the honor of your presence in our lives. We had waited for you for years. We had prayed endlessly for the universe to bless us with your gift; with you as our gift. And…

Tomorrows Never Written and Subsequent Unrehearsed Memory

16031603 views66 comments33 favs

For some, a vertical pattern will evoke prison bars, for others, product bar codes.

A monkey puzzle rocket burst

13921392 views77 comments44 favs

The things we do for books, she thought.

Boringer's Theory

189189 views1212 comments77 favs

If Simpkin believed in reincarnation, which he did not, as he was a philosopher, not a religious fanatic, he might have thought he was Boringer reincarnated.

The Season of Lacrosse

283283 views11 comment11 fav

There was plenty of sadness and disappointment---that was expected---but also a weird unexplainable freedom. It was as if his real self was no longer tied to his body. No, he was floating a few feet above things and looking down placidly, forgivingly, on

We Invented Stillness Just to Keep Ourselves from Following the Fall of Everything

14111411 views2929 comments1515 favs

Even solid seeming concrete creeps/ in time to form the faint smile of deflection./ A marble rolls along the catenary grin.

It'll Be Okay/revised version

837837 views99 comments77 favs

It's not that there's nothing new, it's all new. That blue color is not the one you remember, but the one you are experiencing, and at the same time, you bring everything you are, crushing into dust, with you. Green…

Death (and a Girl)

748748 views22 comments00 favs

I toyed with the idea of suicide, then quickly cast it off. Death wouldn’t be interesting. Liberating, perhaps, but not interesting. I hadn’t yet lived enough to die.

The Boss of Bosses

13301330 views77 comments33 favs

The one thing my father told me that I want to believe is true . . .