Most read stories

Let's All Go Down to the Rising River

870870 views11 comment00 favs

As the pastor of a small southern church, I'm often asked by our younger members about this prickly notion of global warming. They herd around me, as adolescents are prone to do, and they ask me, “Dear father, is this something that we should fear, these…

Strut

870870 views00 comments00 favs

The devil ran in my blood.Scars chase each other on my skin.One year old, I fell down the stairs in my walker.Five years old, I fell out of a tree while convincing my older sister to climbthe outlawed tree.At six I rode my bike down the biggest hill in the…

A Memo From The CEO

870870 views22 comments11 fav

Over the last 30 days we have seen a radical decrease in our revenue stream. Our Q3 earnings fell dramatically short of what we had projected, and as a result the leadership team has had to look at some difficult cost-reducing measures.

Diet Plans

870870 views22 comments11 fav

She positioned the mouse cursor over the word Bikini and double clicked. The hard drive of the ageing work PC chugged into life as an Excel document dragged itself onto the screen.

Thwart

870870 views00 comments00 favs

Daily, at 3:47 PM, below his office window, a child in an orange windbreaker sits in the last car of the T, in the rear seat, face pressed against glass.

Love in the Nick of Time

870870 views22 comments11 fav

a dance in the moonlight

Wednesday Night Aliens

870870 views11 comment11 fav

The old-timers at the Working Man’s Club wear a sheen of indifference every Wednesday night. Beneath the wafting, cresting mountains of burning cigarettes smoke, the train-track rattle of dominoes chipping at the dark wood tables in the corner, the consta

The Linguist

870870 views33 comments00 favs

I let the little fingers slip thinking they couldn't stand to hold on anymore. When they were done they said addled and I was left behind in the room with only my hand. I hurt myself trying to picture the pretty girls and they took out a piece above my eye. …

Fall

869869 views11 comment11 fav

You fall with your eyes closed because otherwise you wouldn't dare.

A Hug from Rumpelbitchkin

869869 views00 comments00 favs

She shifts in her armchair, shadowed beneath the dark pitched roof, gently replaces her chipped white china teacup in its saucer. It's started again. It's how they go, their whisperings, egging younger children to climb the steps to her attic apartment, a

Helen of the Poetry World

869869 views11 comment00 favs

That night we went out to shoot some pool at the pool hall over on Durant Avenue, which was above a bar called Kip’s. Rotten Bobby walked in with his own damn pool cue, which came broken down in two pieces. He carried it in a narrow felt-lined carrying

Little Box of Courage

869869 views55 comments22 favs

Something I loathe even more than children are Floridian Drivers. It's not even because of their horrid driving capabilities, but more so because of their attitudes. Within the confines of their comfy little car, they are able to build up the…

Control

869869 views55 comments55 favs

I’m afraid

Spring Darkness In the Age of Video

869869 views11 comment33 favs

This spring darkness is winding around my neckin the age of video, how many times I've seen her at the zoowith your eyes, as if seeing for the first timeher early morning breath, tripping your woman, your angelas she arrived on the beach when it was still too dark to see…

The Last Days of Summer

869869 views00 comments00 favs

Their laughter is of a tiny world that knows nothing of taxes or lost loves, or news reports of flag-draped coffins filled with limbs.

What Happened To The Rain Dance?

869869 views22 comments11 fav

The water quality will give you a hint

High Beings (including a few of the more mundane facets around)

869869 views77 comments66 favs

would absolutely love to hear from you singing as careless as a cat choir as you make your fingertip wishes well known to the dishwasher night,want you to be ever so playful with your environments as you please. While (those)…

just because the maker of the tracks and the tracks themselves are invisible doesn't mean there's nothing there

869869 views44 comments22 favs

breathe out somewhere a tree falls

Affair

869869 views11 comment11 fav

No clouds No rain

Our Handsome Whales

869869 views55 comments55 favs

are speaking clear enough, through their open and bleeding wounds, for you to at least try and understand. Waving their massive arms like living lighthouses, bobbing in and out of the floundering waves, they are splashing out an…

The First Round

869869 views00 comments00 favs

It was mostly accidental.

Narrow Results

869869 views55 comments44 favs

How would we know?

We the Wild Men

869869 views00 comments22 favs

There's a whole pack of us, men minted from hot brass and thumbtacks. Too tough for sensibility's sake.

Genius

869869 views00 comments00 favs

Everything I write is gold, he mused. My words spill onto the page like ambrosia, nectar of the gods, filling an empty vessel with immortal life.

The We

869869 views22 comments11 fav

You gotta see this new drugdelivered thru a procedurally exacting pill Sugar coated yetcompletely foul tastingDrought drowning and will make you blowfish-cheekedIt creates coincidences with bafflement and symmetry Meaningfully uncertain…

For You

869869 views22 comments22 favs

Why should you go through that for me?

Punkin Head

869869 views77 comments55 favs

The old neighborhood, long paling in the shadow of greater Los Angeles, was reduced to two blocks in length and occupied only one side of Figueroa. It was the crumbling bastian of homes whose architecture remembered yet street-car bells clanging, watermelon farms and…

confetti

869869 views11 comment00 favs

i’ve started writing these things down on blue-lined notebook paper or really anything i can get my tendonitis-ridden hands on.

Blackballed

869869 views66 comments11 fav

When I was a small child, my father was just barely a man, and he was independently wealthy. So it didn't matter that he was an adolescent inside. There was never any mention of "working." No notion of career. Just the girl he knocked up and the amusing…

Sneaker Waves

868868 views33 comments22 favs

On the way inside, Peter stopped a moment on the deck and scanned the trees for the raven he and Lottie had seen at lunch. It wasn't there. Of course it wasn't there. He scanned the beach, the rocks and broken shells, the damp stinking rafts of seaweed with their rubbery…