Most read stories

In The Place Between - Part 2

975975 views22 comments00 favs

One day a girl with blond hair was walking along the fence on the other side. There were just a handful of us left and I was the only one to notice her. I watched her. She did not see me. The next time I saw her, I went to the fence. I thought she might y

Galileo Worries About His Weight

975975 views22 comments33 favs

I, Seer of the Stars, Cartographer of the Cosmos, / measure my mass, and to whom do I owe this woe...

Parallel Structures

975975 views55 comments44 favs

He gave her his driving range and she gave it back. She didn’t know what a bogey was. Arms akimbo he smiled and licked the China cat by the window.

Seance

975975 views99 comments77 favs

communication/ with the dead

Anniversary

975975 views33 comments11 fav

He honestly could care less.  We should converse, you and I, he says. All right, she says.  She lays down the baster in her drawn out way, heel to toe on the countertop, one step in a…

Myra's Cigarettes

975975 views55 comments00 favs

I know from the experience of too many odd sideways glances that folks are seldom interested in my brand of observation. No one else seems to wonder how many commas there are in the library or how many other people own that exact shirt.

hands

975975 views22 comments22 favs

He cleaned off the pump with a steel brush. Then he took it out to the pressure washer. Out there was where a lady that looked like a witch used to move around and sit on the fences like a crow. The air was humid, and the men were dressed in heavy blue coveralls.…

War Bride

975975 views22 comments00 favs

Maria met her husband in World War Two. Maria is now eighty-two. She is from the country of Tuscany. She has lived in may countries. She was a war bride. She has a son. Maria's son is sixty-three. As a baby-boomer he won't retire until sixty-five Maria says.…

The Grand Inn

975975 views22 comments11 fav

I saw blood. The walls of the bar were completely covered in red shag carpeting. Had I been thrown back in time to the Seventies? It felt as if I had entered Hell itself. No, this was not Hell. This was the Aryan-Brotherhood's version of the movie Shaft. I…

The United Church of Cigarettes

975975 views00 comments00 favs

Most keep their eyes closed. Some look up at the cloud covering the kneeling ecclesiastical trash perched high. Others look around, overly warm.

Equality

975975 views33 comments33 favs

J., W., and W.’s girlfriend were exploring the nature and mores of homosexual conduct by discussing whether W. would be willing to suck J.’s cock.

Tollund Man, one/breakfast, zero

975975 views33 comments33 favs

how enthralled might you be, or how much appalled,/plucked from a fresh dream that had just grown serene?

hush

975975 views1111 comments88 favs

every timeyou openyour mouthan angel fallsinto a vat of whiskyshut ityou're fucking up heaven2013 - Rene

Not real words about a not real place

975975 views11 comment00 favs

I'm going up and down elevators all over the Financial District and I have no office.

Weld (St. Petersburg Blues)

975975 views11 comment00 favs

There's one graveyard for the part-timers and another for the full-timers. Ours is a little nicer, but we're still all going to hell. Do you remember St. Petersburg? No, you're memory's not that good.

Open Face

975975 views33 comments22 favs

All the time I'm eating I can't help but think of the many different tuna melts I have ordered in diners and coffee shops and how each of them disappointed me...

Sea Bubbles

975975 views66 comments55 favs

"I don't know why you say good-bye, I say hello."--The Beatles Things fall from the clouds. Things fall from thefloor. Maybe through, maybe all the way.Everyone argues for their homeland.Someday I'd like to hold your hand. I'mstill dreaming. I hope it continuesto rain…

The Night Mayweather Took It

975975 views66 comments44 favs

It is not really about boxing.

Regarding Hank

975975 views00 comments00 favs

Won't speak a word against 'em. Car trunk stunk like bad chicken long after, but I won't speak a word against 'em.

My Wife's Dream

975975 views88 comments11 fav

He was a Jack Russell terrier hanging like a baby in a carrier strapped to my chest He had all four legs wrapped around me and was licking me with his long tongue I asked him what his name was, and in a real low voice he said Min

Wolf - Variation 5

975975 views22 comments22 favs

his eyes see blood as circumstance.

Graven Images

975975 views66 comments55 favs

Mother hated a crucifix. Graven, she said. Evidence that Catholics weren't saved, just stuck in ceremony. Jesus had risen and anyone who had to pray in Latin, count beads or confess to robed men who took orders from a monarch didn't know…

Further Conversation with the Author

975975 views55 comments55 favs

“After your death is confirmed,” I assured him, “a hardcover first edition of your books, will sell for millions at auction in New York.

Cookies

975975 views66 comments33 favs

What was it about the aged and cookies? Here was another one that relished them. Sebastian's grandmother was a specialist. People on the outside thought she was a bird enthusiast. Grandma could be seen refilling the bird feeders at all hours. After the morning…

Mesh

974974 views33 comments22 favs

driving and standing in front of the same car

Free As A Bird

974974 views44 comments22 favs

The cell was crowded, barely enough room to swing a cat.

The Semaphore of Civilization

974974 views44 comments22 favs

We're alone and besieged / by badness.

2-D CUCKOLDS IN TV SOAPS

974974 views00 comments00 favs

Tread acres and acres of aches

from insomnia

974974 views66 comments33 favs

soap smells tangy, but/I wouldn’t eat it: scent and/nutrition diverge.

Ul Fas Spe Rea Course

974974 views22 comments11 fav

Edmund read ultra-fast: “.Ass - ;fuc gav fas no I will fu fuc fu her he wen fa, ha! Ha!