Most read stories

Zimmerland

10951095 views22 comments22 favs

He was just walking along, making sure that no white, Hispanic, Native American or Asian people were doing anything illegal when he noticed the young black man walking down the street. He hadn't meant to.

Slide Steel

10951095 views00 comments00 favs

Fat Patty sniffs the delicate waft of peat and sidles over, proffering a grope in exchange for a few wet-lipped swigs. Hell yes.

A Strategy to Overcome Rejection

10951095 views55 comments55 favs

“If your work is good you will get published. Just keep at it."

Eating Dim Sum with Di

10951095 views55 comments44 favs

Lindsey and I are both talking loudly about things we would never talk about in real life, under the impression that this is all somehow instructional for Di. But I think it's really more about us. Di gives us an excuse to talk like two people unjustifiab

Annals of the Naked Rowdies #3

10951095 views1515 comments44 favs

It was a dire and dun-colored year when groupies wept and autograph seekers put down their pens.

Too many leaves

10951095 views77 comments55 favs

This late November day there are too many leaves filling the yard.

The Sorry March to the Even Sorrier Sea

10951095 views88 comments33 favs

goes on and on. Like it's a sad mad season on Mars, well it isn't, is it? Sometimes I have towonder whatever happenedto us, to make us forget how well we already know how tosing as good as any larks do? I have never wantedto drown, but I've…

Trial Separation

10951095 views44 comments33 favs

"You're no good at sex, no good at drugs and, god knows, no good at rock and roll."

Happy Trails

10951095 views1010 comments77 favs

"But is it politically correct?" he asked. "Oh, yes," said Hank. "It's all the rage."

Journey

10951095 views88 comments44 favs

Do you know this song, Julia? I happened upon it one evening and only just before meeting you, a month before meeting, a month before arriving?

Vasilissa the Brave and Beautiful

10951095 views11 comment11 fav

When the dust cleared, she saw him, standing silently, bow and arrow in his left hand. His face was the same as her middle brother's, broad and handsome, his dark eyes slits for light. This was her father. …

Road Kill

10951095 views00 comments00 favs

We looked out into the darkness and then at our children. The dark of the forest was feeding them with ideas, filling their imaginations with things beautiful and things wicked.

A Change in Plan

10951095 views1313 comments1212 favs

Times were tough back then. Just a few jobs. This was in the late thirties. It's the story of how Albert hooked up with Iris. Their unlikely meeting took place when they met out on the Highway 61 right-of-way just outside of Natchez, Mississippi, each trying to hitch…

My Glass is Waiting

10951095 views33 comments11 fav

The trouble with alarm clocks is naturally that they are miserable. And their curse is that their misery is useful: we employ them because we want to get away from them. But we would never have one as a friend.

Vulgarity

10951095 views11 comment22 favs

suddenly she blurts out: “You are vulgar.” There is actually no perfect translation to it. “Bastos ka.” She meant I was vulgar, but also disgusting, distasteful, offensive, rude, salacious, obnoxious…

Road Trip

10941094 views11 comment00 favs

I'm sitting in a burned out skeletal frame of an old Cadillac on the side of Route 66 just outside of Kansas. Back home in New York State my sister is explaining to my mother that Jack Kerouac convinced me to run away even though he's been dead for years. They're…

The Street Of God Knows What & Other Stories

10941094 views33 comments22 favs

One night he woke up with Underdog laying next to him, breathing softly. He marveled at how fiction could make reality so much better.

Filter

10941094 views99 comments1111 favs

The brain taints everything it brings to us/ with its limited apparatus, its precepts,// all the things it thinks it knows.

creation

10941094 views00 comments00 favs

Leaving another seemingly pointless day at the office. 4:55pm. Winding through the office parking lot; turning right onto SE Convenience Blvd; inevitably pulling up to a red stoplight at the Orlabor intersection.My windshield is dirty. Speckled with thrown-up slush from…

Elevator to the Angels

10941094 views55 comments55 favs

I opened the closet door and there stood Eugène Ionesco lost among our clothes.

I Follow

10941094 views00 comments00 favs

Her shoes, left uninhibited below, seem sad but understanding, and she is so in love with something, which makes me so in love with the idea of her.

The Price of Empire

10941094 views22 comments11 fav

I saw three kids the other day, two girls and a boy, crouched in conspiracy

Cranshaw Engages in Debate

10941094 views1515 comments99 favs

They were discussing reincarnation, what animals they would come back as. "I'd be a vole," Cranshaw said. Is a vole even an animal? Connie asked.

Ojibwe

10941094 views00 comments00 favs

"Did I have a choice? Could I just open my eyes, did I have to ‘see’ as he was telling me now I could? I decided to go for it. What did I have to lose? This was all a dream, too much driving to get here, too much reunion, too much food, too much beer. Or

Questions of the Tenth Month

10941094 views33 comments22 favs

my loosening grip on time.

soften the lazy honey

10941094 views22 comments11 fav

Pots of wine crowding the forehead until irrational thought crowds out the stubborn lizard of sanity and, God knows, my elegance. What else is left? As the young seeks change, so will I. Seeks the carmine lip, so the white bud seeking God, the unchanged

The Tourists

10941094 views33 comments33 favs

He thought of his field trip from the previous year, of Prague’s museums, statues, squares, architecture, restaurants, and various modes of transport. The town offered none of these and surely no cinema, no crowds of people, not even an old church.

Marion, Texas

10941094 views22 comments22 favs

Marion had decided to stop whenever she came upon Amarillo. It was close to two a.m. when she pulled into the motel parking lot. Momma, read the nametag on the woman at reception. Her face was illuminated by a TV. Her hair curlers were illuminated by the lone desk lamp…

Ankles

10941094 views1010 comments99 favs

At five o’clock Jake joins the crowd at the back door, walks through the slush to the parking lot with Betty Boop.

Perchance to Dream

10941094 views1010 comments99 favs

Catherine, after another haunted, bewildering morning wondered if there might be a way to hide from her nightmares. Was there a way to trick them? Shouldn't she try? She drove over the bridge, something she didn't often do, to buy…