Most discussed stories

The Bowery Scene (Memoir, 1981; edited by Charlotte Curtis)

10151015 views00 comments00 favs

It is easy to look out on the Bowery and say, "There are the bums." Encountering one, however, even one who asks to "bum a quarter" or tells you he's "on the bum" the word "bum" slips away in one's mind...

Dry Rot

15011501 views00 comments00 favs

Sometimes Seattle's the next thing to heaven. The sky's diamond blue, the sun's a caress; your whole soul can breathe. You know what the shouting's about. But the sun quickly fades to Protestant gray and the gray last a long…

Eight Maids a'Milking

13851385 views00 comments00 favs

“… and that concludes my presentation. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.” Meixu Liao smiled and turned her hands out, palms upwards. Americans typically saw this combination of facial expression and body language as conveyin

The Spider and the Corpse, Or, The Corpse and the Spider

12761276 views00 comments00 favs

The corpse lay silently in his open casket. Dressed in the finest silken suit. Italian. Rubber skin pulled over his bones. Arms folded in eternal prayer.

U-11 Soccer Girls Gone Wild

957957 views00 comments00 favs

Do you think your mom would come out and take off her shirt, the way Brandi Chastain did the last time the U.S. women won the World’s Cup?

Captivity

709709 views00 comments00 favs

Shining white glisten stones Tie us to true vows we throw Luring notes they never know Commit us to the great unknown Inspiration of flights of fancy Allow us freedom kept in secrecy Promised jewels tease with ecstasy Honors respect clothed in fantasy Circles of…

The House on El Nino Diablo Court, Part 2

939939 views00 comments00 favs

Inspired by "The Dunwich Horror"" by H.P. Lovecraft, this excerpt concerns the events in the life of a man who is coming to the awareness that his son has followed in his grandfather's steps and begun the process of conjuring a spirit that killed him.

Cymbals

12361236 views00 comments00 favs

On stage, students from the junior college join children from the community to speak and sing in American-French accents. They are timid, heart-broken, in love, rebellious, faithful, resigned to their fates—and all in the matter of a few short hours.

Through Darkly Tinted Glass

867867 views00 comments00 favs

Something much longer.

Arcana Magi Memorial Vol.6 - c.1

897897 views00 comments00 favs

With a deep breath she closed her eyes. Azure saw where she was at through night vision.

Bloody Knuckles

11441144 views00 comments00 favs

My tongue kept me from fitting in with the latinos. I understood little Spanish and spoke even less. No one really believed I was Mexican, and they kept me at a distance. Or maybe I kept them at a distance. Living with

My Ten Chapter Memoir

779779 views00 comments00 favs

I am always impressed with your intelligence. I love watches. I'm not interested in time. I am well read so talking to myself can be fun.

Mowin' Round the Dead [W-I-P]

13471347 views00 comments00 favs

By the time I was born, my parents were already sickened, blackened, blighted people.

The Crossing

986986 views00 comments00 favs

His left hand is still clutching the blue Bic lighter in his pocket, rubbing it slowly but firmly. Anticipation is building, filling Theodore up like a combustible gas inside of a too-small container.

Posy

879879 views00 comments00 favs

I hear you calling me, as if through water spilled within a glass--

The Garage Sale

939939 views00 comments11 fav

She excelled at plowing forward. He excelled at staying in one place. Eventually the distances got too great and she put an ocean between them.

Literally Choose Your Own Adventure

13261326 views00 comments00 favs

You enter the lobby of the office building tentatively at first - you're a little nervous about this interview, after all - but you recall how spectacular and professional you dressed that morning. Plus you read through the company's LinkedIn profile at least five times…

Girls

803803 views00 comments00 favs

Every boy on the boardwalk stared when she and Rosa walked by, everyone of them had their sweet wet dream about the Dominguez sisters.

gravelortian part 1

737737 views00 comments00 favs

our house gives him a cold again

Excelsior - A Poem in 9 Parts (post 4 of 5)

896896 views00 comments00 favs

VI. At Antares Alpha A pyramid carries four sides: only this one Is surmounted by a circle, and its cone Has all of what we claimed within its cargo, Or that shall never find a plan, or transit now; Though the sulphur and carmine skies that…

The Widow

915915 views00 comments00 favs

When the village slept, the men came knocking.

Actor-Activist

14401440 views00 comments00 favs

A dark-haired, handsome man adjusted the headset he was wearing, leaned toward a microphone, and eyed his host, a curly-haired man with a toothy grin, who sat up straight as he received a cue from his producer.

Dead Bear

842842 views00 comments00 favs

Most likely, the dead bear would be such a mind-fuck for the building crew that they’d probably just remove it quietly. There could be fines and reports and loads of paperwork involved…news would spread and inspections would follow. Yep, they would probab

Sweet Charity

830830 views00 comments00 favs

Troy approached the podium and cleared his throat.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 44

806806 views00 comments00 favs

He found a small place on a side street, Bar Oiseaux Ésotérique. There was a sign on the door that read: Jazz Ce Soir: Giovanni Lezardino: Jazz grillé et sautés. Ben had met Lezardino at the Newport Jazz Festival last year.

Layover

800800 views00 comments00 favs

The concourse had become his second home, he knew it that well. His fellow passengers were the houseguests he couldn't get rid of, the workers at the restaurants and gift shops a personal…

The Awakening

957957 views00 comments00 favs

Aura arrives with the incense and her mysteries. Her scent of wet earth, and crushed flowers, a touch of Jasmine and Frankincense. Her dark hands passing over my body, her warmth. A whisper. A prayer.

Four, in the Morning

10021002 views00 comments22 favs

We’d told her that Kasey waitressed. We talked about it a lot, trying to figure something out. I wanted to be honest with her. Kasey said she was too young to understand. I said that was why honesty wouldn’t hurt anything. Kasey said what about later.

The Devil's Bedpost

28212821 views00 comments00 favs

A cellphone vibrates ineffectually against unfeeling skin. One last rivulet of blood slowly oozes down the wall as it dries. The rest of the room is still.

The Jewish Goodbye

14521452 views00 comments00 favs

"And secondly, it’s never bing bing bing with you. It’s like, bing bang bongity bumbity bum yadda yadda bla bla bla.” Sam stopped short and glanced down at his shoes. He knew he’d gone too far.