Most discussed stories

Monogamy

955955 views33 comments33 favs

cummings starts to sniff, his usual routine. He feigns aloofness while raising one wolfy leg to pee on Eliot's sneakers.

Police And Thieves

11191119 views33 comments00 favs

Chapter one I was sitting in the doctor's office. For weeks, my nerves had been on edge, and I had been feeling like he was going to have a nervous breakdown. I needed the help of a professional. It was hard for me to admit this. I was taught that a man handled…

Presage

11761176 views33 comments11 fav

I am calling to tell you what’s going to happen tomorrow.

Ymir

940940 views33 comments33 favs

Ymir used to be a big nothing;Now he's everything.His hair is the grass, the trees, the reedsHis scalp is the desertHis skull is the empty vault of spaceHis brain is telecommunicationsHis skin is a reality made of matter and miragesHis forehead is the Ten CommandmentsHis…

Absolution

772772 views33 comments33 favs

Father, trouble me memory;laconic, idle, some glint on the dark. Recall us to me: what did we have, or what did we lose? Like some late affection, open me again, laugh it out of us. It is not loss I'm looking toput back together, papered over…

Killing Hope

11451145 views33 comments22 favs

Hope was beauty before I even knew what beauty was with her golden pigtails, brilliant blue eyes and an infectious smile — even after Jamie Delano flung his Frisbee, knocking out Hope’s two front teeth.

Snack

977977 views33 comments22 favs

Kerryn saved us from ourselves really. Would you be reading this had she eaten it?

Confidence

977977 views33 comments22 favs

one day the words will form an order, one day the words will make a rhyme, one day the words will make a meaning

WE WOKE UP LEAN

874874 views33 comments00 favs

We were careful not to wake the kids & goodbye with a handshake & my skeleton is trapped with your universe inside.

Bad Monkey

10981098 views33 comments33 favs

The hotel sits on the highest point in Shimla: a place of cedar-scented air, an aggressive monkey population, and summer houses left by the British Raj.

A Rough Dance

10321032 views33 comments00 favs

A young woman is seated center stage. She is pretty, dressed in a short nightgown. She sits nervously, her body tense and expectant.

Call the Cultbusters!

11911191 views33 comments22 favs

My twin sister Ilene has recently taken up with a man named “Darrell,” who is a member of the Shriner's Fun Korps, a motorized paramilitary group.

The Weather in Paradise

11061106 views33 comments33 favs

I immediately felt anxious guilt, being the one responsible for opening the way for infection.

decades since minutes with moments to

473473 views33 comments22 favs

the drive-ins now are dead and gone / where once we laught through splatter films: / our screens too small, our horrors do not fit— / no monumental screens are left, / no close-ups show us what we think we fear.

Beards

14041404 views33 comments22 favs

One day my mother's lover shaved his beard and legs. Said he couldn’t fit into his tight jeans anymore.

Undressing The Moon

964964 views33 comments00 favs

the white moon is dangling by a thread tonight you close your eyes and listen to it undress and suppress, suppress you listen to it undress while you yourself hang lifeless in your own arms not meaning to do yourself any harm, not

Burying the Hatchet

570570 views33 comments00 favs

I wanted the pain to go away

Echoes

11491149 views33 comments22 favs

...Heroin. It helped them get through the tricks and sucked up their flesh.

An Old Sweet Song

14981498 views33 comments22 favs

Rob thought he might even make it. He'd stopped off south of Seattle, in Kent, and filled up the tank and went back in the can and topped off again. He got back on the road, to all appearances blase, blase. The montages were muted, at least for…

My Smelly Valentine

12271227 views33 comments22 favs

He asked me if I was going to buy Valentine's for the office this year, and I shook my head. We were in the dollar store, February 13, and I could get a box of twenty kids' Valentines with last year's favourite cartoon…

Shaken not stirred

847847 views33 comments22 favs

The warmth of the sun

Zom Prom Mom

17541754 views33 comments22 favs

We fucked in the backseat like the verse of a b-side, and that was enough to make him think my boys were half of his body.

Searching for the Word

11391139 views33 comments22 favs

I separate my thoughts into two / camps

Circling '84

13751375 views33 comments33 favs

Other things are on my mind when the Tupperware lady says, "First, let's move your couch over by the door and the table here."

Ask Mr. Fix-It!

19231923 views33 comments11 fav

Got a home repair question? Ask Mr. Fix-It! He usually knows the answer, and if not, your problem isn’t worth fixing.

Butterflies are the souls of dead babies

10421042 views33 comments11 fav

When he leaves, she collects all the caterpillars she can find at the bottom of the garden and sits cross-legged in the shade of the buddleia. She makes a hollow in her skirt and drops in the smooth green, the furry black, the red, spotted and the spiny ones and watches as…

The Feet Must Go

10451045 views33 comments00 favs

There's something wrong with my feet, if they are my feet at all.

Weather Forecasting

672672 views33 comments33 favs

By the time the forked tongue of the flag extended flat like it was pressed between two of my thick volumes on weather forecasting, the man was still walking with his nose glued to the ground.

There’s No Peace In The World

658658 views33 comments33 favs

Then there was the time I splurged, hoping a higher-priced phone might keep me from slamming it against the wall.

Elevator Neighbors (from The New Yorker)

15291529 views33 comments44 favs

“Do you think she paints?” “Her face, a little, But don’t you find her kind of bony?”