Most discussed stories

Slightly Down And Off To The Left

435435 views55 comments55 favs

It was just her way. Slightly down and off to the left. Mom never looked anyone in the eye.

Deliverance

614614 views55 comments44 favs

Bleeding quietly

Honduras

17401740 views55 comments22 favs

In Honduras they say a prayer that sounds like screaming at the top of your lungs...

Hellgate

11731173 views55 comments33 favs

Either it was rescue--if the customer was alive to be found--or recovery, the term for bringing out the dead.

Thoughts After Arriving Home from the Cafe Havana

883883 views55 comments11 fav

If someone told me like people do / that I am a good person / I will never believe them / mostly because I own a mirror / but also because I have lived with myself / for the rest of my life

Into the Mystic

974974 views55 comments44 favs

Writing opens doors to perception. For example, the glockenspiel smells of gardenias, but the catwalk is opening a can of Franklin stove. It emits fumes of fairyland and olive. And in the green and pleasant country of Scotland and England, vintage trains go…

Advice For Aspiring Writers

10241024 views55 comments44 favs

Published writers will tell you that the most important thing you can do as a beginning writer is to know your markets! So this month, we'll talk about two of the markets open to you and your riveting but as yet unpublished prose -- Fling Magazine and Clubhouse…

Mother O'Grady's Last

10311031 views55 comments44 favs

Christmas night was closing in at the Cantrips alehouse in Aberdeen, a firm favourite for riggers and other men and women who lived life close to the horizon. Sometimes, on a Saturday night, things might get a bit rowdy but Mother O'Grady would stand firm and bring out…

In the League of Extraordinary Matrix Hulks

11791179 views55 comments22 favs

I got a chance to study story structure, character development, and writing of dialogue in an intense boot camp laced with orange jello and intravenous drugs.

Ghost Searches Downtown

12761276 views55 comments22 favs

No one told a story.

I Once Knew a Sparkledrop

10601060 views55 comments00 favs

"And then I, and I believe, I alone, saw this small child run..."

66 W

12701270 views55 comments44 favs

He said he'd meet me at the Lyric before curtains. For drinks. Only he didn't. Which was OK. The seat was softer, roomier without him. Buzzer rang, doors closed. His loss. Rusalka was clearer. More resonant. Vibrant. Better. …

The Heart Does Not Know What It Cannot Have

12211221 views55 comments33 favs

“I take him to see all those sexy movies,” she said, “because it puts the passion back in him. I love what he does to me when we get back home after those movies.”

#53 Cut Up

904904 views55 comments44 favs

I loved her when she first came calling in the sodden dawn of spring. She was a strange and dangerous flower. Together we drank up all the money. The days staggered away like drunks lurching down a flophouse hall.

Vesper

10251025 views55 comments44 favs

. . . how a body calls in the dark. . .

It Was the Heart of the Sixties

783783 views55 comments11 fav

I remember Freddie K bringing these fat Thai joints back with him from Viet Nam, and just one of those things would get us all so stoned at parties in Jolene’s upstairs apartment that we felt as if we could float down the long flight of stairs like we w

Understanding Poetry, the Hard Way

571571 views55 comments00 favs

My relationship to poetry resembles that of Patty Hearst, the newspaper heiress, to her abductors.

Her Head Sounserals Away

12381238 views55 comments33 favs

"Bortne! Bortne! Shushort!" she exclaims, shooting her hands over her wobbly head in pleasure, causing it to again pop off. This time, it's a three story drop from a balcony. Terrified, he yells "Sneeeeew nuuuu! Oh nee padoooo!"

Bondage, to the rivers that bind

12961296 views55 comments33 favs

Waft­ing wisps of fond­ness twin­kling in time with fairy lights point­ing out lawns in cities

Coffee Foam

10381038 views55 comments33 favs

We entered the castle at dawn. The dim light feebly illumined an array of antiques and medieval weapons. Bats dangled from the high vaulted ceiling, enfolded in membranous wings. What were once chandeliers radiating light were encrusted with webs and the ancient wax…

Boring Boy

684684 views55 comments11 fav

Deslauriers taught that of the five derogatory items a girl could be—bitch, slut, tease, frigid, whore—tease was the worst. Having a German Shepherd at home protected Liz. My family had a cat, female and black.

Grandma's Fingers

10581058 views55 comments66 favs

her hands twined up, as carved from stone, each to fit the other.

The Medicine

10621062 views55 comments55 favs

It wasn't pain but half of it, so half of it I mended

More news, another fugue...

574574 views55 comments55 favs

...he'd made a regrettable deal for Monkeydick long long ago, and the pain was deep, and it never went away.

The Dead Horse on CNN

11991199 views55 comments00 favs

The dead horse on CNN was floating there in the floodwater

Scoop

13071307 views55 comments11 fav

“What about the other groups coming here?” I ask. “Were they asked what they wanted in these houses?” She turns and looks at me, like I've suddenly come onto her radar.

It Came to Pass After This

10941094 views55 comments33 favs

We sat in silence, the entire train, the few other passengers in anxious wait to see if I would change my mind. We all flipped pages, glanced up at each other, looked away when noticed.

C O N F L A T E

13921392 views55 comments22 favs

She jumped into the hole the other day. The hole that sucks little girls into the universe, and doesn't return them. I had to watch it. I had to watch her sitting on the dock. Lean over, and fall in. I couldn't have saved her. Nor God. Or Jesus. Not the bridge. …

Missed Connection

11551155 views55 comments22 favs

You said it looked like I could use some dietary counseling and rolled your eyes. I was too tired to be a smart-ass and just smirked. If you'd like to offer advice in person, reply here.

A Killing in the Market

12091209 views55 comments44 favs

Everyone hoped to be assigned somewhere they could just drop in on their way home for Memorial Day weekend. Someone said, Blake, you’re single. You hate your family, don’t you?