Most discussed stories

Reconstruction

10641064 views88 comments88 favs

My favorite lie is that he'd escaped the South Tower before it collapsed. Smoke inhalation erased his way home. Mine's better than mother's version: a stranger hurled herself onto him. The truth is when they stopped search and rescue, mother told father, Go. Even dead, his…

For Kate

12241224 views88 comments44 favs

I had to kill someone today. Do not be alarmed, she was only real to me.

So You Want to Write a Screenplay for a Children's Movie

35493549 views88 comments55 favs

For starters, someone must be dead. That’s the golden rule to remember here. And if that someone is mom, you’ve got a hit on your hands.

Maritzer's Axiom

13971397 views88 comments66 favs

We were just as bourgeois as Bloomingdale’s, one generation past canned ravioli dinners with cheap white bread.

Some Things Can't Be Fixed

394394 views88 comments77 favs

Orchids strewn over the floor...

Awaken Sleepy Star

15201520 views88 comments77 favs

Don't sleep. Tiny orange Balloons like seahorses are bobbing This way and that trying To get your hair to lift Off its marvelously mud- Swamped and pillowy support beams, blue sea strand by green. Don't you want to see…

The Tale of a Fat Ugly Crow on a May Afternoon

698698 views88 comments77 favs

a fat crow rapturously caws over its good fortune... not a morsel left on the street, not even a bloodstain

Bitter Love Story

14161416 views88 comments22 favs

the dogneck gave no support

No Respect

11401140 views88 comments88 favs

I roll over on the gurney or bed or whatever they call it and pull down my pants and underpants. The nurse gives me a shot in each cheek.

Wet funeral

13421342 views88 comments88 favs

I know now, how she moves without verbs after you crushed her into the river.

Proprietary

10061006 views88 comments66 favs

One by one the hundred matte black drones hummed awake. The buzz was loud on the tiny airfield but died out soon among the waving amber heads of Kansas wheat that surrounded the unsigned base.

The Red Suitcase: Part 1

883883 views88 comments44 favs

He had become an accessory to a murder.

There is a Sadness

883883 views88 comments88 favs

now I cannot shake. I am only one person. Thereis a sadness I cannot understand. Fathom. Control. Manipulate. Detonate.I used to kiss her tenderly. Do you think this sadness is wise to us? Don't point that gun at me! There is a sadness. There is another war. Iam…

A Word About Everything

699699 views88 comments44 favs

I remember having a beer once And feeling like a minor god And I know in some lie you told Your life began making sense And I also know that the mind likes logic But the heart loves chaos I just hope flies land on the butter of your soul

The serious writer and her bush

12251225 views88 comments00 favs

The serious writer looks back on a long and distinguished career as an herbologist.

Stroke

10391039 views88 comments77 favs

She doesn't regret that they hadn't spoken. What did they have to say to each other, anyway?

Stan Smith

965965 views88 comments55 favs

Ah we just sat on the flat roof of the school and looked out at what was beyond because sometimes there is nothin' to do but sit on a flat roof of a school and look out at what is beyond. Going up there I had told him to be careful with the bag because if he didn't take…

Memoir 2.4

10831083 views88 comments77 favs

He invited her in for a Martini and she graciously accepted.

Nadja on Nadja -- an excerpt

986986 views88 comments33 favs

"I would like my pictures to look as if a human being had passed between them, like a snail, leaving a trail of the human presence, memory trace of past events, as the snail leaves its slime." Francis bacon “Feminine …

A Girl / An Elderly Woman / A Bear

13551355 views88 comments44 favs

A girl waiting at the door, heart in a Ziploc. An elderly woman stopping at the bank. A bear in a screaming contest with a troop of girl scouts.

Eviction

17001700 views88 comments44 favs

Tell me your hero and I'll tell you what's cooking with you...

Busking for Free

918918 views88 comments77 favs

I'll always remember those warm, weekend twilights on the beach after the frolic of the waves seemed to flatten with the impending dusk, sending the surfers home and, after the bait was spent, sending the surfcasters away, I'd claim a square of sand as my stage,…

Weeds

956956 views88 comments44 favs

on cd I make john hiatt does not smash perfectly good guitar

Straight to Jimbo

10891089 views88 comments77 favs

...coming into that bone yard, you just hang a right, go on past La Fontaine, and take a left a bit further on. Jimbo's right up in there.

WWJRD

16291629 views88 comments77 favs

On a visit, Jesus sees bracelets with WWJD. What does that mean? he asks. What Would Jesus Do? they respond. I wouldn’t wear that, he says.

Hot Flashes

10261026 views88 comments77 favs

On high a centaur is pulling a yellow chicken on a sled.

BUNGEE

917917 views88 comments66 favs

The drop is like a hangman's drop, an executioner's, but farther and longer, perhaps three or four seconds.

Billy Strayhorn: A Short, Gay and Lush Life of Beauty

19901990 views88 comments77 favs

“I don't have any position for you,” Ellington told Strayhorn. “You'll do whatever you feel like doing.”

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 5

11741174 views88 comments55 favs

When the cab dropped Frank at his address at seven that evening, he noticed the lights were on in Michiko’s apartment.

The Parade Route

692692 views88 comments66 favs

There will be no more internal birds like singing clocks, not like the lovely ones I know and still look forward to hearing, ringing like little bells in the church y belfry of the newly sprouting mornings to come, not unless the birds…