Recommended stories

Strange Land

728728 views00 comments00 favs

I was still18 years old when the plane landed in South Korea. It was 10AM, Friday. Stepping off the jet way, it could have been any airport in America. But it wasn't. As soon as we got in the airport we were hustled to Customs. Filled out a bunch of forms. Asked…

Haiku for National Poetry Day 2012

142142 views00 comments00 favs

Late morning sun,Windows are all open:Autumn's last warm day?

Stanley

779779 views00 comments00 favs

For some employees the job was simply a job, another day towards another paycheque towards another Friday night spent at the bar wondering just exactly when life decided to start with the kidney punches.

One Amber Down, Two to Go

828828 views00 comments00 favs

I am brave, I am sexy, I am strong

For Seven Days

673673 views00 comments00 favs

The fluorescents above a constant hum. A hymn. The child lay on the bed as the parents worriedly hovered. Fretted and dreaded. Tubes and wires led from the broken body to machines and computers that fed and cataloged every minute detail occurring in the collapsing system.…

Stableford

497497 views00 comments00 favs

Mike Summer's moustache was perfect. Hard bristle and so symmetrical it looked cut to the angles of a military imperative. He was pretty proud of it, thought the team of beaters, who watched him as he sat on the boot ledge of his sage green Mercedes 123 T, combing…

A Sacrifice For God And Man

14311431 views00 comments00 favs

The words of prophets only serve to demonstrate that ‘unreliable narrative’ can often result in poor literature; unfortunately, poor literature can attract a very large following.

Arcana Magi - c.25: Satisfaction

10741074 views00 comments00 favs

Danica stared at her hand as she felt he warmth of the wind. She remembered Alysia saying that she felt the wind through the heat.

Destiny

896896 views00 comments00 favs

With a madman’s laugh, she realized her mistake and discarded it as irrelevant.

The Locker Room

24922492 views00 comments00 favs

"Buzz off," Jeff said. "You don't even know what a lesbian is."

Cause of Death

861861 views00 comments00 favs

“You sure?” He nods. “Maybe it was pneuomonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.” Flash of a smile, sobbing laughter, like an abandoned seal.

George the Coward on Staying Home

806806 views00 comments00 favs

He knew she’d spend the day furiously scrubbing the best she could too, despite the hot house in the middle of a Southern Summer, and despite no matter how hard she tried, the place would always look filthy.

Arcana Magi Zero Arc 3 - c.1

764764 views00 comments00 favs

Kenichi the boar arrived from the forest with the other elders. The police officers stepped back, awed by these large nature creatures.

Old Egg

12001200 views00 comments00 favs

He must have been pleased with his composition, as he repeated and repeated and repeated it. Paul joined in the song. Then the children at neighboring tables joined too, until the song rose into a dining hall chorus.

A Hall of Mirrors

967967 views00 comments00 favs

My face in your face The light in your eyes Dancing and twirling Growing, alive A hall of mirrors reflecting me Shards of glass Silver and black Injure and cut Years of bad luck A hall of mirrors protecting me Wrinkles and bags Time's been unkind Disease and…

Full Frame

10471047 views00 comments00 favs

A month before the real flowers came, amputated trees for 31 miles were festooned with pink blossoms. The petals were tufts of Fiberglass insulation shorn from houses incapable of withstanding 260-mph winds -- more than twice the punch Katrina delivered t

Flying the Potty-Mouthed Skies

794794 views00 comments00 favs

People think being the best-selling author of the Pokey Little Bunny™ series of children’s books is nothing but cream-filled cupcakes, but they’re wrong.

The Great Dying, Pt. 2

10261026 views00 comments00 favs

"Great! Great. I got your message . . . yeah, it’s a little long. It’s 140 *words*, not characters . . . "

Remembering a Life

696696 views00 comments00 favs

“Yes. You should probably bring her in.” This was what the receptionist from the Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital told me. My dog, Goldie, had a bloody nose and was breathing heavily.

The View From Cezanne's Studio

662662 views00 comments00 favs

I turned and looked– Sainte-Victoire stood there, a shell against the sea of a sky.

Nevermore

942942 views00 comments00 favs

One said 'Yes, I remember.' He was dark and tall and slender A masterful pretender who laid roses on the floor Appearing on the eve of morrow, so slow and full of sorrow With a costume he did borrow, borrowed from the poet's lore From the rare and rad

Of Poems About Figs and Farts

749749 views00 comments00 favs

When Prince Rainier III asked an expert whether there was a literature of Monaco, her research produced only a suggestive ode to a fig and a poem about a fart.

Expiration Date

10101010 views00 comments00 favs

Ever since they switched from paper scripts to the little rubber balls branded with code I have been inundated with sickness.

Half Awake in a Fake Empire

998998 views00 comments00 favs

Cooking dinner for one in a city that isn’t my home. A beautiful city that I’m slowly losing interest in, just as I become a local. In a tiny apartment set in the most realistic part of town, I’ve turned the music up loud to drown out my thoughts.

A Ship of Bones

822822 views00 comments00 favs

Make paddles of his hands Use his skull to bail Rig his thigh bones for a mast And his skin to make a sail

Alexander & Diogenes

756756 views00 comments00 favs

Alexander, Macedonian Boy-King, / having arrived at conquered Corinth, said: / "I would like to meet that famous madman / this land of wisdom-loving fools has bred."

HVAC is so sexy. What?

873873 views00 comments00 favs

We had imagined making babies with ease, as if they were simply fruit- ripening on the trees around us- and all we had to do is stretch out our limbs and pluck. We never imagined that skill is involved, that heartbreak is required, and that the one simpl

Mister and Miss Marital Bliss

786786 views00 comments00 favs

The canvas bag lay crumpled and moaning in the middle of the room as Mister and Miss Marital Bliss contemplated what to do to it next. Spots of deep crimson blossomed like spring flowers all over the white sack and a large pool had gathered underneath. Rivulets of blood…

Arcana Magi Zero + Pure - c.3

843843 views00 comments00 favs

They followed the crow up a hill, where lights were at its brightest below. The teens stood frozen in time.

Elegy on a country rooftop

811811 views00 comments00 favs

Willa knows why Jimmy reached for the thirty ought six Chambered a round With three more clinking in his pants pocket And took to the roof