Recommended stories

The Yellow Wonder

12881288 views22 comments00 favs

Whenever I hear Adam Sandler's song, “My Piece of Shit Car”, it brings back memories. Notice I don't say fond memories. It brings me back just like the really bad backwash regurgitation flavor…

Broken Bulbs - Chapter One

11331133 views11 comment11 fav

And here I am again. I chew my nails. I tap my foot. I chew my nails. I sweat. I bleed. My nose bleeds. It drips. I drip. I'm dripping through my chair.

Anticipation

791791 views11 comment00 favs

Two minutes later Alicia Morgan stepped out of her car. Her smile faltered momentarily and he saw that she assumed the mistake was hers

Weather

931931 views11 comment00 favs

I liked E first because she knew all the words to "Alice's Restaurant." Everybody knows "American Pie," but "Alice's," that's impressive. We used to cut class in high school and drive around listening to it, and I'd try to pretend I knew the words, but I never did, so…

Closest Living Relative

906906 views22 comments00 favs

Uncles. Cousins. Enos. No matter how loosely a net is woven, eventually the strands come together again.

Willy Takes the Night Train to Heaven

14001400 views22 comments00 favs

a store called ROCKING FROCKS. In its window was a black tee shirt that said in big white letters, I'M NOT A SLUT, I'M WITH THE BAND.

Lunch, daily.

936936 views11 comment00 favs

She’s not settling. She can learn to like this.

Out(side) of my mind

773773 views11 comment00 favs

I leave you because you violently told me to, I still love you because I told you I always would.

Bedtime Stories

10271027 views11 comment00 favs

Even before I tap on the door I know I am being watched with one eye. My footsteps have surely given me away. A swift tug on it reveals her to me—half of her, that is, and I slink past the threshold, to her. From her eyes I see that she has…

Mickey and Harriet

906906 views11 comment00 favs

Ellie's got two parrots. She owns the house down the block to the left where the golf club owner fixes her grounds and garage because he can't stop working on his vacation. …

Bunnies

12061206 views11 comment00 favs

I laughed maniacally in my head at the thought, but I kept picking at it all the same, the bunnies had plans for us.

Nell

11811181 views11 comment00 favs

Was it hope or despair that drove her to walk out the door of the place she had called home for the past twenty years? Did she feel sorrow or relief to leave behind a husband and five children?

A mostly true story about the TI-83

14371437 views11 comment00 favs

And the only time the TI-83 sees the light of day is when I'm rectifying my debit card purchases at such places as Kmart, Office Depot, Walmart, and Office Max, to make sure everything comes out even and good and perfect, a skill never learned in Trysics,

Sad News

13541354 views00 comments00 favs

They got out wearing their crisp brown Army jackets and khaki pants; she saw the cross on the lapel of the officer's shirt and just knew. These men brought sad news from faraway places.

A THOUSAND PARROTS

10671067 views11 comment00 favs

  The parrots woke Eddie up. That and Rocker snoring in the twin bed. A thousand parrots flying over the motel? They squawked, God how they…

LIES

921921 views22 comments00 favs

When I was nine years old, I fell through the rotting boards that covered my grandmother's cesspool and nearly drowned.

Post

984984 views11 comment00 favs

Beyond the parrots and the palms, she can see an airplane resting in the canyon below, belly up, wings like outstretched arms, the occupants inside presumably rotting in their seats.

The Martians Are Coming

10971097 views11 comment00 favs

"I read a cute animal story yesterday," I tell them. "And I was filled with rage. I can't live like this. There must be no more bears, or hamster-bears, or manatees, being hopeless and depressed. There must be no more cute animal stories—ever."

New Year's Resolution

776776 views22 comments00 favs

“Hey, come on and sit down,” Jake motioned to her. It was three in the morning and after way too many gins the last thing Melisa wanted to do on New Year’s Eve was to chat with her ex-boyfriend. In fact if she had known he was goin

Old, Broken Toys

849849 views11 comment00 favs

A boy sits in a room filled with old, broken toys. A mother is in the next room reading Cosmopolitan, dreaming of a life that should have been hers. There is the zoo and an unnecessary stroller on a very humid day, beads of sweat dripping slowly down a face. A trip to the…

Disappearing

876876 views11 comment00 favs

They say nothing, but instead watch the birds and people hovering. Every day is an echo of the one before, and the weight of waiting has begun to show itself in the stature of the tiny man and his little old wife. …

Untitled

11841184 views11 comment00 favs

What else, H, is there to say about heartbreak? What else could it be but our hands, cupped as if holding water against our chests, then broken into halves. Or the picture of this one, pretending to load a gun. Or this one, soaked in smoke—asking for

Tragic Love

733733 views22 comments00 favs

So lie there like a sodden Brussel Sprout. Leave your paramour to thrash about in vain.

True Lu

12671267 views11 comment00 favs

Lu peeked at his cards again. They were still jacks, and they still looked mighty nice.

Passing Time

14591459 views22 comments00 favs

A surreal conversation in a library hints at something else.

THE TICK IS FULL

16821682 views11 comment00 favs

Mark looked at the barrel. Will had filled it to within inches of the top, and that meant the water was cold enough to take away breath, cold enough to make lips turn blue. Even if it had sat all day in the sun, the bottom would be cold, but now, after

The Color of Faith

13201320 views11 comment00 favs

My best friend Khaled’s idea was, he’d set up a pool tournament. Nine-ball. Each church would send a player, and whichever church won, he’d join. Any church that wouldn’t shoot pool, he wouldn’t want to join.

The Crescent Caretaker

15171517 views22 comments11 fav

Enter Tipitina’s – the rotation hole where electric, shoeless uncles allocate their copper goulashes to catch white dripwater.

Animal Shadows

12361236 views22 comments00 favs

One day when they were sitting on the curb together at 4th Street and Mendocino Avenue in Santa Rosa and Joe was calling out to passers by in a singsong voice, “Spare change for cigs,” she had persuaded them that they should try to join the circus.

Between Our Words

10751075 views11 comment11 fav

There are problems we lovingly fashion . . .