Recommended stories

The Company's Sprinkler Heads

12731273 views22 comments00 favs

I am alive, and I am hungry. Angry, I want more. I am not content with what you're offering me. Forty hours a week, two weeks vacation. A mortgage and car payments. Wife and kids, a dog in the suburbs. It's all incredibly unexciting, unsatisfying.

No Leg To Stand On

15201520 views22 comments22 favs

He had no leg to stand on and so what could he do but fall down, which is exactly what he did.

THE LATE SOLICITORS

815815 views11 comment11 fav

Writers, in general, enjoy the solitude that their profession allows, or more precisely, requires. I consider myself a member of that generalized group, along with a more exclusive club of writers who also tolerate an occasional…

Puppet X, 4

619619 views11 comment11 fav

I'm not a practicing angel, ladies and gentlemen Got these penny wings out of boredom I need to know that black and grey place inside an angel where you bow your head, when a puppet forgets himself, when a man learns how smal

For Linebacker-Poets, Annual Award Ceremony a Jarring Hit

894894 views33 comments11 fav

Dutton felt thwarted in his literary career, producing only the classic "Here I sit all broken-hearted, paid a nickel to crap and only farted" in a locker room stall at halftime of the 1963 Weedwacker Bowl.

City Streak

871871 views22 comments11 fav

the little crummy salon that churned out little fat women with pinked curly hair

Emerald City Days/Nights

11421142 views11 comment11 fav

But Jake doesn't hear anything. He is pure, unfiltered, liquid rage. Jake kicks Rolex dude once, twice, five times in the ribs. On the last kick, there is a snapping sound.

Letters from the Asylum (3)

13601360 views22 comments11 fav

She stepped into a pair of high heeled slippers and began to dance. She was Salome, a witch, dancing like the most beautiful, the most skilled whores of Paris.

Europa Sonnets - Interstice 1

792792 views33 comments11 fav

Interstice 1 Carved apart for Zion, set against a void,The wrecking dell of yet the Second War,Does Operation Hellstorm fill the floorOf still the firestormed ballroom? We forsworeOur filiality in killing you, and EidBells the invasion's consummation: and besideThe…

The Baby Pool

852852 views11 comment11 fav

I want to fly like a snail. Yes, snails fly in their minds, so does the brain of the ocean. Does a man want to drown in the ersatz of desire? You must understand me. You and I swam together. They call it escape velocity.

Three Eights

721721 views33 comments11 fav

He fingered his remaining chips and the usual nervousness tingled at his spine.

Sunday Evening, 4:23AM

935935 views22 comments11 fav

The rhythm of my breathing is a litany of regret.

Out Walked Bud: The Manic Life and Obscure Death of Bud Powell

735735 views22 comments11 fav

From the opening bars that conjure up the sounds of European auto horns, "Parisian Thoroughfare" is as light as French pastry, as free and airy as a skirt blown by the wind.

Séjours linguistiques

14331433 views22 comments00 favs

I linger and pretend that I’m not there, you find me in the end but I’ll not dare to speak the words I only know to write.

Must've Done Something, Right?

520520 views22 comments11 fav

I hope you’re happy, she said. Fucker!

Your words.

798798 views11 comment11 fav

Your words are Ambien.

After Reading Signs in a Club with a Dress Code

993993 views11 comment11 fav

I like violence / because they refused to pay at attention to me / as a child.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 66

906906 views11 comment11 fav

Jack Krackenthorpe, Director-General of MI-5, sat alone drinking tea in Lee Ho Fook, a third-rate Chinese restaurant in Soho a mile from his Curzon Street office.

Everybody Be Cool, This is a Robbery!

862862 views22 comments11 fav

Wesley did not rob banks in Banning County. Wesley Roberts was the sheriff of Banning County; robbing its banks would have created a conflict of interest.

festejo

740740 views11 comment11 fav

ocean and hungermy two companions at saillike Madness and Beauty separated at birth

Your Honky-Tonk Heart

525525 views22 comments11 fav

I found you at Darrell’s, the bar down the street. A place where loose women and tight men might meet.

Diamond Dash

854854 views33 comments11 fav

I pointed to the strange man. “Who’s this?” I said. Ethan looked puzzled. “That’s a man with his head on fire.”

Five Million Yen: Chapter 52

901901 views22 comments11 fav

—Hey, lover man, where’s my breakfast? said Monique, tousling Ben’s hair.

Furniture Fights

26732673 views33 comments11 fav

It amazes me that with everything this woman has to be depressed about, what really gets her down is an inadequate lounge chair.

Without A Trace

15131513 views33 comments11 fav

There, at that cabin, she had first tasted the back of a hand in anger, the sting of a horsewhip, bone-deep fear and, finally, an unthinkable act of self defense.

Dude

892892 views22 comments11 fav

Where exactly is your head at, dude?

The Confounded

803803 views22 comments11 fav

Your left hand cups your balls which are drawn up tight under a turgid fireplug cock. Your right hovers over your temple, thumb cocked at the cheek. Your eyes are dreamy, mouth wry, chest and belly furry and fat. You're a picture in a file on my desktop on which…

Twilight Is Merely A Shade of Color

837837 views22 comments11 fav

Its edges fluttering in the dull breeze, today's town newspaper lay at my old feet, open to the obituary page.

Arcana Magi Zero - v.2: Megumi's Fable, the Advance

14061406 views00 comments00 favs

“Is it a dream? Or is it real?” Questions Megumi asked herself as she stood before the mirror. She no longer had fox ears or a fox tail. Even her long brown hair had turned jet black and her lavender eyes were a natural green just like Alysia’s.

Awakening

11811181 views11 comment11 fav

What? No, no, where did my world go? I was in the middle of… something. What's going on? What's stroking my face?