Recommended stories

black crescent curved under

865865 views33 comments11 fav

I hope my blonde down still beats in your heart, and the black crescent curved under, you will remember, and I would move toward your window where my own heart lay in a dish, with the thick valley lifting. Remember, I crossed and uncrossed my legs f

I heard you singing in the bedrooms

918918 views44 comments11 fav

I heard you singing in the bedrooms with me. The down I was fond of, down of your cheek, your thighs light blonde in the light. Out of the dark, sweet bay, were you like a shining rock, shining white, undulating, a thing of heat. I remember you, yes!

'Bout Apples

13821382 views11 comment22 favs

Sawyer walked toward the lone house with the sentinel trees. Behind him there were no tracks in the snow.

Act of Creation

14001400 views22 comments11 fav

Mary ran her cake business in a way she could never have run her marriage. It was by appointment only, full deposit, partial refund (and this purely at her own discretion). Business was terrific and she had to turn down job after job. She only made…

Luce

10531053 views22 comments11 fav

Lucy shrugs into the corner of the train's seat. She envelopes her IPod in both hands as if she's praying or holding a conch shell: safe, secure like when she visited a Morcombe beach in the school holidays. The only giveaway's the white headphone cord.

A Way of Place

886886 views22 comments11 fav

There are people walking, not knowing where they are, a way to peace is just that-- a place to go.

Hook

10291029 views22 comments11 fav

“What the fuck!” Duke muttered, amazed at what he was seeing in the darkened store. A thin curtain of smoke was rising from under the baseboard like an inverted waterfall. It stretched the entire length of the left wall. Holy shit, the joint's on fire! I…

Postcard

12991299 views33 comments11 fav

"Special delivery for a friend?" he asked. "Postcards are a wonderful thing. All people want to do nowadays is send e-mails. But what's better than putting a postcard on the fridge?"

Death's Noisy Herald

20832083 views33 comments11 fav

Lying there, with the terrible screech emanating from his chest, blaring from his open mouth, he thinks about jet planes and jack hammers and nuclear explosions. He doesn't have quiet thoughts.

Crisp and New

855855 views33 comments11 fav

He told me it isn’t my fault. That my brain isn’t slowly and deliberately killing itself, not barbarically stripping away its own wiring to expose razor bursts of electricity.

Tumblring

998998 views22 comments11 fav

most interesting, i investigate all of this at 1:15 on a thursday morning and consistently contradict my assumptions while simultaneously validating them.

Sunset/Another Wasted Day

996996 views22 comments11 fav

He leans against the truck, the sun sinking on the day, shadows inching down the side of the house, yawning towards the horizon.

Sinning and Sinning and Sinning

745745 views33 comments11 fav

Then I learned she was revealing all our sexcapades to this young priest. Forgive me, father, I have sinned. We had sex outdoors against a tree in Wisconsin and the tree was blending with our act and becoming one with my back rubbing up against the bark

Global Arms - 3

10411041 views22 comments11 fav

She continued to cooperate with a city council agenda dominated by globalized privatization

Gary

974974 views44 comments00 favs

Bipolar. Schizophrenic. Alcoholic. Addicted. Abused. A reader?

Functionary

589589 views33 comments11 fav

The work of translation is a braid of light.

Love's Hinterlands

831831 views22 comments11 fav

Sit down at night and stare into the fire. Consider if Cupid is just another liar.

Soviet

19741974 views11 comment11 fav

The neatly-gentrified Mtsensk District plaster buckled in all the right grey-painted places. The aged, yellowing windows rose and fell in fashionable decay. It was a well-upholstered citizen's slum, drawn to exacting state specifications. Local housing authorities…

Dear Earth, On the Occasion of Your 40th Earth Day Birthday

962962 views22 comments11 fav

Everyone is tromping around in work boots like an army of happy gardeners. The park is smiling from all this attention, from the sound of kids who think work is play. It's not even sunny but we don't mind. I know you don't. Grey days are just as good. They've…

HOUSE OF DREAMS

11741174 views44 comments22 favs

Something was changing. We could sense it in the circling air. A loss of stillness - and we'd been still for so long.

Rivers of red

850850 views33 comments11 fav

Proudly we fight, yetWe run, we hideIn the jungle's quietBut how can we hushthe screams of the dead?

Esther

10631063 views55 comments00 favs

the moon is the pupil of the cave’s eye

Five Million Yen: Chapter 40

10381038 views22 comments11 fav

Ben was dreaming of sex with Claudia. But, in his dream, he could hear Dan Arris calling his name and pounding on a door. The fear of Dan Arris was pushing out the delights of Claudia.

Chimes of Coins or Branches

929929 views11 comment11 fav

It must be some sort of Freudian twist, but as her cold fingertips draw rings on my navel, I think of my mother. Here, her body watches my tongue, asking my lips to curl into the letters of her name. I can't get erect. I remember my mother's face—her eyes almost…

Recipe for the Broken

997997 views44 comments11 fav

This poem first appeared in “Walt’s Corner” of The Long Islander, founded by Walt Whitman in 1838.

Karma, Old Dogs, and Fine Men

12531253 views33 comments11 fav

“You people remember the thing you learned in science about every action creating its own equal and opposite reaction? The same is true in other realms. All of existence is continually recycled…again and again in infinite permutations. In other words,

Chu Berry, Tenor Wrapped in Swaddling

930930 views11 comment11 fav

They heard Chu’s voice, he was lying ten feet away, his skull opened up. “Find my change,” was all he was saying. “I left my change around, look for it."

And her child

12081208 views22 comments22 favs

The mother was happy, though. She was happy because she could make him some soup and then she could feed it to him in bed.

Blessed

496496 views22 comments11 fav

The first thing Noah did, more or less, was plant a vineyard.

Left at the Tracks

10081008 views77 comments00 favs

Shivering in the car, he watched his parents arguing under the porch light. He saw the smoking anger of their breath as they jabbed the cold air with accusatory fingers.