Recommended stories

-And Lurking Behind Quasar 3C295 . . .

14311431 views22 comments22 favs

“Let’s see that great big telescope of yours,” she exhaled hotly, “I want to grind your lenses!” The doctoral candidate dutifully stood between her and his massive telescope so her hands would encounter some instrumentation with no optical components.

A Message in Red-Brown Style

446446 views33 comments22 favs

The important thing is to repeat the keyword

Wayfinding

927927 views33 comments33 favs

He chose her for the way she could, Eyes closed, nose to the air, Find her way North. North was where the wind stopped And held them in its grip, safe. Broken. He chose her for the way, fur against Her collar, she could coax seal…

Were I Konstancja Gladkowska

11461146 views44 comments22 favs

My playing would falter languidly, and transcend itself like a wishful Nocturne

THERE IS NOTHING MORE HONEST THAN PAIN

900900 views33 comments22 favs

My parrot Poe freezes when a crow soars outside the window the same way I do when you approach my door. You come knocking late at night. What do you want this time? I yell. To come in you say, please. Go the fuck away, I respond but you keep…

The Stalker

485485 views22 comments22 favs

I found Marty sitting out on a neighbor’s front porch across the street from his house, which was next door to mine. He was sort of crouched down, early one morning as I headed off to work at the paint factory down in West Berkeley. I wasn’t absolutely su

I Fall in Love Too Fast

975975 views44 comments22 favs

It was Wednesday, the papers had a food section that day, so the gap-toothed news hawker at the mouth of Winter Street would yell out “Foozection! Foozection!”

One More Good Hand

11251125 views33 comments11 fav

It's been like that of late. One bad beat after another. I used to hold all the cards, kick some ass, be rolling in it and buying the Crystal at Birdland for all my special ladies. Now I can't get in without a steep cover and my markers are no good in the

Finder Girl

13371337 views33 comments22 favs

We fold it end over end, meeting in the middle where she takes it, and I let go...

The Zone of Forgotten Things

880880 views55 comments22 favs

In the zone of forgotten things, everything moves through a weak gravitational field

The Light of Paper Lamps

290290 views33 comments22 favs

Machinery bleeds until a soundlessness confounds,then, like a candle's light through a paper lanternyour womanness passes, leads me,not thru blind eye desires, nor the glow of demon firesbut something powerfully inert. A potent inexaction.I will not cling to your…

Arturo + Lourdes, 2005 and 4ever

14631463 views44 comments22 favs

Here’s the story as compiled from the scantest of clues: The writing on the back of a stall door in the restroom of a twenty-four hour restaurant under the Gowanus Expressway.

Abandonment

14151415 views33 comments22 favs

The ideas just came to them. "Nothing On" consisted of a television on a small stand, playing an endless loop of "Jersey Shore." "Shopping Bores Me" was a men's flannel shirt from American Apparel on an otherwise empty rack.

Snowflake 632565000012

900900 views33 comments33 favs

YES, YES, Dismiss.

In Dubai

10911091 views22 comments22 favs

I do not know the species of birds here. / The two I see playing on the balcony at night / I can never call back.

Illinois Route 3

10861086 views44 comments22 favs

If this road could answer I would ask her what it is like to follow the path of the rippleshimmery river for too many miles through the slowly ghosting towns and the corncovered landscapes of the dying Midwest

Xs and Os

11011101 views33 comments22 favs

Momma pointed out our paintings on the walls, the signs we had learned, but when Daddy saw our friends, their wheelchairs, braces on their legs, he left...

3

925925 views55 comments22 favs

there was the place where the large turtles had their eggs, and it was always a concern because everyone wanted the new turtles to make it back to the sea but the electric lights of high wattage along with sounds from the roadways beyond were in one…

The looking glass predator

722722 views33 comments22 favs

In the mirror an owl staring you in the face once again,/a fraught fragment of life’s puzzle. But you pretend it’s. . . .

Eating Crow

723723 views33 comments22 favs

I stabbed a man at the Blue-Buick Bar and Grill. This may not be shocking news, all things considered. The man I stabbed didn't think it was all that shocking, even while it was happening. I'd had a lot of those energy drinks -- six or seven -- even before I'd puked…

The Truthmobile

13941394 views33 comments22 favs

She's had a magnetic sign made for the side of her Honda, TRUTHMOBILE, simple and elegant. Maybe too simple; she's worried it suggests a religious affiliation.

Loop

887887 views33 comments33 favs

At night, I watch TV shows with fictional characters who lead my life.

Spoiled Meatloaf

12381238 views44 comments22 favs

In a small, cozy diner lived a homemade meatloaf. The meatloaf spent its days lounging on a warm plate with some mashed potatoes and sweet corn. Together they watched television, argued about sports, and ate blueberry pie...

femme fatale

853853 views33 comments22 favs

her knife cleaves a single red hair

Discuss

11571157 views33 comments22 favs

... her hair spills like spinach all the way down to her backpack, the top pocket where the bowl and the cinnamon estrange themselves from the coffee.

OUT

12081208 views33 comments22 favs

All I wanted was to love her.

Nowhere Is Everywhere

947947 views66 comments11 fav

I got fired once because I couldn't make change. I knew this going in. Friends and family all pushed me to take a job behind the counter at a health food store. I kept insisting I couldn't make change. Seriously. My mind goes blank. If someone hands me a five dollar…

I’m Not a Needy Film Project

17231723 views33 comments22 favs

Thanks to the popular funding platform Kickstarter, I am finally getting my life in order with the help of generous people like you. Dating in this economy, without a job, is surprisingly expensive.

Dotting every 'i'

13041304 views33 comments22 favs

“Why is it that you give a woman a bit of power and she turns into a man” said a new intern from the copying room “You can hear her balls rubbing on the carpet as she walks”

Baffled

10371037 views33 comments22 favs

It's a tunnel, you know, like the neck of a bottle, the tunnel the hair comes up, it's coming out soon, I'm an adolescent now, dammit.