Most recent stories

None Of It Grace

18821882 views2323 comments77 favs

I made him stop at an AM-PM. We bought a bag of barbecue chips and a yellow rose. Those days, we were testing our keels, sloshing against whatever rose most wicked. On the way to Beth Anne's apartment, we passed a man on the shoulder heaving a couch back

His Name Is

20292029 views1515 comments1212 favs

Larry lies on top of her, he kisses her, his lips, she thinks, are dry, but she prefers dry to wet because overly wet in the mouth is never a good thing.

Move Over

10781078 views77 comments22 favs

In fifth grade my mom gave me her CD player. I didn't own many CDs, only a few I remember, but I couldn't take it off my head.

Once There Was a Way to Get Back Home

20542054 views55 comments11 fav

I should have covered myself with leaves. I should have wandered farther from the path.

Envy the book

11831183 views44 comments11 fav

Once, during an argument, she had said, It’s like there’s another woman, except she doesn’t exist. Which sometimes it really did feel like, a betrayal, being thrown over for someone else. The muse. She could have shot the muse.

Dakar 1989

12261226 views77 comments33 favs

Everyone runs to the plane but me. I get the last seat (middle of 5), crush men’s bags on my way. I’m white & female. They glare.

Lisa Duncan's Mom

19171917 views1111 comments88 favs

Lisa Duncan's mom was puffy, and you could always see part of her breasts.

Reverse Order

12851285 views55 comments22 favs

Robert wants so badly after reading a book where a man wakes up as a bug to wake up as a bug. He researches the avenues of metamorphosis where science has been where it is going. He is disappointed that of all things science has turned into other things, none…

Second Wife

16791679 views1515 comments1010 favs

If things continue to go bad for her she will become second wife in six years.

Methaphor

21112111 views1717 comments66 favs

Red is a boy...

The agreement

11931193 views22 comments11 fav

It felt like he'd just taken his marriage out into the woods, forced it to its knees, and put a bullet through its head. Or they had, together.

Boba Fett Blues

17571757 views11 comment11 fav

So you want to know my earliest realization that I was just another boob consumer? Trace it back to my Star Wars Action figure days. Fish out the collapsible C3PO from a war-torn pile of crummy Jawas and Storm Troopers, no they're all out of Snaggletooth

The Tall Guys Club

15101510 views44 comments22 favs

Some of the guys wear earplugs. They wear ‘em because they don’t wanna hear it. Oscar Livitt fucking. Nobody looks.

Bedbugs

10181018 views00 comments00 favs

I'm in awe of her frankness, how she takes my breath away, how I wish to rush off with her to a splendid hideaway where only the two of us touch the grape-stained mountains and the cerulean sea, wild blades of grass quivering with the breeze. Sometimes th

I Am

13671367 views99 comments44 favs

When I was a boy, I always wondered if Dad were black. No one in our small town looked like Dad. He had the thick features of an Arab. If he let his hair grow, it piled up in messy loafs on his head. Of course, I never asked Dad about any of this. I wasn'

Musica en La Habana

10181018 views00 comments00 favs

Mayra heard the bell ring and opened the door to her small home in downtown Havana. Mayra was in her 50's and had the beautiful dark olive skin of most Cuban people who have a mix of Caucasian and Negro in their blood.

Remember Me to the Motherland

20582058 views33 comments11 fav

When Igor stepped inside the capsule, he had two thoughts: the cramped tin can would either become his victory chariot, or his funeral casket.

The Everyday Juggernaut

12111211 views33 comments11 fav

I will go to work in the morning and no one will stop me. I wish someone would stop me. I don’t know if my car will start in this cold. But if it does (it always does), I am going to drive to work.

Parallelogical Circuit

13521352 views44 comments22 favs

{A} So I think maybe I am a robot. If I was a robot, I would do lewd things, metallic (cold, hard, shiny, heavy, malleable, loud, acrid, industrial, immovable, unstoppable) things. I would do the things I do in my dark powerless dreams. People would understand and…

Zig Zag

11531153 views88 comments22 favs

Jerry tries to be funny saying, I think Charlie Brown should kick Lucy in the head when she pulls the ball away; either that or they start making out. Ewww, but they're both eight years old, Sandra says biting her lip, tying off her smile. Jerry won't focus on her…

In Machu Picchu

10941094 views55 comments11 fav

"I wonder what happened to Murder Man and Lust Girl?" wondered The Black Toadstool. The Anti-Justice League were in Machu Picchu, on a short vacation after taking over most of South America and the South Pole. The South Pole had been so easy. …

"A Wedding Feast" (a lost parable of Jesus)

892892 views00 comments00 favs

There was much joy in Galilee, for it was not often that two marriages, not merely one, were celebrated in one ceremony.

Wilmington

15361536 views1212 comments33 favs

The neighbor kids start, we join in–

Blue Jeans and Black Leather

18351835 views44 comments22 favs

I lock the last of the beer and wine doors and head back to the cash register. Our clocks are not on bar time so I only have a few minutes. I check the till. A stack of ones and three fives. Enough to break a twenty, but looking bare. The parking lot's empty. The air…

House on Fire

14271427 views11 comment11 fav

I started the fire. I started the fire in my room. I started the fire in my room because I was cold. I figured something small, in an old oil drum I kept in there, and no one would get hurt.

Crane Man

15311531 views11 comment00 favs

Inside my high-rise studio apartment there are only three locations where Crane Man can't see me. The bathroom is one—although he watches me go in and he watches me come out. Crane Man does a lot of watching. Sometimes it seems he spends more time looking…

One A.M. at the Beau Rivage

15051505 views1212 comments66 favs

After the show they talked at the famous comedian, reaching the way they do, with their arms. Their arms are curved a good way, a better way than the older white planes of my own.

i go to buy folgers coffee & see ninja robots & am okay with it

17481748 views44 comments33 favs

I execute my plan (conceived hours earlier while painting toenails) to go next door to the 7-11 clone and buy some coffee. I am too lazy to walk six blocks to the grocery store. I understand that this is a problem but I will deal with it later I swear. …

Ingrid Bergman Answers the Call

16101610 views33 comments44 favs

Out the window is an empty birdbath, dry flaky concrete ring, no birds.

Monkey Love

18691869 views2323 comments44 favs

There's an orangutan riding an elephant that spots a hound dog.