Most recent stories

Nervous Energy

784784 views00 comments00 favs

This is what you have to do to keep the unruly parts of your brain from open revolt.

Ah, The Drink

12541254 views77 comments11 fav

My mother was Irish as Paddy's pig. So all her family. Lovely people they were. Also, seldom seen among the Folk; stone cold sober. My father's family; Bavarian German. Bavaria's the wrong side of the German tracks. Frankfort people laugh at Bavarians as people in…

My Brother's House

926926 views33 comments00 favs

The last time my old lady threw me out, I decided to go and stay with my brother. I thought, "That's the last place I'll be welcome," and I knew that was true. The drive was calming, which was good, because Steven wouldn't have even let me in if I…

Stellar

10241024 views33 comments00 favs

After our first kiss, a team of scientists scrubbed away the cancer of your lipstick.

Shadow Play

10881088 views66 comments11 fav

I was quite alone in this small room with the tarp and the dying fire.

Community Pool Advisor

13291329 views00 comments11 fav

Lydia slid into the pool and rubbed lotion on the exposed areas of skin. She lathered her flipper arms. She lathered her sun-worn face. And she lathered her chest, rubbing some between her chubby breasts.

Irish Salad

13151315 views1818 comments88 favs

Overnight, I felt drunk, as if headed for hangover, but I hadn't drunk enough to cause it. What caused it? Superstitions dialed in sleep.

All-Night Cartoon Party

18891889 views2323 comments1010 favs

'Hey, are you supposed to be from a cartoon or something?' said the Grim Reaper. I had to take a big drink before I could reply. I didn't know what to say, so I said 'Could I see your watch, please?' He looked down my dress while he thought about it.

Trial Separation

10491049 views44 comments33 favs

"You're no good at sex, no good at drugs and, god knows, no good at rock and roll."

Down Cellar

17771777 views2323 comments1212 favs

Down cellar, my father showed me where he kept his beer stash. It was in a cubbyhole under the bulkhead, where Mom never thought to look.

The Way Back

11331133 views22 comments11 fav

The car has been parked there for slightly more than a day now, and nothing has occurred—there’s nothing “unusual,” nothing “amiss.” Except that it’s there, still, as he follows his boys to school.

A Life Twice Told

26902690 views4343 comments2727 favs

Walking to work, Lawrence Settler was struck by a bus as he crossed a one-way street.

Struggle Has Ended

843843 views11 comment00 favs

Shh! What? The downstairs neighbors. They’re at it again. What? It’s the weekend? They’re both home? Oh. Remember? I think so. Sort of. Shh! What’s that grunting? He must be doing the heavy lifting. Sounds like he’s hurt

Arcana Magi - c.7: Instinct

14581458 views00 comments00 favs

Her body shivered from the liquid and she felt loose. Her mind relaxed and a veil of pink mist covered her body.

Drowning

901901 views11 comment00 favs

I found Mathew face down, cold and ridged like a plastic doll. I had overslept because he never cried—never told me he was hungry. Rodney had to peel my arms from around my son so the paramedics could take him in a blaze of flashing red and white lights.…

Night Visitor

12701270 views22 comments11 fav

The tapping of hard soles moves slowly but forcefully away from the front door and toward the kitchen. Johnny looks at his dinosaur as if its spiked tail and plates of armor will protect him. Clip clop. Clip clop. The footsteps circle the kitchen. The bac

Boswell Meets The Subterrans

965965 views00 comments00 favs

He bounds like a lunar explorer into the Edinburgh Castle, the goofy porcelain busts glaring at him with contempt.

Good Belongs to You

985985 views22 comments11 fav

I hope you enjoyed the celebration last night. Good things always come to you. I thought your family would never go home. I didn't get to sleep this morning until 2:59, although I had set my alarm to 6:10. I didn't want you to miss your plane. At daybreak,…

Bunions

19511951 views1414 comments33 favs

You should really see my father's bunions. They are as obnoxious as fuchsia bowling bowls.

Walking To Gibraltar, Chapter 9: In Which A Cause Is Proffered

917917 views00 comments00 favs

"I think you're a great candidate for a sentinel node biopsy," said Dr. Kartes. They sat in the small, dark office. On the sofa, not touching. She still wouldn't take his hand.

Victory

14761476 views2727 comments1111 favs

As soon as she left, I sat down at the computer. Booted up. Read my e-mail, then looked at pictures of bare-naked ladies.

Summer At Lake Elsinore

41844184 views00 comments00 favs

Bess spent the summer that year at a lakeside court in Lake Elsinore. They told her she only had to spend three months there, before she was allowed to have a spot of her own at the nudist camp. Just three months. But Lake Elsinore seemed like something

Class

11621162 views55 comments11 fav

Class (appears in my book Breaking it Down; no journal publication) When your neighbor James Frehley cusses you out for hanging a block and tackle from the silver maple in your front lawn, begin to pull the engine from your Galaxie anyway, smile and nod…

I'm Writing

13471347 views00 comments00 favs

More and more, incoherent masses of letters scroll through my mind. Ideas struggle to form. Flashes of images flit rapidly in front of my mind’s eye. There are fish, mountains, presents, forests, mirrors - a menagerie of meaningless symbols march pas

I Cant Do This Anymore

14161416 views1212 comments44 favs

It's a lie, it doesnt mean anything this, only that my lips are ripe and soft.

Hal and Estelle

10161016 views66 comments11 fav

They had both discovered, though, that when people stared at them now, away from the carnival, it was very different. There, they were supposed to be odd, it was what people expected. Here, they were supposed to fit in.

Roadside Daisies

12201220 views22 comments00 favs

The phone rang. Pete wiped his heavy eyes and squinted so he could see. He looked at the clock. It was five o’clock in the morning. He rolled over and tucked his head under his pillow. The phone rang again. He ignored it. It rang again. He picked up.

One More Thing

13161316 views6565 comments2424 favs

The second thing Annie Riser did after receiving her diagnosis was to find a realtor in the Yellow Pages and put her house up for sale.

Courtly Love, a tail

10231023 views11 comment00 favs

They're bound to wonder what sort of offspring we'll hatch. We've done the tests, we are cross-fertile.

Bougainvillea

14321432 views1111 comments33 favs

Marcel Proust ran about the grounds chasing an itinerant tennis ball and kissing the guests, his huge testicles sweeping the lawn.