Most recent stories

The Belonging

765765 views00 comments00 favs

I don't belong. I don't feel privy to grown up conversations, yet I can't relate to teenage expectations. I'm floating on the walkways in another dimension of time. Everybody looks like ghosts functioning in robotic ways. I feel an electric eye following me in my…

~vantage~

10271027 views11 comment00 favs

i could smell it,  my scalp split on that same damn nail,  i hammered down 20 times, it kept coming loose  that warped floorboard  i never should have tacked in  when i built this house. it always squeaked  at the base of the stairs when i snuck

Furniture Fights

26732673 views33 comments11 fav

It amazes me that with everything this woman has to be depressed about, what really gets her down is an inadequate lounge chair.

By Misadventure

998998 views33 comments22 favs

...when they spotted each other through the glass, with he inside and she outside, she quickly began licking her fork obscenely, attempting to exhibit her sexual prowess with regard to the dexterity of her tongue and mouth...

Five Million Yen: Chapter 4

11011101 views33 comments11 fav

There was no one there, but the smell of cooked bacon permeated the hall, triggering borborygmus in his stomach. He loved that word, but not his empty stomach.

Want

10821082 views55 comments11 fav

I want you closeI want to feel youinside me,softening me untilmy borders are blurredand I'm hardly breathing,my heart swellingso big itbrings me to my knees,I want to know thepain of losing youeach time youclose your eyes andgo to sleep anddream of someone else,I want to…

Some Pianos

10951095 views1010 comments66 favs

We bought a grand piano at Steinway Hall after 9/11, chased uptown by the dust of death and awakening from dreams of miniature jumpers stuck in the icing of white wedding cakes

Help From The Sunrise

11421142 views88 comments55 favs

Ellen arrived on the beach when it was still too dark to see the ground; the fine shells and small, sharp rocks hurt her feet, but she went ahead until her toes felt the edge…

Jade Cicada

877877 views22 comments11 fav

Jade in the emperor’s death mouth – to the grave – all openings closed – no breath – no air – no life to enter to leave – the end should be silent – you stop my mouth

Confessions of a Likeaholic

12261226 views00 comments00 favs

"Something happens in a magical, soulful part of the heart...and you see YOU. You see yourself." "I can't look at myself."

The House on El Nino Diablo Court

895895 views00 comments11 fav

On a cold, dark night near to All Hallows' Eve in October of 1930, I was summoned by Constable John Wakefield to the house of Vernalier Driscoll. The constable was wild-eyed and very nervous, his hair appeared to be standing on end.

Twedes

14491449 views2121 comments1515 favs

“Last night the Scots invaded Sweden,” I wrote, “to retrieve the silver filched from the Irish the Norwegians had in their coffers when Sweden conquered. The Swedes offered the Nobel to a Scots writer to keep ... the peace."

Irreversible Dad

37423742 views88 comments55 favs

"It's irreversible."

Excerpts from 'Dispatches from the Front: My Life in NE Portland—diary by JENA RACHEL ROCKWELL (year 08)'

14341434 views00 comments00 favs

I'm getting self-righteous here, Dear Reader . . . [hey! wait a second! this is my diary! what are you doing, looking at it, dude! Hit the road! Scram! Vamoose!]

Stinger: a Novel

866866 views44 comments11 fav

Lipstick on the bolt, she told herself, if it's no good in the slot anymore.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 3

11431143 views22 comments11 fav

Now you are a raving bare-forked fool madman with nothing.

Ketchup and eggs

941941 views1111 comments33 favs

As a young baby, perhaps a year old, I have a memory of sitting on myfathers lap, in front of a coal stove to keep us warm, while my mothercooked soft boiled eggs for him every morning. He would break offa piece of his toast, dip it in the egg, and feed it to…

Epicure

750750 views22 comments00 favs

Edwin was the last thing I bought. With his uneven eyes and curious leg stumps, he was a must-have. When I showed Edwin to my housemates he was hugged many times, and praised as though he was real. Knowing my housemates, Edwin may have saved some lives…

Things Like This

11071107 views66 comments44 favs

I'm an older guy. She is still quite young. I tell her I may be too old but she giggles and tells me that she did the research and it said because there is snow on the roof doesn't mean no fire's in the stove. She proved it. Things like this. We excite ourselves,…

Little Doggy

914914 views00 comments00 favs

"A gush of sand- peppered wind from a passing semi-trailer hit my face rousing me from my mental comparisons."

My 250 lb. Dog

685685 views44 comments11 fav

to accomodate my 250 lb. dog

The Inkblot Test

17591759 views00 comments00 favs

“Regard this inkblot,” the Psych says to Worker 168. “What do you see?” Worker 168, a thin young women wearing overalls, peers at the inkblot. “I see a beautiful summer day,” she says. “A young woman, wearing a flowing dress, sits…

Mice

14891489 views1313 comments77 favs

Short, but true. Damnit.

Upstairs on Montague Street

12001200 views22 comments00 favs

Benton showed her his old room, a shrine of old posters and records. But it had been cleaned out, made to look like a guest room. “Kiss me,” Benton said. “April.” “That was just a name, so don't get any…

We Should Be Hordes Around Their Castles

973973 views1313 comments77 favs

We have been well and truly fucked with ideological batons

I Like the Celebration

845845 views11 comment11 fav

But please, don't let me fall into any more smaller pieces than I already have, before I get to kiss someone again and really mean It. I'm pretty sure I've always believed in something more positive than just hate. I've …

The World as Thrill and Calculation

960960 views22 comments22 favs

Professor Immanuel Danda finished his Ph.D. at 21, which, according to most of his friends and a few of his enemies, makes him a genius, though, personally, he always found himself to be a scruffy loser, if one were to believe, above all else, the mirror

Night Flowers

979979 views55 comments33 favs

Night Flowers By Zofia Barisas The garden lies in deep darkness even in the noon of blazing day. A steamy pond lies still in wait for uncertain footsteps. Here aquatic green spiders, big as frogs, spin iridescent webs from leaf to leaf. Gigantic, ancient trees stand…

Quittin' Ain't Easy

10001000 views1616 comments55 favs

Hey, Y'all! Like I told y'all, I checked myself into this what you call a “ facebook Rehab Clinic” up here just about 40 miles outside of Kalispell, Montana in a little town called Gulag. I quit MySpace and that got me a reduced rate. Things are…

The Last Fly of Summer

11061106 views33 comments22 favs

"...leafing through the SEBRING 100 WALLAMATIC record selector..."