Most recent stories

Bitter Orange

12621262 views00 comments00 favs

A poison bouquet of Merlot and brown floor muck bloomed in Seth’s nose. It’s one thing to sniff a freshly decanted red and another thing to shower in it.

Lime Grove in the Snow

970970 views22 comments11 fav

Up ahead I saw clusters of people standing silently under the trees. They seemed to be just waiting there. More than 100 people lined up in the cold and dark, not moving.

Tree Yaupon

991991 views88 comments66 favs

They clog the skimmer basket/ and fill the small Polaris bag.

soliciting your help with my answering machine (part 1)

600600 views00 comments00 favs

Hello, writers, readers, friends, discerner's of subtlety, freedom fighters for truth, emotional fairness and proper punctuation. I am soliciting your feedback on my answering machine message. I want this to be an answering machine announcement to audio-book…

The Rare Air on Planet Teeny

13151315 views1010 comments88 favs

Half-pint Ball canning jars, each labeled in earnest capital letters, took up a whole wall of Teeny’s bedroom. Inside each jar was air she had collected from some place important to her life.

The Parallel World of the Tango

832832 views33 comments11 fav

I dreamed I might one day become the numero uno tango singer in Boston.

Suicide - The Failsafe

12051205 views55 comments22 favs

Yesterday morning I sank to the depths of hell and barely crawled out in time. There is no answer except possibly death that will find me relief from his distant presence. I am free but yet I am not and I slowly sink into a hollow world where nothing hurt

Amma

698698 views22 comments00 favs

God love him, she used to say. you never noticed it much at the time because it is just something like a habit. a benevolent habit. around through the years and decades she went like that. God love him, she used to say, if she saw someone resting peacefully, of if…

Secrets of the Kama Sutra

14071407 views55 comments33 favs

“No names,” she said. “I am the mysterious woman, and you are the handsome stranger.”

Robins

834834 views1313 comments55 favs

Pine nerves spike and row.

My Great Sensitivity

888888 views99 comments66 favs

I'm mucked now for sure. No one's going to discover my difficult poems in a locked away desk drawer somewhere after the dying fact. I remember how it feels to be knocked out by someone standing next to me in a simple white dress. This…

specter in transit

955955 views11 comment00 favs

at the front of the bus/ sways a white-veiled woman:/ gnarled hands upon/ a bag of palms,

Where's Waldo?

10791079 views99 comments88 favs

Over his usual ham sandwich and skim milk for lunch Uncle Waldo used to always say, “Going out in the dead of night without a flashlight is dangerous.” But I knew what I was doing. After dark, I'd slip out and sneaker on down the path to take a dip in a…

Five Million Yen: Chapter 39

994994 views00 comments11 fav

Ben followed Jean-Claude’s white Fiat. Every time Ben shifted gears, he was reminded of Arris’s punch.

Test

773773 views22 comments22 favs

We’re safe as houses/ and unmoved. We grow/ accustomed to the sound

Yucatán Shakedown

4646 views11 comment00 favs

Peter had recently cracked his tooth chewing ice. It was the top left molar, not the far back one, but the one just in front of that. His dental insurance covered most of the extraction but none of the implant. An artificial tooth was considered cosmetic, and they…

My Father Teaches Me To Drink Straight Shots

11751175 views11 comment11 fav

of Jim Beam when I was maybe fifteen. Or anyway old enough to admire the lesson.

Older Now

11861186 views55 comments55 favs

You will never know how much it hurts When someone else touches your face. But I also know how much you count on others To pull the slivers out of your heart.

The Dance

904904 views22 comments00 favs

Angelo stood to the side and lit a cigarette.

Parable of the Parabola

843843 views11 comment11 fav

I held the steam and scrubbed it. How do you do that? asked Willy. How do you scrub steam? It is so, you know, diaphanous. I said to Willy, because Willy was a good man and listened with both ears, we adapt to the heart's convulsions. I send my grammar to a…

The Cozy Battle Station

105105 views1010 comments66 favs

...

Morning Night (2,3,4)

750750 views00 comments00 favs

Monday MorningI wake slowly. My breath still escapes me. He's asleep on the sofa, legs hanging, hand hanging, lips hanging, a river of saliva somewhere. He tries to be the one that's okay when I'm not, but really he's just as bloody as I am. I wait til he starts to…

Luce

10531053 views22 comments11 fav

Lucy shrugs into the corner of the train's seat. She envelopes her IPod in both hands as if she's praying or holding a conch shell: safe, secure like when she visited a Morcombe beach in the school holidays. The only giveaway's the white headphone cord.

Galileo Worries About His Weight

952952 views22 comments33 favs

I, Seer of the Stars, Cartographer of the Cosmos, / measure my mass, and to whom do I owe this woe...

Trainspotting.

277277 views88 comments44 favs

It’s just a joke, give them a poke, electric jigger in the hand

Decent Men

6565 views11 comment00 favs

“Now let's just start again, real slowly, and from the very beginning,” the taller darker investigator leaned across the desk and spoke directly to the young male bank teller, face-to-face, “you say that she was attractive then — this,…

The Sun is Here

791791 views88 comments77 favs

and I revel in the fact. There are other facts at work and play, but I'm hanging out with this one because it is my day off and I'm listening to music and writing poems. I like the bright appearance coming from the bedroom…

The Front Window at Starbucks, NYC

14061406 views77 comments66 favs

His eyes drift over the body of every woman who enters Starbucks, even though he’s old enough to be their father or grandfather, still his eyes are aware of every shape passing by, refusing to let go, and die. Maybe they’re speaking Polish or

Me. No, you. No, me.

11271127 views1111 comments44 favs

Sunset swoony love waves crash over me and I forget why I didn’t say yes sooner

in that time

917917 views66 comments33 favs

in that time people had gone away and i waited in the inside and looked out on balconies. the ending of the dusk was coming and the details of the railings and brick, the tree branches holding purple plums, the stacked railway ties and a thousand other details became…