Most recent stories

The Full Car: A California Saga (1968)

815815 views00 comments00 favs

—They turned him into a time bomb. Listen close, and you can hear the tick-tick-tick. —All I hear is snoring. How do you know he was brainwashed? —Because he can’t remember a thing about the experiment. —I can say this: If he can’t remember anyth

The Lake

13041304 views55 comments44 favs

The Lake I. When the weather was nice, the fisherman and his girl spread a blanket over the shore's rough sand and watched the cargo ships cleave their way to the…

Green Roads

14881488 views1212 comments99 favs

Every Sunday I ask her the same question. Mami tu sabes quien soy yo?

Fiery Passions

865865 views00 comments00 favs

Isaac Beauregard Lyons woke with a start as he heard the slamming of a pickup truck door then a curse from someone down on his front lawn. “Damn it Mike, be quiet!” someone shouted.

Champagne Velvet

806806 views00 comments11 fav

“So he rounds up three bums and says he'll buy 'em a case of beer if they’ll do a job for him. All they have to do is ride around in a car for his campaign. Of course they all said yes.”

We Are

835835 views55 comments55 favs

for Melissa together today. I like that feeling. I want to pound a piano into the ground just for you. To your warmest heartbeat I raise my glass. Thank you. It doesn't really matter if they think that's a velvety Elvis…

Hammer Had

978978 views11 comment11 fav

They say I'm supposed to see everything as a nail, but I have a silver head. Too soft for bang-bang. Too soft for anything but sitting on a shelf. I sat in her classroom for twenty-five years. She was proud of me and pointed often to the words inscribed on me that I can't…

When I Met Sally

794794 views11 comment11 fav

When I met Sally I was all Unsuspecting Of what powers Might be found In this world and In a woman.

The Rug

12631263 views88 comments22 favs

Marge bought the rug on-line.

How to Survive Your First Breakup (Anxiety)

13901390 views44 comments33 favs

And don’t you dare start panicking. Just sit there silently, letting the truth that you’re alone sear the back of your neck until it starts to feel cold.

Tabula Rasa

861861 views55 comments33 favs

accidental ground/ for index-fingered figures

One Sick, Two Sick, Red Sick, Blue Sick

10561056 views66 comments55 favs

I found a diseased fish / wedged between some boulders near the pier

The Watchers

11401140 views77 comments66 favs

Up at the top, a quarter mile south, billows of black smoke crawled up the faint blue of the sky.

fealty

11251125 views66 comments44 favs

just before my break,/ he came on the line,/ old and slow with computers now/ but wanting a discount/ he'd been told he qualified for.

Missed

15751575 views1313 comments1515 favs

How I felt in Ireland.

The Dog

13201320 views66 comments22 favs

They stood at the intersection waiting for the light to change so they could cross the highway.

questions, alas

730730 views11 comment11 fav

If in one instant of follie I plea to you What am I? would you then not ask yourselfwhat are We?Would you think maybe We are oneand I would ask to you my loveCan One, then, be transformed into Two? What is left of one after the sum?Can two be touched or…

What the Doormat Said

13301330 views55 comments44 favs

It's not my fault I was made to be stepped on, so stop saying what I am with such contempt. Yes, I'm a doormat. No, I'm not weak. I have taken a hundred kinds of treads, twice as many pounds at once, and once or twice there have been cleats. Think about what those would do…

mondays get all the heat

10621062 views55 comments44 favs

when i was five or six/ we lived in an apartment/ and every sunday/ i'd lie on the carpet/ to watch squares of sunshine/ crawl across the rug/ while my mother inflicted upon us/ a centuries-long hour of television/ worse than any droning mass.

Residual

11671167 views88 comments66 favs

Our afterlife depends upon// what interesting shape

All Art Is Betrayal

13041304 views2929 comments1616 favs

a world of probability against plague

Your Call Is Not Very Important To Us

17261726 views55 comments33 favs

Please stay on the line. Or don't stay on the line. We don't care. If we cared about your call, we'd answer it. Which, to be honest, isn't going to happen. We're going to make you hold. And while you hold, we're going to subject you to some really bad…

Cancer Always Calls Collect - Part 13 - Revival of the Fittest

815815 views00 comments00 favs

My body continues to tread water through its daily existence and each day challenges me to find some sort of grounding. I often wonder who needs taking care of as I find myself sometimes spiraling in a downwards cycle-- not even taking a required break

Supernova

10071007 views44 comments44 favs

Ben had us over, me and him and his boy, Benji, to look at the supernova. Ben was always coming up with these things with the telescope. Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings. On his wedding night he made everybody stop dancing and run out to the golf course so he could show us…

Dust to Dust

975975 views44 comments33 favs

He began to chop the powdery substance and separate it into segments.

Pops

902902 views55 comments44 favs

My father is the kind of man to shout at you / just because you took the wrong road / at least the road that he’s not used to...

OUR NEXT BREAK

872872 views22 comments00 favs

You welcome the new girl by putting a message on her back. I breathe harder until she pops or until you ask me what I’ve seen or until you see my hand turn into a fist.

Sof a

15791579 views66 comments77 favs

My softness craves your weight. Give me your shape, and I won't resist it. Or, rather, I will but just enough to recall it. I can only give that much, and that's my fatal flaw. If I were a more pliable thing, I could let go of these impressions. The stains—coffee,…

Only Shadows

11221122 views22 comments55 favs

There is a whisper in the shadows

Five Million Yen: Chapter 46

11131113 views44 comments11 fav

This artist has a wonderful sense of line and color. Abstract is not my métier, but I appreciate the art behind this painting. It helps to copy it. You sleep with it for a time and, like a woman, you learn her passions and taboos.