Most read stories

The Devil’s Troubadour

989989 views00 comments11 fav

The Devil’s laugh was the screech of wind. Ignacio Carillo heard Him as he dug the grave that would hold the body of his beloved wife.

Horizon

989989 views55 comments33 favs

Over the electronic horizon at an invisible distance nuclear reactors melt like ice cream and release tiny black lines of radiation that wriggle in the air like worms

The old man in the window is probably scarier than he looks.

989989 views00 comments11 fav

It loomed -- unavoidable.

Carlos Del Monte’s Verse Chorus Verse

989989 views22 comments22 favs

Too young to stay interested for long in the words I was reading. My father said the man was very intelligent and most of his writing was hard to understand.

Fibers(next:our world without ice caps/yipes!)

989989 views1010 comments55 favs

The light they love to hate so much is always pulsating within each life; the unbelievable color sword of what happens next when any two people find each other in their hearts and all pretense is somehow gone, for at…

The Calamity Train (Pulling Seven Cattle Cars):Remixed for the Occupy Yourself Movement

989989 views66 comments44 favs

We believe in our love storyin spite of the ferocious efforts ofserial bankerseverywhere to discourage us from looking our damned nearprettiest if we really feel like it. I meangranted they do do their ugly troll dogimpressions of…

Goodbye

989989 views22 comments22 favs

In the end, he knew he wasn’t going home.

THE SONGBIRD AND ME

989989 views33 comments11 fav

“Tell me again,” you whisper softly, “about the songbird.”

A Broken Frame

989989 views44 comments33 favs

The photograph has no date,but these are my long-ago kin,ancestors just before the boat,six stone-faced on the English shore,sepia on cardstock under glassstill clear in severe, dark clothesexcept one who has been markedout, maybe with black wax,which runs to the bottom…

Professional Pizza Patter

989989 views44 comments00 favs

We all stared, somewhat shocked and mostly disgusted.

There is No Logic in the Immediate Fact

989989 views66 comments66 favs

of a strangely found desire. I wanted to tell you something important, I'm sure, I mean it's pretty obvious, even in this funny breathing space, but everything has been said to death. More isn't always…

Licking Secrets Clean

988988 views22 comments22 favs

The mannequin’s blind eyes, open, green, serene, Look away from the cross, her hand Against our crotch, against Our suffering, our agony of being Alive and beating warm.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 15

988988 views00 comments00 favs

There was a motley assortment of customers in the restaurant. Mostly casually dressed young men and women who looked like freelancers of some persuasion.

The Window (Part II)

988988 views00 comments00 favs

When we saw the window, we were impressed. It was so clean and transparent that it reminded us of a new pair of glasses, everything so crisp and clear through it. It looked on to nothing. Actually it looked on to the refridgerators and a few stoves, though most of the…

The Search for Pastina Continues

988988 views22 comments11 fav

To assist you in recalling some of Episode One of - "A Poem by Jasmine Coriander-Semolina": My head lifted up slowly as I looked up through a gaussian blur of fragrant incense smoke and saw she was crying. She whispered that her daughter, Pastina, was last…

Born Lucky

988988 views33 comments11 fav

He's gonna find he wasn't born lucky after all, his propaganda has got up on the wrong side of the bed and sidled onto the couch.

Her last good year

988988 views00 comments00 favs

“We are NOT starving!” I stated emphatically. “What ever gave you the idea that you are starving? Honestly, Annie, you are so melodramatic. You have food in front of you right now, don’t you?’ I said pointing to her plate of potatoes and so

You Shine Brightest Under the Starlit Sky

988988 views00 comments00 favs

You shine brightest under a starlit skyThe moon reflects your beautyAs the wind sings your name sweetlyIt was under the heavens that we promised togetherThat I'll hold your hand and you'll be mine forever... You glow brightest when the sun is at its highestYour radiant…

Who Set Off the Liberal Detectors?

988988 views44 comments22 favs

I sense that I may have won a few hearts and minds with my stirring peroration. "Can I get anybody a Republican Party beer koozie to take home?"

trixie

988988 views99 comments77 favs

she had a chipped tooth...

A Memoir

988988 views33 comments00 favs

…she smelled of sunflowers.

A Man

988988 views00 comments00 favs

He was lit up faintly.Standing in a room of golden proportions (which is not saying a lot), he was one stood man (which is). The only lamp, a seemingly old neon, hanging short from its chains, shone darkly above none. None but a five-feeted glass plane, upon which glossy…

A Shower of Rain

988988 views66 comments44 favs

You have at least an intermittent belief.

New Year

988988 views33 comments11 fav

It was New Year's Day. My cousin and I were having coffee. It was about ten at night. We were outside the establishment. She said: "Sometimes I think you're not happy. I see it in you."

Eternally Shall Be the Leaves I Rest

988988 views00 comments00 favs

All greatest things are tokens of themselves: They need no tongues to say why they are so, To say why suns surpass historic gulfs Or why the rain sheds more tears than the snow: Yet man must strive to paint what falls beneath The glance…

Clicking

987987 views00 comments00 favs

Reining her small hands around the molded handle grips, her bottom bouncing athwart and wildly off the seat, Symphony wrenches her center of gravity inward, commandeering as much control from the road it would allow. With her breaks behaving as stubborn

Just leave it and get out.

987987 views00 comments00 favs

The money stank on the table. Money is dirty she said, one of the dirtiest things. So many people touch it. This pile of brine would not explain its reek, only demanded that we accepted its stench as requisite. It had to have been the cash that stank, prior to its arrival…

Free Magic Lessons

987987 views99 comments66 favs

" No honest poet can ever feel quite sure of the permanent value of what he has written: he may have wasted his time and messed up his life for nothing."--T.S. EliotI think, okay now I know, the poem's starting to wear off. But I'm alive, at least…

Groceries

987987 views1212 comments00 favs

Your son is six feet tall in the sixth grade. By his sophomore year of high school, he outweighs you by a hundred pounds. He's been offered four football scholarships and one for a sport he's never played. Every morning his mother, your ex ex-wife, makes his breakfast of a…

Secure

987987 views99 comments77 favs

This is the Minuteman tine/ of the three-tined fork// we can stick into the modern world/ when it’s done-- a MAD triad.