Most read stories

Going Back in Time: Song

999999 views55 comments55 favs

If we go back in time We are living in tents If we go back in time We are living in caves We are fighting over rivers We are fighting over fields Near the soft edges of slime If we go back in time Nothing would have us And we had t

Stuffed Shirt

999999 views66 comments33 favs

It was the losers’ bar in my neighborhood.

Five Million Yen: Chapter 54

999999 views22 comments11 fav

Ben was cheered to see Monique in good spirits again.

Beside the Still Waters

999999 views00 comments00 favs

“You. There,” said the fellow, pointing his gun like a dead finger. “You believe that water saves the soul, don’t you?” Thomas looked to the other boys for an answer, but they didn’t know any more than he did.

Suede Denim

998998 views22 comments22 favs

Rogue sits bedside in Jello Biafra’s hospital room.

Hotel Mechanics

998998 views55 comments44 favs

He switches to quantum mechanics and starts tinkering with his sleeve memorizing a theorem he'd figure out if he had the time for a deep breath, he takes a deep breath.

We Are Not Just A Bit of Irrelevant Pollution

998998 views44 comments22 favs

"It's hard to make a man understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding it."--Upton Sinclair I understand what Zappa was saying,about broken hearts and assholes, but, well, reallywhat if yours is already broken and already…

YMCA

998998 views88 comments00 favs

absolute bullshit

Boise Poetry Slam

998998 views22 comments22 favs

The boy buckled in and told his mom, “No mommy, I can do it myself”

WAR AND MUSIC AND VIDS TO GO WITH

998998 views22 comments33 favs

I. Europa How else to begin but with Gustave Holst's Mars--the gods waging war in romantic twilight as drumbeats and cannons blast swathes in the gloaming and glory awaits in the halls of black smoke. A visual perhaps:…

Lime Grove in the Snow

998998 views22 comments11 fav

Up ahead I saw clusters of people standing silently under the trees. They seemed to be just waiting there. More than 100 people lined up in the cold and dark, not moving.

The Eyes of the Inmate

998998 views1818 comments1717 favs

The courts had scheduled the date long ago but the time, an hour always left to the warden, had yet to be decided.

Boxes

998998 views22 comments11 fav

His voice isn't familiar but his words are. He says he knows we haven't spoken in years and apologizes for it. I can hear him pacing on the other end of the line, tapping things and then a shriek of glass shattering. Really, I tell him, no need to…

Lullaby for a Dragon Baby (for Josephina TuTu Waring)

998998 views77 comments33 favs

Lullaby for a dragon baby who breaks the bough with bottled fists escapes the armored cradle stealing swords from terra cotta men to slash the Ming canopy and loose the butterflies that will free Ho Chi Minh from the fire.

It's My Birthday

998998 views77 comments22 favs

and the President didn't call.

When Will the Poetic Violence End?

998998 views44 comments11 fav

Some corners of the world seem to be consigned to an eternal hell of never-ending strife. The Middle East; Northern Ireland; the faculty lounge at Oxford University.

One Day I Will

998998 views22 comments11 fav

Gotta ask myself what I’m doing here. What keeps me tied. Caged. What is it?

Termite ‘Grace’: #769

998998 views00 comments00 favs

‘Grace’ was eliminated sometime in year b.s. (Before Seat) 12, for bottlenecking Productivity and holding back Progress.

Revenge poem for Sara, following her disparaging remarks about my unfamiliarity with the literary history of the East Coast

998998 views33 comments00 favs

In distant climes ’cross landlocked plains, where history digs still-shallow roots, From masonry a statue looms And in her arms gay pigeons roost.

The Poet's Mark

998998 views22 comments22 favs

Often I want to kiss their lips Drink in every word they have written

Startled by Towels

998998 views22 comments11 fav

I woke up when the smoke alarm insisted. Either the curtains were on fire or I hadn't changed the battery.

SHOPPERS MAKE ME NAUSEOUS

998998 views22 comments11 fav

A meaningful conversation Subdued the huge Toys “R” Us question mark Standing sun-bleached and sprinkler-dirtied In our flowerbed On the patio Explode your fanny pack, A clinking most dangerous The Mysterious: Its …

Unintentional Hermits- Double Exposure

998998 views00 comments00 favs

The mother continued to stand, marooned in her isolation and Isis' hostility in between table and bed and under the overhead which cast a blue tinge, she held the newspaper- The Daily Mail- which embarrassed Isis- aloft and at an angle, one leg position

bucket of keys

998998 views33 comments33 favs

I imaged him at his mother's house, eating chicken and tabouli with her at her round marble table, leaning back and laughing, then reading my “love you” and excusing himself to cry in the bathroom.

instead

998998 views44 comments44 favs

instead of gun metal deceit, sounds of malice;be a drop of rain.

Dragonfly

998998 views44 comments11 fav

Dragonfly She danced out of the burning rubble, wrapped in a shawl made of iridescent silk. It must have been her grandmother's. Her arms were wings, the silk translucent and fluttering. Fire fell from the sky. Thatched roofs, walls of mud-daubed sticks, the huts…

Ranger

998998 views44 comments44 favs

“What. Is. That?” Sid asked, staring at the shaggy ball of fur sitting in the living room. Its tongue hung out of its mouth and its tail beat against the carpet.“This is Ranger,” his mom said. “I don't know what breed he is, but he's a sweetie…

The Book Bindery

997997 views22 comments11 fav

In a mad tipsy leap you came up short and hard on the chipped stone counter Bruised and blue below the seams against the inside of your thigh. Your grand jeté a little too low, left you on the black floorboards Wincing in…

Inside, Outside

997997 views1010 comments55 favs

You drive that '67 Ford PU down highway 73 like it's gonna take you where you want to go. Pig truck makes you want to roll up your window, but it's just too damned hot. You stop on the shoulder next to a sign that tells you not to, and you look in your glove box for a…

Strange Humidity

997997 views22 comments11 fav

The kitchen is full of old girlfriends. I avoid them. They are munching on cheddar and sharing stories I'm sure I don't want to hear.