Most read stories

The Morning

10441044 views00 comments00 favs

Early in the morning I wanted to send you something for when you wake;

Smells Like Burning

10441044 views11 comment11 fav

Stanley had a crush on Sarah. They were in Ms. Goldman's freshman chemistry class together fifth period. That day they were working on homework at Sarah's house while her parents were gone. Stanley was in heaven.“Break time!” Sarah woke Stanley from daydreaming,…

Hot Flashes

10441044 views88 comments77 favs

On high a centaur is pulling a yellow chicken on a sled.

The Crest

10441044 views66 comments22 favs

All I wanted to do was lay in his smell, I had missed him and didn’t know it before now. He got up to urinate at one point and his absence was obscene to me.

“Yo Donnie, Hawyadoon?”

10441044 views33 comments44 favs

“Fine, Tony, fine. I'm brilliant . How many times have I got to tell you my name is Donald now. All the time you're with that disgusting, “Donnie,” a grammar school name. Get some class. You own the matzo factory now. You're not just another…

The Perfumed Kitten

10441044 views00 comments00 favs

We named her Big Cat—I don’t know why. Maybe because she was already grown when we got her, unlike the kittens we’d seen in the pet store window that Dad wouldn’t let us have.

Story Story

10431043 views44 comments11 fav

It was one of those sweltering afternoons that San Diego endures only several times a summer. I'm riding on El Cajon Boulevard, with my friend John in his old Chevy pickup. John is a lifelong San Diego resident and fanatical Charger backer. He's talking up some…

Fucking the Dairy Queen

10431043 views11 comment11 fav

I first saw her about a year after I moved back, when I went to Dairy Queen. I know. Dairy Queen!? Ever since I was a kid, I have had a love for the dipped cones. When I used to visit my father on weekends, we would always stop at Dairy Queen on the way back to…

Royal Coachman

10431043 views2121 comments1111 favs

" trout hovered in a sun-dappled pool"

Killing Dennis Gauda

10431043 views44 comments33 favs

I killed him. I know you probably don't believe me, but it was an accident. I'll bet everyone in this room knows Dennis Gauda.... or should I say knew him? He was District Governor a while back. He also won quite a few speech contests. Yes... he's competition,…

Goebbels in the Underworld with All His Pretty Ones

10431043 views1111 comments99 favs

The universe extracts no retribution./ It annihilates without a thought/ of evil/good, sin/virtue.

Karen

10431043 views55 comments33 favs

Karen was a shy horse.

Advice For Aspiring Writers

10431043 views55 comments44 favs

Published writers will tell you that the most important thing you can do as a beginning writer is to know your markets! So this month, we'll talk about two of the markets open to you and your riveting but as yet unpublished prose -- Fling Magazine and Clubhouse…

The Greatest Science Fiction Story Ever Told

10431043 views22 comments11 fav

“Apollo twenty-two. Come in.”, the voice crackled through the speakers of the aircraft. There was only silence broken by a solitary meow and the slight whistle of oxygenated air through the ventilation system. “Captain Snuggles, now that you…

What It Is Like

10431043 views22 comments22 favs

They read poetry to each other. They met at the local drugstore, after he spotted Tropic of Cancer jutting from her bag. He asked her if she’s finished it. “Nothing like Fifty Shades of Grey,” he said. They laughed. He said: “Come to our book club later.

To See Who's There

10431043 views88 comments88 favs

Able to search through centuries, I click, scribble, skim,resurrect wet stone walls, the smell of burning peat.Bob's your uncle; Peggy's your aunt.Name your family, child. My brother said helloto Uncle Shirley and Aunt Greg. I was more…

Like 37 Hiroshima Bombs

10431043 views33 comments33 favs

Once in a while I have the time of my life / in this god-forsaken Earth:

Convenience Store

10431043 views33 comments22 favs

I’m casing the place; my boyfriend Jimmy is about to bust in and rob the store.

Me and Coleridge Take a Spin in the Phlegethon

10431043 views11 comment11 fav

Like so many high school drugheads I warmed up to Coleridge because he was an dope fiend. If you want to get young men interested in poetry it helps if you lure them to the art through controlled substances.

Strange

10431043 views1010 comments33 favs

Words are looking ever so strange today like a hole in space a wind in a cloud a face superimposed over a mountain

Betrayal

10431043 views22 comments00 favs

My brother Herb married his high school sweetheart right after completing college. This was a girl named Beryl, whom he'd met originally in Mr. Reinert's marching band at York High School in Elmhurst. I remember one day in particular in the middle of the

That Day

10431043 views11 comment00 favs

Freedom brings its own fears.

The Rocket

10431043 views33 comments22 favs

Mother told me that I would go to the moon. But she did not tell me that on Diwali night, the moon hid himself on the other side of the sky.

My Notes on "Quittin' Ain't Easy"

10431043 views88 comments11 fav

Sorry, I think I was jotting and not writing. I see a dropped article that would clarify my interest. I purposely didn't describe my alcohol use. There, I just did.

Antediluvian

10431043 views88 comments55 favs

He hid gallons in the garage,Fifths in the basement,Pints in toilet tanks,Airline bottles were on his person at all times.But he wasn't drinking.Why would he?He'd bought the cure at an expensive CenterThat taught him YogaAnd acupunctured away his brokenness.The cure worked,…

Parsing We

10421042 views22 comments11 fav

An excellent plan. Just like old times.

Erasure

10421042 views1111 comments99 favs

All else is unmoved/ and relentless in its indifference.

The United States of America

10421042 views11 comment00 favs

In the United States of America children everywhere are waiting for summer vacation. To a child in the United States, there is summer vacation and then there is everything else. Summer vacation is freedom. The united states was built on the foundation that one day we will…

Life at the Brew-Ha-Ha Pub

10421042 views66 comments55 favs

No matter what you may discover Or come to believe during the drinking life The question still remains: What if everyone was an accident? But still, while time may appear To be nearing its own end And the sun seems to be getting

The Green Glazed Elephant

10421042 views22 comments11 fav

The elephant was breakable and I know that my grandmother held her breath every time I went near it, and I was repeatedly cautioned that it was not to be played with only admired. She taught me in her own way, respect for it. She may have commented on the green with a bit…