Most discussed stories

77 Words About Nothing [5-01-12]

931931 views22 comments11 fav

You looked innocent and I was the epitome of just that …

The Vegetable Man

715715 views22 comments11 fav

He'd hug us against our wishes when we tried to get a better look at his cart, his odor a mix of sweet and sour and stink.

Why I Don’t Drink

10081008 views22 comments22 favs

He had that kind of connection / with his cocktails, intimate / sort of like a boy and his dog. // Cocktails have in any case / saved him from the bottom / of many dark wells. /

bloodletting and the strobe of hearts

932932 views22 comments22 favs

the injured color wheel of the world

DOMA Do-Do

935935 views22 comments33 favs

His smartphone rang. A picture came up of him kissing the blonde.

Jack Ketch in Hell

893893 views22 comments11 fav

Lost in the booth of Mr Punch's dreams,Jack Ketch flinches at the imagesflickering across torn curtains.The chirpy projectionistsits in his nest,flinging pictures:A snake, rising from a discarded pair of clown's trousers.A monkey, balancing on a watermelon.A burning sofa.A…

Loved, Stupid

10711071 views22 comments22 favs

I want to be adored for something and chose poetry to be that something adored for. But Annie doesn’t see why anyone would ever choose anything over love.

7 or 8 Things I Know About Him - A Stolen Biography

21812181 views22 comments22 favs

Wonderful When his mother was a little girl, her father would braid her hair until it was exactly right. When she asked him how it looked, he always said,…

Love Makes the Boundaries Disappear

754754 views22 comments11 fav

She was asked: “What would it mean to be in a great earthquake to you?” She said: “It would mean that I might never see him again.” Then she panicked. She came to me and said: “Do you mind riding in the other car? I have to ride in the same car wi

Five Million Yen: Chapter 62

767767 views22 comments00 favs

She was wearing a robe, but her hip movement sent an ancient message.

Desert

881881 views22 comments11 fav

Tonight’s concert was called Desert.

Like An Endless Rain

10401040 views22 comments11 fav

Fate could have sent me any number of Sergeant-Detectives, but fate sent me one of Boston’s finest, Sergeant-Detective Sheila Magnuson. Aside from being a little undernourished Sheila Magnuson is possibly the world’s most beautiful Sergeant-Detective.

Still Photographs

887887 views22 comments11 fav

one will become a tobacco king; another will steal copper plumbing on moonlessnights.

No Surprise Parties, Please

690690 views22 comments22 favs

“Many years of co-dependency,” he said.

Grandma Rose Watched the Fights

977977 views22 comments11 fav

I think she later thought about that. Just as she loved her son, I loved my mother. Just as my dad loved her, so the same kind of protective honoring love existed. Right or wrong, it was there, the elephant in the room.

Dude

892892 views22 comments11 fav

Where exactly is your head at, dude?

Smartphone

16241624 views22 comments33 favs

I believe in theCollective conscienceOf Mankind Whatever the masses wantComes into fruitionSome genius will create itIf we want warWe will get warWe don't want peaceSo we never get itJust consider The smartphoneWhat a great deviceIt seems as if we should neverBe bored…

These Dreams We Are Having

10181018 views22 comments11 fav

It is just a little break from the colicky baby who has finally fallen asleep. Just a little break, maybe a half hour. And the faulty heater, that wolf at the door, knows that and will take his chance. The two of you are lying on your backs, both of yo

Valhalla After Dark

10601060 views22 comments00 favs

In traffic I cry bloody murder, but my bloodlust subsides once I'm in Valhalla. Chip Whitehead wants to see me on the 22nd floor before I start my shift. Charlie and the other suits have been looking at me funny since I sent Chip a memo suggesting the recession…

Love and other entreaties

866866 views22 comments00 favs

it’s okay, you can come inside me

Where We Come From

10831083 views22 comments00 favs

Where We Come From (ver. 2.0) (Leadwood, Missouri pop. 1,200) I Matt lit a joint here driving beneath the arms of dying trees The moon shone through in jigsaw puzzles that we could never quite figure out Gravel crackled like leaves in fire …

Fly n' Jelly

877877 views22 comments11 fav

Listening for a chain saw with one ear and to Todd and the trooper with the other, I’m trying to hustle up and finish my business - sweating in my coat and sweatshirt - and I think this: not so silly now, is it, this invisible or being able to fly choice?

Sit Down, Here.

11491149 views22 comments22 favs

“The window is a much better place to read,” she said.I wasn't aware she was talking to me, at first. In my typical manner, I was thinking about far off possibilities and realities completely detached from my own. Yet, here she was, a far off…

... and I liked it!

14081408 views22 comments11 fav

... red lipstick shiny in the bar's light, raven-colored hair spiky and toussled. Jen opened her mouth to say something, stickiness of her cherry Chapstick separating with her lips ... and the girl leaned in and started kissing her.

This Old Man

975975 views22 comments00 favs

“Have I told you this one before?” I can’t think of one he hasn’t told me, but saying so won’t stop him. I fire up the FreeCell game, put the phone on speaker, and pour a tumbler of chardonnay.

A Drowning

10171017 views22 comments22 favs

This is the record of a drowning.

fastened together in silks in the Chicago night

835835 views22 comments00 favs

I know our hearts were fastened together in silks in the Chicago night. In the great nurturing night, you were the (real) first. Yoked together, you were the first god to have complete leave of my body, for an hour, for all time, you were the first.

What We See

12741274 views22 comments00 favs

One day they will take what remains of my eyes so someone else can use them to see beauty, someone who will value them more than I have, someone who will be strong enough to keep them pointed away from ugly things.

Anthrax

11331133 views22 comments22 favs

Exhausted, weak from the struggle against the personal gift of terrorism delivered by her ex-boyfriend, she died for a few minutes.

34

811811 views22 comments22 favs

The space they are in is years long.