Most discussed stories

Five Million Yen: Chapter 73

878878 views22 comments11 fav

The pawnbroker sat behind bulletproof glass at the rear of the display area, a veritable potentate of hope and cash, exchanging expendable items for derisory cash.

July 4th, Austin, TX

12821282 views22 comments11 fav

It is July 4th, Austin, Texas, just after nightfall. On the bridge, downtown, I sit against the curb with my husband, his best friend, the best friend's wife, whom I have recently become acquainted, and their baby, Sasha. We're waiting for the fireworks to…

Cheap Date

10791079 views22 comments11 fav

Lady, if I were going to hire a whore, it wouldn't have been you.

Time Travel Telephone

11761176 views22 comments00 favs

And now, the weather. The Cloud Wranglers have roped three solid clouds this morning, preventing the clouds from raining iron bars onto Human Brain Storage Center #17.

Hook

10301030 views22 comments11 fav

“What the fuck!” Duke muttered, amazed at what he was seeing in the darkened store. A thin curtain of smoke was rising from under the baseboard like an inverted waterfall. It stretched the entire length of the left wall. Holy shit, the joint's on fire! I…

Sequins

11051105 views22 comments11 fav

A person is entitled to what she thinks and feels. A person can have all the thoughts and feelings she wants.

Winter Hawk Jack

13551355 views22 comments11 fav

Jack, man in black, sporting manicured talons, his smile an iced knife.

Ricky's Condition

12121212 views22 comments00 favs

At first it was just holding hands and talking about Ricky's condition. Then it was leaning into each other on the sofa, Ben whispering my name into my hair, me wanting to put my hand on his thigh.

Googling A Ghost

11361136 views22 comments11 fav

My buddy had been in the computer business, a systems analyst. Surely there would be some mention of him online. But there was nothing. Nothing, that is, until I saw the obituary.

An Account of my Dwelling (for Kamo no Chômei)

11621162 views22 comments00 favs

[B]y fleeing the city to live on the outskirts of nowhere—a place so far off the beaten path that even Duras’s aging Mr. Andesmas would have felt isolated—I was of course trying to escape from none other than myself.

You're Never Going to Break My Heart

679679 views22 comments22 favs

Like any lovable lump of hidden rocks, these hills she breathes life into, blinking existence, are all well worth jumping up and over again and again. Just ask the little kids. Their endless landscape of discovery…

Four Out of Seven

12671267 views22 comments11 fav

Four nights out of sevenI will lay with youFour nights out of sevenIt's the best I can do In the day, we will bake our breadAt night, ha, we will break our bed!Four nights out of seven, I will be with you

No More

951951 views22 comments11 fav

Dawn is a grey mass, what is left of the night's chill slips between my t-shirt and belly skin. Somewhere else you once wrote that being loved when you don't love in return equals rape.

Here be Dragons

11701170 views22 comments22 favs

Most nights while in his sleep, with his one good eye deeply shut, the old man can hear the whispers of the specter in the remote wanderings, holding the surrounding woodlands in its snare. The sound of it closing in, with the bones of the universe crushing in…

The We

846846 views22 comments11 fav

You gotta see this new drugdelivered thru a procedurally exacting pill Sugar coated yetcompletely foul tastingDrought drowning and will make you blowfish-cheekedIt creates coincidences with bafflement and symmetry Meaningfully uncertain…

NAMASTE

14741474 views22 comments33 favs

I was dating my yoga class. It was going all right. Which is to say, the sex was pretty fantastic but otherwise I was beginning to lose interest. I'm thinking of one Saturday afternoon in the summer. We ended up browsing for Father's Day gifts at Crate & Barrel in …

Basement Concert

951951 views22 comments00 favs

You don't just hear the sound, you are the sound, you and everyone else in the room.

Lenin's Paintings

13281328 views22 comments00 favs

I was going through Lenin's jewelry and his paintings with a team of experts. I got the idea that I was hired to verify his paintings, although I didn't know he painted.

Rooftop

12421242 views22 comments11 fav

People crawling up out of the chimney, then onto the roof, then sliding down it and off over the edge disappearing from view.

Good Girls, Bad Boys, and Porn

45534553 views22 comments00 favs

We’ve all heard the stereotype of good girls wanting bad boys. It’s been studied, ranted about, and capitalized on. Hell, Disney has built a kingdom off the Princess Who Lusts for Adventure and Falls for Rebel Guy with Supreme Confidence storyline.

Left to Leaves

770770 views22 comments33 favs

Golden yellows and oranges and reds that could have been scratching their toes now just tear the skin around her Achilles' heel.

Rootless

10171017 views22 comments33 favs

[This story is not racist!]

Robert B. Parker we’ll miss you.

12511251 views22 comments00 favs

Summer nights in Boston, old cast iron streetlights.

Small Man

926926 views22 comments11 fav

When Reg Cuff heard that Sandlewick's abandoned Tiny Town model village was up for sale, he sold his home and failing business and moved right in.

Ennui

879879 views22 comments00 favs

I've done the math, it didn't count. All the days and years of endless boredom. Of waiting for the next best thing, trapped inside your mind like a lifetime prison sentence. Maybe one day we'll be free, maybe one day we won't feel so oppressed. But when does that day…

Clearing

13361336 views22 comments22 favs

Forty years is a very long time to live with someone.Ellen stood motionless at the curtainless kitchen window, staring at the autumnal woods, looking for signs of the various animals that frequented her property. She had done this every morning and every evening since Jim…

The Fat Man and the Magician

864864 views22 comments11 fav

The Fat Man took a sip of whiskey, then replaced his glass on the table next to his fedora. …

Fixing Fence

945945 views22 comments00 favs

The sun is coming up and the work day has already begun.

Shiver, 43

813813 views22 comments00 favs

, that smiley lush would shake rattle and quiver the day long no matter the temperature.

The Passing of Odd Fellows ---- Tales From the IV

800800 views22 comments11 fav

The appointed day came without much fanfare. The day was gloomy, but it would do. They climbed to the roof of the house to a small landing where Smiley placed the tiny piano stool smack dab in the middle. As soon as Ethan sat down Smiley rotated the chair