Most discussed stories

In Search of Vince’s Quinces

974974 views88 comments00 favs

Beautiful, he thinks, as he taps the ash of his cigarette over the balcony, but this is not good enough.

Justice

13261326 views88 comments88 favs

“Too dumb to live,” my wife said when cretins on a motorbike blasted around us nearly taking a side mirror with them.

When Hadrons Collide

10821082 views88 comments44 favs

When hadrons collide they’re not always Swiss. They may be cheese or neutral but that isn’t of my concern. Look at them, touch them, feel them, the quirks of the antiquarks, masonic mesons, baron baryon.

Dementia

20392039 views88 comments33 favs

They should have shot me when I turned 80, a bullet right between my sunken eyes.

Tierra del Fuego

903903 views88 comments66 favs

my time there was not one afternoon not / one river not one tunnel not one falling

M Box

863863 views88 comments55 favs

I do that now. And I shiver. My mom's eyes don't seem to have any expression. They look lifeless. Her eyes look... dead. Stop it, Alison, I tell myself. You're being stupid.

Sniping

946946 views88 comments55 favs

Snipers wear camouflage clothing to avoid being seen. It wouldn’t do for a sniper to be seen because then the sniper might become the snipee.

The Dog Catcher

19821982 views88 comments66 favs

I looked around the room at the shit, the dog bed, the dish. Lights burst behind my eyes, knees weak. “Fuck…” I bent over and puked.

Tics

728728 views88 comments66 favs

The damp suspended/ in the air/ in a faint fog/ discourages coagulation.

My Resolutions for 2015

902902 views88 comments55 favs

The only resolution I ever kept was when I said I wasn't going to create any more resolutions, and now I'm going to break that one.

Take

265265 views88 comments55 favs

.

Boats for Rent (Thinking About You)

976976 views88 comments88 favs

We're killing off the elephants. We're killing off the tigers. We're killing off monarch butterflies. We're wrecking the coral reefs. Big sad gorillas don't feel at home in their own homes. And all instead of learning to live in some…

Wings and Lace

350350 views88 comments55 favs

Feelings can't be measured, can't be weighed, can't be evaluated. I imagine invisible wings flitting inside us close to our heart like butterflies on flowers. Unpalpable, elusive, colourless lace. I'd like to be able to touch them, see if they're hot or cold. Perhaps…

Meaningless conversations

14841484 views88 comments44 favs

“I wanted coffee, not art. That’s why I came here, and the coffee here isn’t even that good. We should have gone to the place across town, their lattes are the best.” “How do you determine the best coffee? Do you think they have judges that go from sto

holding it down

12341234 views88 comments66 favs

You lazy fuckwit! You half-assed shithead!

Darkroom Tech

11561156 views88 comments22 favs

Entering that darkroom is like slipping through the barrel of a rifle.

Breakdown Lane

574574 views88 comments55 favs

I'm on my way to work the Saturday night dinner shift at Slug's

On Mars

12521252 views88 comments44 favs

We brought oxygen with us because we knew, everyone knows, there is no air on Mars. Everyone told us this as they waved goodbye back on Earth. Jay's mom even said, “Goodbye, honey, have a nice time and remember, there's no air on Mars. Are you aware of that?”…

The Sun's Curtains

997997 views88 comments66 favs

It must be nice not to have to worry About certain things because those things are not yet In your circle, or in your circus, of life. I don't begrudge you for being almost grown in A much different, sweeter place and time. I'm thrilled By…

Composition: 3 generations and a porch

10431043 views88 comments66 favs

It is 1939...

Late July

621621 views88 comments66 favs

The cicadas struck their soundsTheir ribs made a clicking drumThe sound was formed over buckling ribsvibrations sounds like a maracas bangle beatingShe sat up in a lounge chair trying to sleepThe tiny ants she found tickling her armThey crawled from some hole…

Albert Walks

18081808 views88 comments55 favs

Albert Walks When Albert walks he is astonished. Ripe fruit falls to the ground at his feet, offering itself. The earth's tremor rumbles, celebratory, through his mended shoes and up his shins. The birds darting through the sky above …

The Solipsist Suffers

890890 views88 comments88 favs

I can confirm nothing/ but impressions of the world// that appear beyond my/ body’s reach.

Alice White Loves Me Because

10821082 views88 comments44 favs

She loves you when your words leave her dirty, semi-transparent, at times, overexposed.

The Tertiary Stage (he probably thinks this poem is about him)

324324 views88 comments55 favs

They say his irrational outbursts and insane rantsare the results of untreated syphilis. Well, thatmakes perfect sense to me. I've always thoughtof him as a tessellated spirochete, a narcissistic chancre,festering pustule of a blistered imposthume. And whywouldn't a…

Conversation on Thanksgiving

10901090 views88 comments00 favs

“You always use that as a crutch. You, a sixteen year old girl. The way you were…” She looked at me, shaking her head, looking at my body as if remembering some wrong, some thing that should not have been.

Everyone Is Going Away

13841384 views88 comments44 favs

“I don’t know what’s going on there,” Hank, who hated his name and wanted a more Biblical name because those names (Jeremiah! Matthew! David!)—although common—sound ominous, said as he pointed up to the top of the apartment building that housed the whores

Puddles

10941094 views88 comments66 favs

The first inkling that I might be in love with Josie came at our high school senior day outing at, oh, what's its name, state park. I forgot, but it doesn't matter. She smiled, did a little wave and stepped away from her friends, lifted her sundress a little to keep it dry,…

Window

10571057 views88 comments55 favs

Seen from the window, …

Excavation

10461046 views88 comments55 favs

"the dark velvet slide of the tongue."