Most discussed stories

Before She Gets into the Car

551551 views99 comments77 favs

His white shirt gleams

Go ahead

10671067 views99 comments00 favs

Sit right down in the chair. It's a glider, see? Smooth and easy movement without that annoying head-swing you get from a rocker. And easy to get out of, unlike a lounge chair. Relax. "Reba" reruns will be coming on in a minute.

Angelic

11261126 views99 comments33 favs

Remembering his body makes me think of Egyptian cotton sheets dried in the sun. He smelled crisp and clean even after sweating hard. His hair fell in golden spirals down his cheeks, his back, over his forehead, and captured light just like the gilded halos on…

10 Unofficial Jobs Jake Baker has Never Got Paid For

14791479 views99 comments66 favs

Not that their pa really needs the suitcase; he's been coming and going for so long it doesn't matter. The suitcase's just for show. A final goodbye.

When I Asked You to Sing at My Funeral

12691269 views99 comments66 favs

It's because poetry would not do because the fireflies were alive that night, aflame

On a Black and White Photography Tour with a Sweetheart of a Ghost on My Arm

984984 views99 comments66 favs

Suppose you should bend your whole body backwards you know like a powerful bow and push the rest of your true self forward in my face just like Georgia O'Keeffe in nineteen-nineteen, push it all over in my general direction? My gaze would …

Mercury Unbound - 8

13471347 views99 comments55 favs

The border crossing at El Paso will soon be arriving. I'm apprehensive about Mexico, all the violence.

The Bird King in Love

13161316 views99 comments77 favs

1The Bird King has fallen in lovewith a radiator.He adoresher pockmarked skin,her neurotic arias,her coldness,her impulsive warmth. 2Tiring of his dalliance with the radiator,the Bird King woos an armchair.She's amply upholsteredand groans dreamilywhen he sits on…

Frank's Sad Xmas

12941294 views99 comments77 favs

God's real name is Frank, and he stops by all the time. He tries to dump that cheap Xmas candy on us.

A Writer Abroad

814814 views99 comments99 favs

Here’s an obvious fact: I live in Germany, but don’t speak much German. Okay, I speak very little German. Truth be told, hardly any.

The Agreement

11561156 views99 comments99 favs

Our Irish tradition is rich in Yeats, drenched in Bushmills.

Weed Fire

953953 views99 comments66 favs

Wind was a sorry excuse for force

Children's Time

12381238 views99 comments33 favs

During what's called "Children's time," one day at church Sarah slides her left foot halfway out of her tiny ballet slipper to show Davie her toenails are painted the same soft pink as the inside of her shoe. "Look," she says. "My…

Piece of Mind

41134113 views99 comments88 favs

Samuel wondered if Megan could hear the brains humming, but like so many of the questions Samuel had for Megan, it was difficult to find the right moment to ask.

Impotent

12011201 views99 comments66 favs

I tell myself I should have known. You were always absence.

86.

767767 views99 comments00 favs

It was late and Manhattan wasn't going to wait for us to wake up. We stumbled off the train — a few puffs of smoke left in our lungs and perfectly disheveled hair that made us look like we were comfortable with our anxiety.Steps weren't getting any easier…

Right Here on Our Stage...Tonight

711711 views99 comments99 favs

When Madeline became beset with a malady diagnosed as Harlequin's Syndrome she had to learn to overlook the muffled, but audible, guffaws about her excessive perspiration and slightly stooped posture on stage. She was a trooper and said she knew they came from those who…

Buttermilk

12351235 views99 comments55 favs

I brimmed with sexual energy and it flowed about me like a buttermilk, silk robe. Rich and thick, musk-laden and fortified with my own particular brand of woman.

The Man With the Hairy Back

11151115 views99 comments88 favs

It’s strange, what will become of me What my life will be like Since the animal in me Is beginning to show on my back Oh no, no, no Women will never put up with this I was afraid this would happen They’ll think I’m only half a man I’

Goodbye, Brother

14501450 views99 comments88 favs

My brother died in his sleep almost two months ago. He was 25. He was addicted to pharmaceuticals. Two days before he died, he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his truck into a highway sign. It was the last thing he owned. He had been living with m

Under the Drawbridge

11431143 views99 comments66 favs

J;>8-<=

The Duck, the Clock, and the Condom

14311431 views99 comments77 favs

Every night famous authors read not only to us, but to a duck. A wild female who emerged from the lake just as we were gathering, settled her gray-brown feathers down not three feet from the podium, tucked her head inside her wing, and remained there. If the duck liked…

The Apartment House

10911091 views99 comments88 favs

Everybody called her The Crier because from time to time we would hear her crying.

K Model

10131013 views99 comments66 favs

Plans were all set. We were leaving this town. We'd been creeping around long enough and Marla wanted nothing more than to get out and away from the shallow, old bastard she married. “Fuck his mansion and fuck his country club”, she said. We both agreed that he…

The General

12191219 views99 comments88 favs

Where the General is, the world is data and patterns and signatures.

A Shot at Pool

10321032 views99 comments66 favs

New waitress/bartender draws my attention to bare ankles and red hair

That Pill

700700 views99 comments66 favs

It’s good to have some, Extra weight - Something they can Grab on to, In the sheets, When it’s late-

River Run

12461246 views99 comments77 favs

yearning amid the waning

Suzanne

13481348 views99 comments44 favs

And I watched, from her warm bed, the curtains dancing in the window

Miguel's Fence

12281228 views99 comments88 favs

Miguel's mom told everyone if you pressed your ear against the knot, Jesus would tell you special secrets.