Alphabetical stories

How To Pound Meat

14881488 views1010 comments55 favs

"She has a lot of time to think these days. What else is a woman to do with the rest of her life?"

How To Profit As Copper Becomes The New Gold

17621762 views1313 comments1212 favs

We have no more leaders, only rulers who live in another country. I don't ask why my cousin's hand is bandaged, what he's been burning, what's tarped in his truck.

How to Remember Important Things

14651465 views1212 comments1111 favs

Save the whales. Save the dolphins. Save the bored housewives. Save my hands, so often cupped over the sorrow in being alive. Save the beautiful made-up cherries of delight I feel everywhere in your presence. Save the sprawling…

How To Rescue A Drowning Man

30443044 views2020 comments1111 favs

Maybe you should consider a few more things before embarking upon actual rescue, like: Is the victim hot? Not stove hot, idiot. Beauty hot. Will this be a triumph to save this person (like perhaps they are some Nobel laureate), or are you risking you

How to Save a Shell from a Mountain

679679 views33 comments33 favs

"Love is just a word I've heard when things are being said"...--J.T.That thing that is empty now is me. I never thought I'd disappear, so crazily far from being myself. The love key has been thrown away, dropped without much fanfare. I carried…

How to Score With Freudian Chicks

13841384 views22 comments11 fav

Unlike me, Gino could walk up to a group of unattached women, say something sensitive and thoughtful like “Hey, hey, hey!”–and suddenly the fun would begin.

How to Shampoo in French

12571257 views55 comments33 favs

Commencons (let us begin) our deconstruction of la bouteille typique de shampooing (the typical shampoo bottle).

How to Stop Doing and Be

966966 views1212 comments55 favs

Monday will come soon enough to get/ what needs to be done, done.

How to Survive Your First Breakup (Anxiety)

13681368 views44 comments33 favs

And don’t you dare start panicking. Just sit there silently, letting the truth that you’re alone sear the back of your neck until it starts to feel cold.

How to Take a Meeting, for the Woman Who Fell to Earth

10011001 views55 comments33 favs

1) be awake2) wear clothes1a) get out of beda1) go to bed the night before6) put a smile on her face, but not too smiley6a) maintain precisely calculated level of irony and derision in a just kidding (not kidding!) manner suited to responses of the enemy6aia) normal words,…

How to Tell if Your Loved One Belongs in the Booby Hatch

928928 views11 comment11 fav

It is well known around town that Ray's dad went crazy. Today, when asked, everyone will tell you that they knew all along he had a screw loose, told their wife, “That Mick Borkowski's gone bat-shit.” But when it was happening, no one paid it any…

How To Tell Time

795795 views11 comment11 fav

Time is an animal, driven by instinct alone. He is no tame thing. You cannot say anything to him to make him love you.Time is a tide, an inconstant constant. Coming and going as he pleases. It is said the urge toward form leads us closer to God, but he cannot be…

How To Train A Rock

13621362 views1010 comments33 favs

The first thing one notices about rocks is they are essentially quiet creatures. Adverse to long discourses or extended bouts of conversation, they nevertheless are quite engaged in life.

How To Train Mules

13001300 views88 comments66 favs

“Mules don’t like to dive, Esther.” “I said maybe, Hugh. Maybe.”

How to Travel with your Demons (1)

14931493 views88 comments66 favs

Someone's shaking powdered sugar on the tree limbs. Someone's turned out the lights. It's a beautiful morning.

How to Travel with Your Demons (2)

17431743 views1313 comments1313 favs

The love of hundreds of people, seemingly, rain down from the sky, but its not like when the cock hits the good spot inside you. And everybody who is reading this knows this is true. We all know what that feels like, that aha moment, that eiphany, like,

How to travel with your Demons (3)

13061306 views66 comments66 favs

Watch her now as she tries to not smoke. Considers, reconsiders. Checks her nylon bag for her phone charger, and lights a cigarette anyway, which she immediately extinguishes in the kitchen sink.

How to travel with your Demons (4)

12821282 views33 comments33 favs

I also understand if you don't think that's fair. But consider this: If she doesn't operate according to those rules, then where are we? Isn't that anarchy?

How to travel with your Demons (5)

14141414 views66 comments55 favs

She believes that this started with a phone call when she walked out of the deli yesterday. She believes that it started when it was snowing this morning in Brooklyn, waiting for her car to arrive, but the truth is, this journey began a long time ago.

How To Win With Mom

946946 views33 comments11 fav

My mother’s serene and patient voice flew up the staircase once again “Megan, are you done feeling sorry for yourself?”

How To Write A Poem

898898 views22 comments33 favs

-after Bhanu Kapil First, give yourself a good hard smack across the face. Repeat. Drink a glass of cognac in the bathtub. Do not get out until you rid yourself of the stink of poems. Build for yourself a workshop. In an abandoned fishhouse, if need…

How To Write a Poem

11371137 views55 comments44 favs

an EZ How to Guide in 50 simple steps

How to Write a Poem in 7 Easy Steps

913913 views55 comments11 fav

1. Research how to locate and outline the chin of a toy terrier. Find a toy terrier, outline its chin, then count the hairs on said chin to determine the number of lines your poem will have.

How To Write Funny

12281228 views22 comments22 favs

I've never really been impressed with authors that write long teary-eyed novels about people dying of terrible diseases or uplifting stories about the armless boy who made the wrestling team.

How Veetzers Set Us Up For the Zorks

11371137 views11 comment00 favs

We're doomed as a species. The Zorks are coming to eat us. It all started when Joey Cacciatore, the dumbest crook in the history of the world, got Veetzers swarming like blowflies in 1972, and thereby ensured the upcoming…

How Was Your Afternoon, Dear? 2

970970 views77 comments55 favs

The pool deck was covered with the bloody footprints of resident gawkers.

How We Fight

945945 views66 comments11 fav

HORDES OF MEN desolated, struck down, destroyed, sunken form of skin and skeleton, bare cloth matted to torso, bodycage and hipbone, face and neck darkened, bloating to black, rain the endless dream stuck fast in the stone-dead skull and blood a fine sheen over all,…

How We Got Away With Everything

4242 views00 comments00 favs

"I've never told anyone this before, Luis," Gus flipped the quarter in the air, catching it deftly as he finished his cerzesa, wiped his mouth with the back of his burn-scarred hand, "And that's how we got away with everything: the money, the girl, and the crime. You got…

How We Handle Our Midnights

815815 views22 comments11 fav

He fingered her lighter off the table during a party hoping she would come over and talk. She was just on the other side of the coffee table but the stereo was so loud, belly or dee lite or some other early 90's dance…

How We Open Doors

765765 views44 comments33 favs

-- as if I had / only rung the rusted bell --