PDF

How to travel with your Demons (4)


by Lillian Ann Slugocki


The demon makes his first appearance:

"The protagonist has been under the lens for quite some time now.  We've been examining her from a multitude of perspectives. But now its time to look at her through the perspective of the audience.  You.  Yes, I mean you.  Is there anything you like about her?  Would you recognize this woman on the street?  Sit down and have a conversation with her.  Tell me what you find out.  Get back to me with the details.  Spare nothing in your analysis.  Be as precise and as honest as humanly possible.  Judge her by the same rules as you judge yourself.  I hear some of you objecting.  Yes, I understand she is a not flesh and blood, she is fictional. I also understand if you don't think that's fair.  But consider this:  If she doesn't operate according to those rules, then where are we?  Isn't that anarchy?

When you sit down with her, its important that you are on time for the meeting.  Because if you're late she won't wait around.  Expect an elegant woman. This is what I've heard about her, although we've never actually met.  Some might call her a woman of the world.  Highly educated, articulate, self-aware; all those good, post modern qualities that make for a quality protagonist.  But also, and perhaps most importantly, highly flawed.  This is called hubris.  However, I take it one step further.  I see her fatal flaw contextualized in the myth of Icarus.  Not that she's destined to fall from the sky, like the implacable snow.  But isn't it a possibility?

So, you have my notes.  I look forward to hearing  from you."

section break

Hi, I have a car scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Miss, it's barely one in the afternoon.

But, it's still snowing.

Endcap