Alphabetical stories

Holiday Newsletter

145145 views1414 comments99 favs

Dear Friends: Thank you for all your newsy newsletters bragging about your children's accomplishments and your exotic travels this year. We, too, have had a wonderful year. Our son, Rick, was arrested for possession of cocaine but…

Hollow

15681568 views88 comments77 favs

His mouth is a flesh cave where a grizzly slumbers and winter is the blank page of my face.

Hollywood

887887 views55 comments55 favs

I heard that Hollywood is remaking “Thelma and Louise” with Christina Ricci and that dark haired girl who worked on a show that plays on the television. I heard it either from the internet or from a dream. I thought about looking it up, but I don't…

Hollywood A Go Go

803803 views00 comments00 favs

I wonder what strange and marvelous events would ensue if God decided to build another universe and went to Home Depot for supplies.

Hollywood Forever

10581058 views55 comments44 favs

Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone crack open an Old Bushmill’s and offer John Huston a pull.

Hollywood Stars

11791179 views33 comments11 fav

Your Uncle Howard and I listened to Dutch Reagan re broadcast big league baseball on WHO Radio when we were little. He'd call the play action off the wire complete with sound effects. The son of a bitch turned out to be a Republican...

Hollywood Sugar

10651065 views44 comments33 favs

No pain is private. How can it be?

Holocaust Car Wash

808808 views44 comments00 favs

There was always something about the air in the deep south. The summer air. It was always so thick. So heavy. Joey didn't notice. He didn't know any better. He had lived in Savannah all six years of his life. He did remember the one time his father and…

Holy Adam and Saint Jason

981981 views11 comment11 fav

“Where is my mom?” I think. I shouldn't have to be here alone. I am twenty two years old, strung-out on methamphetamine and sitting in a courtroom. It is the third day of the murder trial. My son was the victim. He was only two and his…

Holy Hell (a screenplay) (v.1)

11121112 views00 comments00 favs

(and the teacher’s voice, which we realize has just faded in at a drone:)

holy the valley

767767 views22 comments00 favs

Apparently we must endure them forever, the gods. My willingness to live among them, and love, with their high-pitched voices. To endure or be endured equally, each one of the Fates, each one of the high hearers stammering out the certainty of their lov

Holy Week

15671567 views3232 comments2020 favs

one day I will take you / to Grenada

Homage to Elizabeth Jennings

629629 views11 comment11 fav

Barred from hotel bars and restaurants because you drank too much, you won the prizes but seemed to disdain the people who gave them.

Homage to Jack

13001300 views22 comments44 favs

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Home for the Holidays

12471247 views00 comments00 favs

Deployed to Afghanistan for more than half of his two-year marriage, Trent is coming home for the holidays. But which holiday, exactly? And will he make it?

Home Health Care

12711271 views88 comments77 favs

But what if it grew into a nasty tea party-ish bimbo right winger -- a little Michelle Bachmann nubbin?

Home in Biloxi

12541254 views1010 comments33 favs

Her father stuffed years worth of stories into the phone, a sort of begging: how the new dog rode in the golf cart and retrieved lost Pinnacles; how the garage’s rent was too expensive; how the doctor gave him new pills and how he had lost weight and cu

Home Land

948948 views55 comments33 favs

At times we rarely desire to be where we are at home quite as much as we desire to be where we are no longer.

Home Movie

676676 views22 comments22 favs

One hand holds the string-like railing; the other holds a bright silver toaster.

Home Security

894894 views1111 comments77 favs

They might think that loneliness has made me gullible, more than willing to open for them all kinds of drawers.

Home, Soldier

886886 views22 comments00 favs

felt as if someone had pulled me in by the belt, or grabbed me by a knot in the hair, and kissed me with fire-engine lips. I was happy. I was in love.

Homecoming

205205 views00 comments00 favs

BOSTON didn't work out. Patrick had moved almost on a whim after graduation, but within a year he had lost his job and was out of savings. He had rent to pay and student loans, and soon his parents were saying, “Honey, you know you're always welcome…

Homecoming

16741674 views44 comments22 favs

Pion's long fingers fly from black to white, white to black, without missing even a measure. The nocturne starts soft.

Homecoming King

12161216 views55 comments22 favs

John Lipkin took a drag off his cigarette and rummaged through his desk drawer looking for pot. There wasn't any. He remembered looking last night, but he looked again now. There wasn't a damn thing, just some stems…

Homeland Security

849849 views22 comments11 fav

By the time I got back to the island only Henson was still alive. He didn’t speak; the gun said it all.

Homeless

10471047 views44 comments00 favs

blueberry tea and vodka on a Friday night

Homeless Haiku

639639 views33 comments33 favs

All I want is a

HOMELESS OUTSIDE THE CHURCH

16051605 views1010 comments1010 favs

Only the occasional kindness of a stranger,// The curve of his back, a slope rushing past me,// Is luminous, the coin pressed in my hand . . .//// And yes, I beg.//// I open my palm// As Jesus did.//

HOMESTEADING

13111311 views1818 comments1212 favs

She had loved sleeping in Todd’s arms at night, hearing the soft tinkle of crystal above her when cool drafts moved through the house, his hand wandering over the swell of her belly.

Hometown News: Newsprint Jesus (part 1)

10841084 views00 comments00 favs

I had enough judgment, anger and vengefulness from the people around me in the steel town of Pueblo, Colorado, where I was growing up. I didn’t need more from my God.