Recommended stories

Loveletters

10731073 views22 comments22 favs

The leadoff hitter must be comfortable accepting that he will almost never be the hero and will not be anyone's favorite and he will not be the baseball card that is traded for simply because his skills and abilities are subtle.

J.D. Salinger's Toilet Put Up For Auction

11001100 views66 comments11 fav

Everybody will be talking about it on campuses across the country “Hey! You’ll never guess who’s toilet I bought. I’m not shitting you!”

21

902902 views33 comments22 favs

The coach told the player, number 21, to stand in front of the net in order to distract the opposing team's goaltender and to block the view, to 'screen' him as it were. 21 did so, and did it well. There were defensemen that gave him much trouble by hitting his legs and…

Searching for Mr. Bharath Seshardi

804804 views33 comments22 favs

This tall, very fair, very blonde, very female, very feminist friend of mine, with a smile the moon and stars must take lessons from. . . .

Naming the Scourge We Made

638638 views22 comments11 fav

To give proper credit where due, one name suffices for what humanity likely will be dealing with for decades or centuries to come, and that name is “Technogenic Climate Change”.

Fake Letter: From Your Gay Son

15691569 views33 comments11 fav

Dear Mom, You told me the connection between a mother and her son is like no other connection. You carried me for nine months. You scheduled visits with the doctor; you thought and discussed and re-thought and re-discussed with dad what my name would be; you…

Investigation

920920 views33 comments22 favs

In this way a section of a marsh or weapons testing range, a forest or corporate landscape is transported into his living room.

Ascension of the Conquistador

10661066 views33 comments11 fav

One of Montejo's cap­tains has us drilling in the rain again. The sun hasn't shone for days and the air is sti­fling, like try­ing to breath under water. Every­thing looks gray except the palms. Each green leaf droops in the rain like a…

who really wants to be a virgin anyway?

920920 views22 comments22 favs

I remember thinking virginity was highly over-rated. Who really wants to be a virgin anyway? I got out of that state as fast as I could. Sixteen years (okay maybe 15 and a half) is long enough of not knowing what to do with your body. Screw that! But th

Filaments

930930 views44 comments22 favs

It's always dark when Cal and I arrive. We park under the bright sodium lamps, closest to the doors. The lights will probably be off by the time we return, unless the sensors miscue in the uncertain light of early morning. When that happens, the lights…

Change in Status

787787 views44 comments22 favs

First, he wrote it in a patch of new, wet cement one night at the intersection, for everyone to see, “Tad Loves Kimberley.” Maybe they were still in high school, or one of them worked at the café on the corner, and the other at the ice cream shop. Then

gravelortian part 13

800800 views22 comments22 favs

Upon further investigation two soldiers were found

Bigfoot Walks into a Bar

10571057 views33 comments22 favs

Some claimed seeing him that first time in the grocery store staring in at the pints of Haagen-Dazs, his breath fogging the glass as his head rested against the heavy freezer doors, stinking in his Sasquatch suit. The second time he was…

Too Much Info

835835 views22 comments11 fav

  It wasn't meant for our brains to take in so much information, I hear someone say on NPR The information age, seems to be suited for me, I can't get enough of it, it floods my mind and nerves, Reading wikipedia and blogs for hours and You tube   And im…

Longing of the Broken-Hearted

753753 views44 comments22 favs

I remember sitting on the screened-in front porch of my house on Illinois Street that summer that we met. I had just come up from school at downstate Illinois. I remember eating a peach and listening to the sounds in my neighborhood, just listening. The

Blackballed

846846 views66 comments11 fav

When I was a small child, my father was just barely a man, and he was independently wealthy. So it didn't matter that he was an adolescent inside. There was never any mention of "working." No notion of career. Just the girl he knocked up and the amusing…

Take Two Llamas and Call Me in the Morning

920920 views44 comments22 favs

A Massachusetts nursing home that doesn’t believe in antipsychotic drugs uses a llama named Travis to calm patients.

The Witch from Bilbao

15171517 views55 comments11 fav

I remember the first time I saw her. I'd just pushed through the crowded bar and waited to place my order.

just a girl on a couch

12741274 views33 comments11 fav

behind the curtainof a ballsy fragilitythere lives an easethat was not easythere exists a gracethat is not always gracefulbeauty can maskcheekbones that sometimes look sadwhen they are smilingeven grin determinationneeds downtimethe prize is still thereeven if the eyes…

Rescue 1973

14401440 views22 comments22 favs

I remember it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella and I was standing there on the corner, waiting for Rudy's school bus, thinking, Why don't I have an umbrella?

Animals in the Sky

23612361 views22 comments22 favs

When the great comet passed over, everyone was at my door with pitch forks and rifles with extra long bayonets. Don’t kill it yet; I want to study its habits.

Sushi's Night Out

997997 views33 comments22 favs

... she’d stolen her boyfriend away from her, leaving her with a goldfish and a cat. Oh, and a pillow and some lights, she added. And I can’t really see you, because I’m blind.

A Lapse in Concentration

923923 views55 comments22 favs

[...] A crimson post-it note/ illustrates the squiggle of a resting pulse wavering/ near the broken pencil leads and whorls of/soft wood which may be classed as evidence.

Children are always beautiful

14271427 views66 comments11 fav

“Your children are beautiful,” she said, handing back his wallet after removing several bills. Her mouth was fringed by bitten-off melon lipstick, a calm kind of mad. She told him to call her Sally, “like the song McCartney rips his lungs on.” She…

The Shield

20602060 views33 comments11 fav

The girl has big tits for only being fourteen. She leans in the passenger side window of my car and asks me for a bag of ten Oxycontin.She has no clue what I could do to her right now, that I'm a cop and could bring her ass up on charges if I wanted to. I want to do…

It Is Enough

16101610 views22 comments22 favs

I don't know what my mother is thinking. She's either cart wheeling into crazy land or turning into a ghoul.

Playground in the Fire

10951095 views22 comments22 favs

People questioned my motives when I became a smokejumper again. They said I had a death wish, or that somehow by going into battle against the big Pacific Northwest forest fires, I was still trying to put out the flames of the burning car in which my sons Jake (age…

Stupid's Rising Up

10671067 views99 comments11 fav

Stupid's rising up, I see. Melting all the intellect. I before E, except after C, but that's not how the alphabet goes.

A Tinder Ghost

708708 views11 comment22 favs

Do you know if you were actually speaking to me there?

The Semaphore of Civilization

955955 views44 comments22 favs

We're alone and besieged / by badness.