Most recent stories

Excelsior - A Poem in 9 Parts (post 2 of 5)

10291029 views22 comments22 favs

II. ByCoalport Your hair streams minarets across a bridge, The…

Advice For Aspiring Writers

10081008 views55 comments44 favs

Published writers will tell you that the most important thing you can do as a beginning writer is to know your markets! So this month, we'll talk about two of the markets open to you and your riveting but as yet unpublished prose -- Fling Magazine and Clubhouse…

Gateway to the Continent

14821482 views22 comments22 favs

I got to Victoria station at quarter to eleven on a Friday with nothing but a small leather bag and the vague idea of getting out of London.

One Way (for Tina Kieffer)

10671067 views55 comments33 favs

This mother, she buys a one way ticket whenever she visits her three daughters who have wandered far from the eyes of her pearlescent knitting needles and tutti-frutti yarns.

An Apricot the Size of a Heart

963963 views77 comments55 favs

I dreamt, said the Donkey, of an apricot. An apricot the size of a heart. …

The Queen of the Underground

10581058 views88 comments77 favs

Study decay, says the Queen of the Underground.

Don't Trip On My Exit Switch

12231223 views44 comments44 favs

It’s nice, but, it’s weird not being in love, or maybe in love, sometimes in love. (Or, not in love. Frankly, we might be not in love.) Or, both of us might be. Or, only one of us might be. (Good lord, I hope it’s never me.)

Zero

278278 views55 comments44 favs

0 is beautiful0 invented by Indians1 you can almost trust2 is poor3 the figure of human nature4 the face of all paradox5 is a handsome man6 a repetitive voice7 is a temptress9 an ugly and noisy digitSo too is 8100 is rich1000 the symbol of strength1 million resembles a…

Our Top Hats Blow Off While Yours Gets Tipped

817817 views55 comments66 favs

Our world is a prism floating through its own rainbow smeared shadows in a desperate attempt to get caught. Our lives are in the carpets, the planks, the winds. Whatever has heard us, has not believed in us enough to rescue us from our own …

Staring at a Bird Feeder

13551355 views88 comments55 favs

Will it strike suddenly?

Dream State

10791079 views1212 comments66 favs

forced to submit/ to reasonableness// and universal healthcare.

If Ted Hughes Rewrote Shakespeare

904904 views11 comment11 fav

The Phoenix Asks the Turtle-Dove if He Can Get a Drop of Water: After Shakespeare — In the style of Ted Hughes Let the bugling bird come up that burst a big loud lay, On the solitary tree of old Arabia (sound its thunder!):…

Very Short Stories And Pictures Of Ducks

10331033 views11 comment11 fav

...the loving and very painful hurt of our daily sustenance

Couch Potato Blues

838838 views33 comments33 favs

Whenever I get the urge to write a poem I try to talk myself out of it.

Newborn Baby App — Buyer Beware!

761761 views11 comment11 fav

They first hook you in with how cute they are. And they are cute, do not get me wrong. I'm not, nor have I ever been, fundamentally against babies—until now. As the first reviewer of this oh-so-wonderful app, my intention is not to…

We Shall Not Go Unheard

333333 views33 comments22 favs

I am human, I am no piece of meat.I am (womb)an.I stand on my own two feet.I move my own arms and legs.I do not scramble eggsnor do I wait for the telephone to ringfrom possibly potential datesdesperate for my affections,none of them remotely worthy.Independent am I. …

Uffdah! (rise to a standing position) Oy veh! (settle to a seated position)

644644 views44 comments33 favs

Cameron Diaz

Chancing the Moonglow

10791079 views77 comments77 favs

It's become sort of a habit now when Elsie's husband is away on business two or three times a month that we take the afternoon off and drive nine miles across the river to Marginalia, Arkansas and the Moonglow Motel with its red, neon vacancy sign and although to some, two…

The Street Of God Knows What & Other Stories

10621062 views33 comments22 favs

One night he woke up with Underdog laying next to him, breathing softly. He marveled at how fiction could make reality so much better.

Cell Phone

11781178 views99 comments66 favs

Hey, how are you? she squeaked.

Ode to BX442

721721 views11 comment11 fav

Your distance from me is fathomable but just barely— 10.7 billion lightyears—about as far as anything possibly could be. Far from the street where my apartment is, from joy or regret or any notion of chicken salad. My friends at Wikipedia tell me…

Oopsy-Daisy!

14421442 views00 comments11 fav

[This story definitely WON'T be appearing in this month's "Alfred Hitchock's Mystery Magazine"!]

Small Talk

687687 views00 comments00 favs

Popping in to buy a tire gauge. Stumbling, drunk, on your way to buy cigarettes with two cops coming in behind you. You hold the door.

Matar

973973 views00 comments11 fav

Gamo knows the Master doesn't make idle requests and orders the secret issue of weapons to the student priests, who now stand gathered at Kang's back. Swords, spears and shields are quietly handled and hidden from the Mantidean's view. Dr. Kang continues

Christmas

12321232 views1010 comments66 favs

My first girlfriend had blue Christmas lights strung on trees in front of her stone house. My family had all gone to bed. When midnight came, it was snowing.

Lost among the Riff-raff

10561056 views1515 comments1111 favs

Poor, pocked Ceres- dwarf planet/ trapped among mere asteroids-

Dream(ed) Life

12061206 views77 comments1010 favs

From room to room, neither closet nor drawer contained any remnant of pleasant memory.

Arcana Magi Memorial Vol.5 - c.3

10771077 views00 comments00 favs

There were security guards running all over the place. Campus police cars, with lights flashing, at various locations in the distance. Sora gripped her books tight as they saw their dormitory building ahead.

Pomegranate juice thief walks home

913913 views88 comments66 favs

That is a six-word story. Notice that the meaning does not change with the word count. Syllabic count: pentameter (ten). Keep these commas.

Puppet ABC - 2

680680 views22 comments22 favs

I clearly see the squirrels of negativity all around me, ladies & gentlemen. I sensed they were there filling in the blank spaces as I read down the page, prior to arriving at the meaning of everything.