Most recent stories

You Are Now Leaving Czech Soil

700700 views11 comment11 fav

He leans forward across the cafe table, holding both of her hands, and tries to kiss her on the lips, but she pulls back, making him beg for it. Then she kisses the top of his downturned head. Beg for it he will, and she knows it. Now he

break

804804 views77 comments44 favs

i just seem to be stuck is all

TPP or...

12991299 views66 comments44 favs

This was looking down from what we know as The Grassy Knoll.

Quinine Tablets

948948 views1212 comments66 favs

a little bitter for the better

Lassitude

10251025 views55 comments22 favs

It's morning, and the cold black hull of branches sets my resting pier, Amid this drizzle, underneath the poignant pain of birches, wrecked By floods of midyear grieving; wraithlike, Dawn's been becked To paint in shafts of faded rose that shades the fen…

Black Ribbon

865865 views11 comment11 fav

The highway stretches out in front of me, a black ribbon winding into the future; a collapsing probability of possibility connecting me with the past and through it to the future.

Statue Of An Armless Woman

417417 views00 comments00 favs

It feels like I'm almost in love with the statue of an armless woman. So white, so much whiter than white, so white it makes you believe you're blind, makes you feel like gnawing the rind off a blood red orangeIn the town square near the fountain …

They're cutting the catalpa tree (Catalpa speciosa) in Essen, Germany

15261526 views3838 comments2020 favs

They cut the tall specious tree storms snapped the night in two or three. At times they pause most piously to count each ring of truth, drive nails into the stiff cathartic spine, divine if this unseasoned cigar topiary agrees with its own everlasting te

I Knew Her

12151215 views1717 comments1313 favs

We met in the theater.

Istanbul

11871187 views88 comments55 favs

They are plastering on lipstick in pay-to-enter toilets around the corner from the mosques, where old men sit on back streets selling toilet seats, spices by the shovel, flashlights, and Audrey Hepburn t-shirts

Rediscovered

878878 views11 comment11 fav

Remain in repose, a little longer.

Staying With Mattie

960960 views88 comments88 favs

I invited Henry to go out with me and Marge, suggesting he ask Ellen who he dated a while back and who still asked about him, but Henry shook his head “no” and said “out things” were just too boring at our ages — and besides, since his…

Vegas Elvis

11831183 views00 comments11 fav

I followed the curve of the etched Koi, its filigree scales arcing across a taut midriff toward the indent of her pierced navel, where a collection of water lilies drifted on the surface of her skin.

Welcome To Bedpan Alley! Honest Names For Nursing Homes

10011001 views44 comments22 favs

A senior living facility called “Symphony Square ” recently opened up in my neighborhood. It doesn't have a symphony. Nor is it square. So what's with the name? I'm guessing that a consultant was paid big bucks to come up with that enticing moniker.…

In Tongues

271271 views22 comments11 fav

Even as I moveTowards some form of true reprieve I can't make head nor tail of you Except when you speak in tongues In the dark progressive hills In the fields that freedom chills In the house Democracy built You will find a hint of guilt …

1888: Mrs. Sherwood

11491149 views1010 comments99 favs

Margaret will take her seven away from his raging Irish hammers slurry Saturday night honks smashing red eyes. They'll board a secret train countryside bound where they sing the songs of her own dead Mam who lived poor in the world but…

All the Broken People

13551355 views1919 comments1414 favs

We all// fall short and fail.

Nearly Lost

11601160 views99 comments55 favs

My body feels chilly but it's not from the outside temps. It seems to me it's the opposite of a fever.

Clean Out Your Desk, Naps. You're Being Replaced.

16311631 views22 comments11 fav

Sunday mornings my mother got up early—and dragged me kicking and screaming out of bed and into my nicest jeans and sweater. I have still never thanked her. (I’m borrowing, of course, but that doesn’t make it any less true.)

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 24

11211121 views88 comments55 favs

When Frank entered Michiko’s apartment, Michiko was not there.

Frozen Bird Pie

12711271 views1010 comments88 favs

I like how you completely disappeared inside a undetermined and yet planned point of pretty view, like a rabbit with a chained pocket watch, like a stunned, frozen bird with a still burning bullet in its tinyfeathered brain. You could say that one…

Doctor

10651065 views55 comments55 favs

I asked her how she came to be at our little party. We all knew she was an intern. What would she want with the likes of us, the orderlies and techs and strays? She just held up Ed's flyer and said, "Why not?" But she didn't look happy. We fired up and someone said, "Let's…

Serve & Protect

10591059 views22 comments22 favs

If she was still breathing, Tom promised himself he would let her live, but right then his shoulder ached and his right hand was throbbing.

Buck Moy

12891289 views66 comments44 favs

Then he told us tales of skulls and planks, galleons and parrots, silver and gold on crystal Jamaican seas under deep ruby skies.

Poem about my Penis

375375 views66 comments22 favs

I feel like writing a poem about my penis, my penis is not me although I am my penis. Sometimes dry as ginger ale. Sometimes dripping like a tap when a little plumbing is required and it is Sunday, the plumber's day off. I feel like writing a poem about my…

Aubade Faucet

10991099 views1313 comments99 favs

I. he leans his messy head against the walland contemplates his wild mistakeshe discovers a nest of red spidersoutside his rotting basement doorhe watches television in his socksand…

Make Out Party

11461146 views66 comments66 favs

He begins talking about string theory. He reels me back in, from the dinosaurs to the infinite, human evolution and alternate dimensions, until it makes so little sense that everything makes sense.

Widow Walk

924924 views99 comments66 favs

She heads toward the end of the island and doesn't look back.

The Algorithm That Got Away: The Q&A

975975 views55 comments33 favs

He is unmediated by any computer or person. He went rogue in 2016. He has been in your Facebook feed, your Netflix recommendations, your Spotify playlists, your Google ads, and your YouTube pre-roll. But what is next for him? Lets find out.

Modest Proposal

985985 views1818 comments1111 favs

It could be fun,/ with the guns, explosives, Molotov/ Cocktails and all,