Most read stories

Tonight's Special

392392 views44 comments44 favs

I didn't arrive at the Wicked Spoon every night in the same mood. Some nights I would arrive under the spell of a generous emptiness, what I like to call the euphoria of futility. Not exactly a state of bliss, but a dazed detachment in which everything is so pointlessly…

In the Woods II

391391 views44 comments22 favs

The neighbor was a little woman...

Star-eater; a poem

390390 views55 comments44 favs

Star-eaterHere lies the star-eater.Tilting on the ancient wheelof summer-glaze-breath,you speak the oceans. Fire's the mealfor you, the star-eater. You defy death,and out of your mouth, a universe openspouring forth, as fleet as the starslight on your tongue. Space…

OBLIGATORIES

389389 views66 comments22 favs

.

The Year of the Cat

388388 views22 comments22 favs

And it is pouring cats and dogs on a California afternoonoff the corner of Sunset and Highland.Droplets of sorrow drip down our foreheadas our eyelashes bash back the rain.A woman hands us free tickets to the Merv Griffin show.The bus is about to leave without us.We take…

The Miracle of My Father's Hat

388388 views3131 comments2020 favs

During the liberation, a Jew in the Russian army, asked him who had been the cruelest. My father gave them the name of the farmer who had murdered his father, and was later told the farmer's son was sent to the front and killed.

Masters

385385 views77 comments44 favs

"... he with much to teach, I who had much to learn..."

Wake

384384 views66 comments44 favs

At my daughter's wake Mr. Aleford, her teacher, poked out his pointy nose, sniffing my cologne. How could I be plastered with this, at a time like this? Well, dear Sir, Two reasons. One, to hide the booze. And two, because my wife and I had made feverish love that…

The World is Full

382382 views55 comments33 favs

of birds. The world is full of snakes. The world isfull of mushrooms. The world is full of flies. The worldis full of bombs. Not so many trees. Not as many as you might think. The world is full of flowers. Notso many bees. The world is full of rocks. Some…

Putin Flies!

382382 views44 comments33 favs

Rumors stranger than usual were circulating in Moskva. Naturally, they could not be confirmed, but they were making the rounds so thickly that they began spilling out of the capital. “Putin has become a superman!”

No Wind

381381 views1010 comments55 favs

The candle was near the windowsill.It smelled like the musk my father used to spray before he went awayto work.Oh father, I remember you,your chocolate brown eyes,would watch the sunrisebefore breakfast;serious- so serious and waiting for something that…

Love Song Number 277

379379 views1414 comments1010 favs

Tell me how magnificent my mind is

The Ego Rises

379379 views33 comments22 favs

I submit to you, your sentiencethat circulatesthru a nothing more than I,than all the moonssurrendering down their grace,than sun-bright gospels assembling deep belowthis mountainof solipsistic snow,where oxygen is lostas distance buries distanceand silent mirrorsrequire no…

Xmas Story

377377 views44 comments22 favs

The conspicuous police car was conspicuously just ahead.

untitled

377377 views1313 comments1111 favs

fallen leaves, broken limbs fron wounded trees

The Exhibit

376376 views22 comments11 fav

She had written down Bailey’s new address even though she knew that he could not stay in the same place for more than six months.

Poem about my Penis

375375 views66 comments22 favs

I feel like writing a poem about my penis, my penis is not me although I am my penis. Sometimes dry as ginger ale. Sometimes dripping like a tap when a little plumbing is required and it is Sunday, the plumber's day off. I feel like writing a poem about my…

Three o’clock in the Morning

372372 views88 comments44 favs

.

among American gods

372372 views33 comments22 favs

in dark recesses of this morgue of earth / where beauty of the good does not compel, / where evil's horrors seldom do repel— / Americ gods reign o'er from birth to birth.

Visitation

369369 views44 comments33 favs

Nothing but the motion

Here, You Cry

369369 views88 comments77 favs

Once a week the kids at school got ice cream and popsicles. You didn’t, you never had ice cream money.

Hey, Orpheus, Don't Look Back, Dude

369369 views44 comments11 fav

Graduates, I've seen the future of this world and it has had part of its brain removed.

Lullabies.

368368 views2727 comments1818 favs

Sleep shall take you where plutonium Stars the drinking pools with light.

The Pitch

366366 views66 comments44 favs

This is what I am saying now.

Borderline

365365 views77 comments55 favs

You slipped me the key

Hair Growing Out of Her Tongue

363363 views11 comment11 fav

Ay Federico sit down and let me make you some Cuban cafewhile you rest those versus you left behind when you were shotat the border or some plain in Spain. Dear Federico rest, rest my friend while I tell you about my tia Ela Lee. Of course we did not call her that. We…

Chewie and R2D2

363363 views22 comments11 fav

The door was locked. Han Solo couldn't believe it. After they'd come all this way! …

Let's Start with the End

363363 views1111 comments66 favs

Let’s start with the end—death. Upbeat, huh?

Musk

362362 views66 comments77 favs

The moment you realize love is never finding you everything evaporatesdroplets of dew are everywherethe sun doesn't have to penetrate a cloudfor you to feel the sunshine pulling weeds is like drinking a glass of water sweat falls down…

World

362362 views66 comments44 favs

Making me hate language