Most read stories

The Straps and the Electric

432432 views99 comments55 favs

The winter sun was going down and she watched it out the window.Light like shards of glass,time had melted.It took hold.She was held down by brown leather straps and she couldremember the smell of incense and little hands and little eyesof an infant cold on the bed.She…

Left On The Scrap Heap

432432 views44 comments33 favs

Daylight and cold sensed as an abstract, a number in my mind. Air thin, polluted, lacking oxygen. But the Recyclers are at it again.

Denial

429429 views1111 comments77 favs

Then for a few seconds, maybe even a minute or two, we wallow in a sensual shower of raw emotion. Our defenses are nonexistent and we are overwhelmed with care and gratitude. Suddenly, we love our enemies and are willing to forgive our trespassers.

Through a Sudden Window

428428 views44 comments33 favs

There is someone looking for youfor himself or her. I don't know if they'll keep on looking forever when we live our present lives so far apart from each other. You might as well be behind a glass at all times. But I still would want that lucky…

Twister

427427 views22 comments11 fav

“You know this is your death car.”

Words of Departure

427427 views33 comments22 favs

Not a fuss, not a stink, The eulogy, deep, will make one think, Grandmother, sat in back, will wink

I Still Miss the Sun

423423 views66 comments22 favs

I know I’m in the sky all night And can lie back and sometimes have some fun But these stars around me aren’t everything in life I still miss the sun After your first lover threw you back Into the frozen ocean of life You never came back

Some Things Can't Be Fixed

422422 views88 comments77 favs

Orchids strewn over the floor...

Main Street

419419 views11 comment00 favs

You know when you see the flashing blue lights in your rearview mirror that you're not being pulled over because of a busted taillight or carelessly doing fifty in a thirty-five mile an hour school zone; your crime is being a Black man behind the wheel. It happens often…

THE HAUNTED MICROWAVE by Stephen King

418418 views22 comments11 fav

[Boy, was this a hard night!]

One Of These Dreams ...

417417 views99 comments66 favs

Imagine a morning without dawn, without daylight ... The night birds still hoot, the flowers wait for the light to change their make-up, black birds have locked their beaks. A morning unlike any other ... The moon above continues to reign over the milky way, the stars to…

Statue Of An Armless Woman

417417 views00 comments00 favs

It feels like I'm almost in love with the statue of an armless woman. So white, so much whiter than white, so white it makes you believe you're blind, makes you feel like gnawing the rind off a blood red orangeIn the town square near the fountain …

two love tankas

417417 views33 comments22 favs

December scent rains coming down sodden leaves underfoot

American MEOW

417417 views99 comments55 favs

No American ghosts are friendly. I hate to be the one to break the news to you, amigo. American ghosts speak in blood and smoke signals and guttural cries. American ghosts MEOW.

falling, endlessly

414414 views11 comment11 fav

Clouds quickly appeared, in a perfect peach sky. Big, puffy clouds, moving together, formed the shape of a heart.

The Secret to Everything

412412 views11 comment11 fav

You were still holding yourself In your own arms, when I first found you You were so fresh No thunder had ever spoken your name No lightning lit up your veins I continued to have the feeling of you Between my dream muscles and my lack of s

Control

412412 views44 comments22 favs

Paul and Mary Jo lived in an apartment at the top of a long, dark flight of stairs that were so high, I remember as if it were yesterday thinking, the night she pushed him down the stairs, he would surely be dead by the time he hit the landing at the…

My Summer Vacation

411411 views55 comments44 favs

Apple is apple plum plum that is a kiss without a tongue

line breaks

411411 views1010 comments88 favs

I wish

I'm Not Emilio Estevez

410410 views1313 comments77 favs

Here was the situation, as I recounted it to myself: somehow, I was trapped in some unearthly dimension where Baltimore, actor Emilio Estevez, and myself had somehow collided in a big cartoon scrum complete with onomatopoeias and clouds of dust.

FALLING MAN

409409 views55 comments55 favs

Steve Kramer was a brilliant young artist on the scene in New York in the 70s when I was starting out as a writer. He built little electronic dioramas displaying stuffed rats in various bizarre settings. Flip the switch and they would get fried in a little rat-sized…

Adultery

407407 views77 comments44 favs

-- Adultery I took her out to a drive-in movie and we had sex in the back seat of my car. Then went into the concession stand to get something sweet after so much sex, and everyone was in there doing the same thing, you could tell by…

The Pataphysical Tourist

406406 views33 comments22 favs

We all get in a carriage of tin and volcanic glass and go a-touring. We had quite an itinerary to fulfill, all of it loosely applied to the principle of serendipity. We toured Luxembourg and tossed pretzels to the bankers who did tricks for us, somersaults and complex…

Reds and Blues

405405 views2222 comments1111 favs

.

Left to our own Dvices

404404 views44 comments22 favs

No one knew why DVices were so hard to find. No one knows for sure anyway.

Rain (a sense of her)

404404 views1616 comments1010 favs

.

Wacky at Work.

399399 views00 comments00 favs

["Why can't we just look the other way ... ?"-Interpol, on the radio]

point

396396 views77 comments44 favs

---

George Square

396396 views77 comments44 favs

I Buchanan Street; god strums a cheap guitar. Vaginas grow wet at clashing chords. The primitive civilised. From the city square I sense false profits, zigzag philosophies. The familiar falls…

diversion

393393 views77 comments44 favs

x