Most discussed stories

Scene of Mostly Unwilling Players

10191019 views66 comments33 favs

Chewing on peppered peanuts, thin flakes scattered carelessly around his squat, Father unfurls his turban and mops his clammy pate with an open palm.

The Meaning of Salvation

964964 views66 comments44 favs

I descend to my grave / where I will unbend / until the Coming of Christ

Mar–a-Lago

701701 views66 comments55 favs

A petition submitted to the Planning Department of Palm Beach Florida requests a zoning variance applied to Mar — a — Lago. Studies, backed by research, have defined Mar-a- Lago, an ideal location for shelter and protection for immigrants, fleeing from…

The Boyfriend

11151115 views66 comments44 favs

As a boyfriend, he knows that such A.D.D. insensitivity could be considered a major liability in the eyes of most girlfriends, including his.

Conceived in the New Liberty

19051905 views66 comments22 favs

Each mobile unit carried an Alsetex grenade launcher for dispersing tear gas. Any group of five or more people was deemed suspicious and immediately dispersed by roving patrols.

Movie Star in a Mental Ward

13451345 views66 comments55 favs

He was a beautiful older man, late sixties, who reminded me of a movie star with a thick mane of silver hair parted neatly from left to right and eyes the color of that stretch of Pacific Ocean between San Pedro and Catalina Island, the calming blue of a carefree weekend…

To a Bright Pair of Green Eyes

10111011 views66 comments44 favs

The sad march goes ever on. It stretches endlessly over an eternity of painful hills, as unnatural as lumps under the skin, into the deserted broken down streets, the forgotten unprotected alleyways, always adding more and more lost children to…

Love, Mortar

18931893 views66 comments55 favs

My love for you is like a brick. It sits silent in me when you bring out my food at the Dine and Dart, red tray aloft, your skin gleaming like grilled onions. My love is rough around the edges but solid through the center, fresh from the kiln. My love for you is…

Ruins

12391239 views66 comments33 favs

The camera moves slowly around the interior of a building inhabited by books.

ok, ok, so I concede

12151215 views66 comments66 favs

some answers are enough to make you cry or laugh yourself to death

Mr. Wazzeldot

11271127 views66 comments11 fav

Mr. Wazzeldot has seven legs. He lives very comfortably. He likes to sit by the fire. There's a large cushion for a chair, and in the evenings, he sips his Bloody Marys. I know because I visit him…

Only Dreams

10351035 views66 comments33 favs

Her smile like fortune’s cannot be coerced but she opens her peignoir. He stares at the sullen bullethole between her breasts, dark blood welling slowly with each heartbeat. Does he bow slightly, turn away whole? You suppose not. She closes the door.

Jack-in-the-Box U-Haul

11281128 views66 comments66 favs

“When I was six years old, Dad came home from Vietnam and picked me and Mama up from her sister's house in Boston. We packed a U-Haul with everything we owned from T.V. to toothbrush. Dad hitched the trailer to the Rambler and drove us South, back home to Carolina. A…

obituary unsolicited

507507 views66 comments55 favs

po-mo parchments piled high deep: / credentials earnest transcripts earned / coursework scholarships helpt buy.

Slouching Towards Bethlehem

11031103 views66 comments55 favs

We didn't wear shoes in the summer, except for Sunday school and church. The soles of our feet were black and tough as shoe leather.

Voices From a Playground

11571157 views66 comments33 favs

"Eye contact is essential as it shows confidence. I walk with purpose and hope that my skirt isn’t too short. "

In search of reification

10201020 views66 comments55 favs

For want of a word...

disparate haiku (mostly)

11261126 views66 comments55 favs

faith in gravity/permitted them to extol/the guillotine's blade.

Ink

671671 views66 comments22 favs

Somewhere in the tenth dimension

OF ALL 2,000 YEARS

11791179 views66 comments44 favs

OF ALL 2,000 YEARS 10 Point The city after the snow was Medieval, the thousand paths wound as browsing deer. Inside her coat what wild heart. Lethe The beads were rolled-river at her throat, milk blue on a yellow string. I…

Night has yet to break its fever

12061206 views66 comments55 favs

Even the neighborhood houses show their sunburnt faces and symptoms of heat stroke in the glow of their night lights.

The Date

10151015 views66 comments55 favs

Everything was cool until she used the phrase, "five million dollar home."

Chalk (Sunflowers) on a Sidewalk

11081108 views66 comments66 favs

Okay, so it's not exactly the lost art of sweeping anything away . For the sad fact that no one searing Love endures just for us. Brown, folded Petals, yellows buttered over petals, I do not Wait to see if the floating moon Can at…

Cold

10291029 views66 comments66 favs

Winter will be cold this year, you tell her. You read that. She says she is with child with her new husband. You tell her she's forty-five, it is selfish. The baby. It's fine. You demand to be at her tests. Evan may let you, she says. He's a doll. She would never use that…

Acorn Gardening for Everyone

970970 views66 comments66 favs

I'd like to grow you a new flower. I thinkmaybe I just will. Right now. Here's as good a place as any. Well you'll probably never get to see it, but it will be there just the same and it will be all yours. Kind of like these poems that I make if…

Loch Traignarry Light

10771077 views66 comments44 favs

The Traignarry Light Preservation Society meets monthly, and welcomes visitors.

Magic Togs

12021202 views66 comments11 fav

New Underwear

Academic Papers & The People Who Write Them

16551655 views66 comments66 favs

It distresses me that I do not write enough. I know I’ve told you before that I don’t read, and it may be super-ridiculous to tell you now that I don’t write much either, but that is the sad catastrophe I with affection refer to as my life.

Our Previous Lives - song

10511051 views66 comments33 favs

When I arrived in heaven Calling out your name Running just on vapor Leaving my old flames I thought I saw you singing Dripping from all sides Crying like a rainbow Reliving our old lives

Building This Thing and That Wall

10341034 views66 comments66 favs

The world has long since been bootlegged by madmen. The new invisible con men are the same as the old visible con men, hiding and lying behind their walls of lingering death. There's a weapon wielding demon hell bent on an insane vengeance crawling around…