Alphabetical stories

Not Even Know It

911911 views88 comments00 favs

I remember the man well, though he didn't notice me.Even though a million tiny things happened to cause his hand to brush me away from his neck, he didn't notice. Much like the way his eyes bounced off women's bodies as he hurried down the sidewalk in his blue wool…

Not Everything's Supposed to Make You Think

913913 views66 comments55 favs

you are on a missing boat in the middle Of a fogged out notion of some sort. A no nonsense paddle could be made out Of something as intangible as an Incoming wave. This could also be a Floating thought up map, man. In…

Not finding you

11181118 views44 comments22 favs

Had this been a film, I’d have seen you at once. Extreme close-up: my finger on the green button that opens the door to the park. Long shot: my leaving my bike at the entrance. Slow shot: my walking down the narrow stone path.

Not from the self but from the Other

11101110 views00 comments11 fav

meanings figure into traffic streams reds fade, trickle down the long ‘V' another passing human ear; tall, tall buildings paper poised on horizon. situations gape in and out of seconds corners turn to disappearance, witness follows fingers…

Not Good Enough

10201020 views99 comments1010 favs

So where does that leave me, Roscoe Loomis wondered, dismounting his silver, aluminum steed in his sweat-soaked, spandex outfit, and, clearing the saliva from his beard he walked over, checked and smiled, learning that the bike track's timing unit showed it was Roscoe's…

Not Here and Therefore Everywhere

832832 views11 comment22 favs

Sometimes I try to hum / along with the air conditioning, / and pretend I do not exist, but am merely / the space that fills the room.

Not If, But When

11621162 views77 comments66 favs

She tells me I have to face the fact that I have the heart of the Tin Man. I know the story. He had none. She is very sensitive and I have to measure my remarks because words bruise her so easily. So, I…

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, lv - lxiii

11251125 views55 comments66 favs

facts of matters are not as they seem,/hour by hour crafty comments creep in,/another hour and "the good" is a horror:/ our human blindness is older than our sight.

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, lxiv - lxxii

11801180 views77 comments55 favs

words have their own ancestors,/deeds are commanded by their own lords./ knowledge and thought do not make me understand—/no surprise, then, that I am not understood.

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, lxxiii - lxxxi

900900 views55 comments44 favs

proper words fail to get proper points across . . . truthful words have no beauty,/beautiful words have no truth.

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, xlvi - liv

14471447 views1212 comments99 favs

the Great Way itself is very smooth and straight,/but folks take to the challenge of rough, wild roads.

Not Lao-tzu's Magna Carta, xxxviii - xlv

12451245 views88 comments77 favs

what is raised up must rest on its foundation.

Not Lao-tzu's Yellow Brick Road, i - xvi

15111511 views1010 comments1010 favs

the Way that can be mapped leads nowhere.

Not Lao-tzu's Yellow Brick Road, xvii - xxvii

11521152 views77 comments66 favs

—indistinct and foggy, my eyes lost at sea, confined to a horizon not close to land.

Not Lao-tzu's Yellow Brick Road, xxviii - xxxvii

12821282 views99 comments77 favs

master carvers do not reduce with carving.

Not Making Heads or Tales

799799 views1717 comments1717 favs

Something about shadows and last time and driving.

Not Particles but Waves

746746 views77 comments44 favs

not in the interest of verisimilitude/ for there's plenty of that in each day already/ as trajectories interrupt other trajectories

Not Quite There Yet

894894 views33 comments33 favs

You're not late yet, but if you don't move now, you will be. You close the cover of your mac book, don't even finish the sentence you were working on or close down the file. What had been of the utmost importance, clutching at your…

Not real words about a not real place

935935 views11 comment00 favs

I'm going up and down elevators all over the Financial District and I have no office.

Not So Thoughtful After All

997997 views33 comments44 favs

She put the Necco wafer on Sally's tongue."You can't be the priest, Emma" Sally said nearly choking on the hard, chalky disk."Then why you on yaw knees stupid?""You said to be prayin' and like in church, but you can't be doin' priest stuff. That's for…

Not Sure If You're Actually Having Sex? I Can Help.

11911191 views1010 comments88 favs

When I stumbled upon evidence that the man I'd loved and trusted for 20 years had a secret girlfriend for the past 10 of those years, he tried to deny it.“We never had sex!” he told me. And I believed him. For about two minutes.“You never…

Not That Kind of Pain

15621562 views2222 comments2121 favs

What kind of pain is it?

Not the Prelude in C# Minor?!

4949 views00 comments00 favs

Richard played the piece again, slowly, fingers stretching for the high notes while the left hand kept the bass line moving. Then the theme, both hands hard. The notes on the score blurred, every phrase reminding him of a different melody from a long-forgotten time and…

Not Tired

13341334 views99 comments44 favs

Three hours isn't that long.

Not today, you crab!

583583 views11 comment11 fav

My single sculling boat was not made to take the impact of a pickup.

Not Wanting to Write

14391439 views2121 comments1414 favs

I don't want / to write about the body indulged, desires / denied, tortures invented, pleasures innate

Not Waving but Shivering

850850 views88 comments22 favs

Skullcap of crabs. Will you record it as it rips clean?

Not Writing

986986 views55 comments33 favs

I don't look like other poets. / People hardly believe it when I say / "I write poetry, sometimes. / During lonely evenings."

Not Yeatsian

941941 views55 comments22 favs

Didn't he have like a frog No lips so speak of, and the weathered lizard Look of the frequently face-lifted?

Note from the wilderness

13951395 views2727 comments77 favs

It's a business, after all, all are quick to remind us. True dat, and the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west, and death and taxes...yup yup, we know. We get it.