Alphabetical stories

Impressionist Modern

10901090 views44 comments33 favs

I'd never seen a dead person before, let alone one that was living just seconds earlier.

Improbable Bodies

15451545 views2020 comments66 favs

The book has known many women’s hands, something erotic and frequently checked out from our local library. Its cover depicts a man and a woman, both with improbable if not impossible bodies. I believe the term is bodice-ripper.

Impromptu Retranscriptions from the 'Song of Songs' (erotic poetry - explicit language)

13691369 views44 comments33 favs

I. When my lips mouth yours where they are…

Improvisation on a few lines by Mark Strand

882882 views11 comment11 fav

I am tripping on poetry. Purple ink drips from my eyes like ergot of rye.

Improvisation on a Theme of Absolute Absence

11651165 views77 comments66 favs

Perhaps nothing has never existed;/ perhaps something always has

Improvisational

683683 views66 comments66 favs

This is not her death. This is absent-minded omniscience. This is impossible. And then again, the inside-out, implosion. And the hall was clogged with bodies; none of them hers, but who could be sure?

In A Lightning Storm, Sheep Run Through Barbed Wire

883883 views44 comments33 favs

I used to fear things. The lonesome wind come through the clapboards. Dry hillsides rustling. My own skin in the summer heat. Rattlers. Lurking. Abandoned coal pits. Pa said I was afraid of desolation. I didn't know what he meant by that. How can you be…

In a Pinch

14391439 views99 comments33 favs

His worst nightmare had come true. He wasn't wearing green and all of the other kids were.

In A-B-C Order

12321232 views1010 comments33 favs

When she was nineteen, she began to brew a baby in her belly. She named it, and sang to it, and organized the leftover hand-me-downs that hadn't been worn ragged through by the first seven sets of recipients.

In an authentic Irish pub in Las Vegas

906906 views55 comments55 favs

In an authentic Irish pub in Las Vegas where over much crowd noise the three of us are discussing Yeats, Joyce and Lady Gregory. We’re in an Irish pub after all, plus the fact we’re literature profs attending a Vegas academic conference.

In an Irish pub with a lot of oiled wood

937937 views11 comment11 fav

“I love women. They’re like goddesses.”

In an Unfamiliar Restaurant.

10191019 views55 comments44 favs

I find myself in an unfamiliar restaurant, its cuisine an uncomfortable pastiche of Croatian, Burmese, Jamaican and leftovers of long ago Sunday dinners in a small New England town.

In and Out

915915 views22 comments00 favs

Emma held her arm up to John’s eyes. He looked, nodded. “My burns are on the inside,” he told her. “I’ll never show you.”

In Battle of Mascots, San Dorito State Usually Wins

941941 views00 comments00 favs

“A lot of kids–granted, kids who aren’t too bright–will choose a school because of its mascot, and that’s what Chipper is all about,” he says.

In Between (edit)

786786 views11 comment11 fav

Behind me are two doors. Each opens onto a room which is more event than space.

In black velvet

711711 views00 comments00 favs

I can't show you the territory- not quite yet, not how I see it. But I do have a map, a glorious and vain construction. It gives you a glimpse, a sight. I wish you could see it all.

In Brief

998998 views1919 comments1010 favs

I can admire Falling Water and find Mr. Wright a complete shit.

in caring

636636 views22 comments22 favs

familiar people passing closely faces we recognize but cannot place

In December, 1998, we dropped more bombs on Iraq

809809 views00 comments00 favs

This is between the two wars, so it surprises you when TV screens light up with this in the hotel breakfast room. You are in Delhi, you were supposed to fly home last night but fog canceled everything.

in defense of assholes

996996 views33 comments22 favs

No excerpt for you.

In Distress

11141114 views55 comments22 favs

When a multinational big box furniture store opened just off the expressway outside the city selling all the same products at greatly reduced prices, they contemplated the possibility of closing their store.

In Dreams

14571457 views2121 comments1616 favs

I always wanted to head on up to New York City and be taught by a decent painter, but as time kept on trucking, it became clear that that was just a big dream that would not shake out and I'd never be a real artist because I was shy of the money I'd need to stay up there in…

In Dubai

10691069 views22 comments22 favs

I do not know the species of birds here. / The two I see playing on the balcony at night / I can never call back.

In Dubai III

873873 views22 comments22 favs

The boy in the elevator with round glasses, / who carried a newly-purchased broom, / was tall and burdened with clothes

In Due Time

10361036 views1111 comments1010 favs

Almost every weekend I'd ask Henry to go out with me and Marge, telling him we could double and, hey, maybe he could bring Ellen, who he dated a while back, who still asked about him. I'd suggest such things as going to a movie or out for a few drinks to reminisce about our…

In Her Wake

14321432 views66 comments22 favs

A piece of her skull landed here. But it fell off. Then I couldn't find it.

In Knucklebones, This Is What We Keep

10671067 views22 comments11 fav

Outreach the ostrich

In Machu Picchu

10981098 views55 comments11 fav

"I wonder what happened to Murder Man and Lust Girl?" wondered The Black Toadstool. The Anti-Justice League were in Machu Picchu, on a short vacation after taking over most of South America and the South Pole. The South Pole had been so easy. …

In Memoriam

13471347 views1111 comments1212 favs

...even unbelieving prayer muttered with quiet resigned breaths can not foretell or forestall stains...

In Memoriam

959959 views00 comments11 fav

One by one, cars filed into the cemetery, pelted by the summer rain under a gun-metal sky. The procession moved slowly, a series of brake lights and headlights, too close together, too far apart; there were sedans and SUVs, mini-vans and pick-up trucks, shiny new vehicles…