Alphabetical stories

AltspaceVR

427427 views44 comments44 favs

BelizeIn Belize there is muddy water. Rivers turned brown from the silt and clay of the soil. Water that looks like chocolate milk but the kind of chocolate milk that came in a box like a juice box and not a carton. That type of chocolate milk.Belize comes from an old…

Aluminum Canoe

10821082 views22 comments00 favs

"Don't stab me with that," says John.

Aluminum Foil

985985 views88 comments66 favs

Two days ago the equation worked so hard it shone.

Always / Never

824824 views11 comment11 fav

"... A set of vertebrae disintegrate and a woman falls face first into her dinner plate."

Always nervous

903903 views66 comments00 favs

and still every time I walked up there - so it can't be the cycling - I was nervous I would do it wrong

Always Vera

13631363 views1313 comments55 favs

“The price of everything's gone up,” I say. “But I don't have to buy you chocolate if it's costing too much.” She says nothing and bends her head again, gnarled hands slowly breaking a family-sized chocolate block into pieces.

Alyssa

980980 views44 comments33 favs

Before the paint spikes Coney Island to the wind, I walk home through the strum of a shield, colder than the one he left behind. For the hour I sprawl along the sidewalk in her laugh, crater's shadows for Wonder Wheel, he is midnight sun in The Last Waltz. Where the glow…

Am I Anna Karenina?

18931893 views99 comments33 favs

You’re often photographed at Martha’s Vineyard at sunrise, Key West on New Year’s Day, Coney Island on Christmas, and variously at dive bars in Montauk. You’re a woman of a certain age and you are also a woman of the world. You’re a 21st century

am I still alive, yes

672672 views33 comments11 fav

She read her briefs as she sat at the café table in her smart dark blue suit, and she altered the wording on the briefs in front of her, and she would check the watch at her wrist as if there were a pulse there: Am I still alive, yes. Am I still alive,

Amalfi

652652 views00 comments00 favs

He reaches towards the single, tall glass on the table between them and picks it up; ice cubes chatter merrily. He takes a sip and smiles.

Amanda Palmer

10931093 views33 comments33 favs

Amanda Palmer's explaining the eyebrow thing. An altercation with someone at Roadrunner, or maybe old boyfriend shit to burn— She's animated but he's losing signal, filling in the blanks himself. Whatever, it won't light at first, and then WHUMP and she…

amaryllis

10141014 views44 comments11 fav

On such warm nights when wet sex happens suddenly, please, remember the amaryllis. How they’ll push up out of the ground in August after the first real heat opens the air. I too was born in such weather. Balmy nights when heat lightning beats in the

Amateur Theory of the Universe

983983 views1111 comments33 favs

this could be true

Ambassador of Nowhere

887887 views66 comments55 favs

Before you tripped on the third rail, you were like any other: coat a shard of midnight-blue, eyes filled with gratitude but for nothing. You were a lost coyote on a snowy hill. With sad magnificence you wandered, terrorizing passengers who secretly wished to pat your…

Amber

13691369 views99 comments77 favs

I am the marigold wheel no one can understand, the menace your grandfather warned you about. Yes, yes, that last phrase was overkill...

Ambient

761761 views00 comments00 favs

I try to make conversation by showing her the washing instructions for the jeans I just bought for $375.00. She reads slowly. “What, do they assume you live in Australia or something?”

Ambitious

11051105 views44 comments22 favs

Why do men become explorers? he asked. Because they want to cannibalize the unknown; to leave the chemicals, the furniture (and, yes, the shrew) behind; to make their way hi ho into the brush, whose weeds and lianas remain empty of the exhortations of Jesus Christ, whose…

Ambivalence

949949 views22 comments11 fav

She said it feels wrong. Too wet, she said. I snickered, she smacked.

Amble

816816 views11 comment22 favs

I sulk across the room to feed you,hold your hand, tell you everything will be fine. It is the right time of night,the light from the street falls onto the chairat the perfect angle. I look at you, gray, shimmering, persnickety. Don't move, thisis just the dust, helping me…

Ambrosia

831831 views00 comments00 favs

Night's chill had yet to hand over his canvas to morning's warmth as I left the city limits to begin my pilgrimage, as I did every morning, before dawn. I parked my car on the asphalted roadside preferring to walk the final two miles to the abandoned homestead. …

Ambulance

41774177 views3030 comments3333 favs

Once you start telling the truth it's hard to quit. You look around and reasons are everywhere. It's like a new appliance, truth-telling, a can opener that's so good you barely have to turn it.On the phone my sister asks me why I don't come out and see her in San…

Amelia

12811281 views99 comments66 favs

Every time she tries to sleep they come; legions of small armored things scuttle claws aloft across the purple sand as soon as she stops moving.

Amen, Hallelujah

10581058 views44 comments11 fav

"Now, here daddy was on the back porch at night talking with some man about leaving."

Amends

153153 views1414 comments1111 favs

We met in graduate school. We were both taking a course on teaching using the case study method over at the Business School. I was from psychology. She was from biology. We were both getting Harvard doctorates. But as many people…

Amends '82: Part One

17551755 views00 comments00 favs

The kitchen I snuck out of seventeen years before kept fading to black and white, with this layer of something between me and them.

Amends '82: Part Two

10891089 views00 comments00 favs

Bobby took one out and looked at the date. "July 1965. Does that mean anything to you, Ma? Carla, T.J.?" Bobby handed the paper to my mother. "Why don't you spread it out on the counter to see if you can find something that he might have wanted…

America From The Outside

15741574 views1111 comments55 favs

You aren’t easy to explain, you Americans.

American Birthdays

13971397 views1111 comments99 favs

Cherry was America's least favorite pie. Her mother made it every year for her father's birthday because "daddy doesn't like cake." America had to wash the bowls, the wooden spoon, the plates and finally the Pyrex dish. Her brother got to "contribute" by climbing the tree…

American Kids

19381938 views55 comments00 favs

Bristol likes Levi to fuck her with his hockey mask on, behind a tree in the church courtyard.

American MEOW

277277 views77 comments44 favs

No American ghosts are friendly. I hate to be the one to break the news to you, amigo. American ghosts speak in blood and smoke signals and guttural cries. American ghosts MEOW.