Recommended stories

Market Day

671671 views1717 comments88 favs

I'd rather slit my wrists with a Triscuit...

By 4th Grade at St. Paul’s Elementary, No One Believes in the Spanking-Machine-in-the-Closet of Sister Alice Elenita’s Office

17231723 views99 comments99 favs

Arthur farts. Pandemonium. Miss O'Kelly shouts, “Quiet!” 32 nine year-olds freeze. “Close your books, fold your hands on your desk, put your heads down.” Obedience. Silence. Until…

Office Visit

11441144 views1212 comments99 favs

I was at the doctor's office, having my blood drawn. I was talking to the medical assistant. She was tying off my arm to tap my vein. She was almost 8 months pregnant with a girl, though her belly stuck out straight in front of her enough to be told she was having a boy.…

Michelle from Southport

11941194 views99 comments99 favs

True story, I swear to God.

As Pleat

13661366 views1010 comments66 favs

I turn up the music and slip into drone, rock it like a tunnel in canary. When that does not erase his face, I cup my breast with one hand and let my hair fall.

The Empty City - Chapter 1 - Early Summer

19031903 views1313 comments88 favs

Every day the trains transported the young and successful and the not so young and less successful who belonged to the five buildings.

When a Bastard Stares at the Sun

12711271 views1616 comments77 favs

The sun is going to slice your goddamn face open.

The Mouths of Babes

16951695 views99 comments55 favs

Moans and whispers woke me. I rubbed crust from my eyes and glanced at the G.I. Joe clock on my nightstand. 9:36. I pulled the covers back and stumbled out of my room. The living room light was on. Father Osborne's black suit coat was draped over the back of the couch. He…

Medusa Song

18591859 views1818 comments55 favs

She scrambles the eggs while the baby howls at her knees. To drown out the racket, she hums as she jabs her fork into the yolks. She enjoys the way they spill their yellow color and swirl into the whites. She matches her tune to the schook, schook, schook of the…

The poplar

591591 views1414 comments88 favs

Sometimes we hurt ourselves, we scratch ourselves, we bleed — for a simple joy... All I wanted to do was to find the poplar again — the tree of my young arms, of my budding breasts. My fingers used to circle around its bold and vigorous waist, but in the…

Summer Waters

13211321 views1313 comments88 favs

A lifeboat came by in the night, And I finally saw we were sinking.

Hands Like White Porcelain

11151115 views1818 comments88 favs

Jesus is for sale. But he’s heavy.

Acceptance is to her a phenomenon

15971597 views1414 comments77 favs

You were given blame for action as experience by cause and effect now. If you take apart blame and even forgiveness is too rigid. She thinks of that purpose as to give men sexual destiny.

The Love Story of Me (non-fiction and should be disqualified)

22062206 views88 comments77 favs

To find myself in a straight relationship which challenges my communications skills and tries my patience while improving my status among my peers and family.

Interlude in Trader Joe's Parking Lot

735735 views99 comments88 favs

I'm pulled in by the music like a rogue wave and he has no idea I'm drowning...

Ain't the End of Me

801801 views1515 comments88 favs

But even if the truth Never sets me free I'll know this ain't the end of me

So Twinkle Made Lemonade

11361136 views1111 comments88 favs

“Just how many different animals try to hide their nakedness?” “Only one. And that'd be us, idiot.”, Twinkle responded. “Then, why don't we mind sometimes showing our bodies?”, she then asked. Twinkle could see it was going to be another…

Your Last Rooster

11701170 views1616 comments88 favs

But his muscles fluttered and off he flew leaving the stink of barnyard on the sheets.

Forewarned

19661966 views77 comments44 favs

He imagined them raining down on her and then, like little radio towers, transmitting the sensation of her skin and warmth to him. He could feel her from the other side of the plastic. She could stay there, and he would feed her Chicken and Stars.

This is Why We Can Never Have Nice Things

15041504 views66 comments55 favs

At age eleven, I murder the coffee table. I gouge with every available implement: thumbtacks, Lefty scissors, the plastic hand of my Barbie accomplice (who really should have known better). It is a slow death. In the end, there is nowhere to hide the body. When I am…

BLT

937937 views1818 comments88 favs

I had a sister-in-law who was a licensed nutritionist. Not sure what “licensed” means, but she had some certificate and worked in a hospital. Hospitals! Places not known for their cuisine, much less their nutrition. —So, what do you…

This Can't Be Blank

10451045 views77 comments99 favs

I don't know where to start. We're gaining flight. Did you seeanybody we know? The trees are always a concern. I don't thinkI know how to stop this thing from crashing into parked cars,that is if we live. You can say it was all on a stupid dare. They don't have to know…

Three Short Poems

11191119 views1010 comments88 favs

no more trying to keep / the peace, no more trying / to keep every person happy. / Just this: no more.

Fulfillment

12411241 views1414 comments88 favs

And she's dying like someone who's tried living and failed.

Bootsy Goes on a Bender

12821282 views66 comments33 favs

Bootsy awoke with a hangover that only brain surgery could cure, a hangover that caused a seam to open in the known universe, leaving Bootsy on one side while all other matter sped away, away.

Frozen Chicken

17281728 views77 comments77 favs

One of the pieces, I noticed, had the real shape of a miniature chicken, its mohawk, pin legs, and small definition of wing. “Look at that,” I said to my friend. And just then, the wing twitched.

Bison

15171517 views1717 comments77 favs

To make extra money, my father wrote music reviews for the Calgary Herald, and on Saturday nights, he went to hear the Symphony, or into recital halls to listen to the chamber music that was being performed around the city. He took me, once, to a performa

With Eyes Closed

803803 views1515 comments88 favs

I believe I will become a bear, snuggle up in a deep cave, coil myself inside my fur, close my eyes on hurting images, turn a deaf ear to the uproar of the world. Bolt my door to the deceiving voices outside. Sleep. Forget. Wait, as we wait for spring, for the violet and…

March

11981198 views1717 comments88 favs

Crows etc.

Troy

10091009 views99 comments99 favs

It’s layer VII we adore/ and mourn