Recommended stories

(I don’t know how the nights can be so long when life is so short)

11661166 views55 comments22 favs

But I think what I remember most was Lynda really letting me have it. “Right now I’m seeing this married farmer out in Western Illinois. I met him at this bar out there called the Peppermint Lounge. Boy, they sure know me out there! Funny how every town

Minnie Mouse Meets Mickey at a Convention of Phrenologists

934934 views33 comments22 favs

A parody of John Ashbery I have been preconditioned likewise by the ligatures of the roof. It has bypassed even the lightning. When I started this essay I (poetics equalling dissemination, like a toilet plug) admired, and I in the book produced…

Who Better?

134134 views66 comments22 favs

Who better to return to at the end of the day? Can't wait to get home. Empty my pockets and wash my hands. Who better to lift a glass at the start of dinner? …

The Houseguest

849849 views33 comments22 favs

"Who's that?" Carl asked about the man standing near the fence. "Says his name is Marty Lopez," Jake replied. "For real?" Carl moved to one side for a better look. "I know. He doesn't look like a Lopez," Jake said.

Open Face

957957 views33 comments22 favs

All the time I'm eating I can't help but think of the many different tuna melts I have ordered in diners and coffee shops and how each of them disappointed me...

s'mores

836836 views22 comments33 favs

hot, full focused, hypnotic

No One Else

894894 views44 comments22 favs

o

Acrobats

10481048 views11 comment22 favs

What a beautiful day it was, what a wonderful day to lose one's mind. This is what you think going into it, that it is all a wonderful dream come true, and sure I'll have my hands full, but at the end of the day it will be worth something. If I hang in long enough,…

The Real Story Behind The Lipstick On Obama's Shirt

10461046 views66 comments11 fav

The lipstick on your collar walked up the steps and through the front door, without a key. Her smile was hypnotically red and bountiful. The guards standing around didn't dare frisk her for weapons, her lips were weapon enough.

Ya Sure You Betcha (A Syttende Mai Challenge)

14441444 views66 comments11 fav

Nora never dated Scandinavians.

The Pitted Leg

754754 views22 comments22 favs

Pick, pick, pick. Scabrous flesh comes off. Goes into mouth. Picking like a drone. This is my leg. It tastes a little salty. Iron apparent. Partner sits across the room, on his laptop, begging. I can't stop widening the pit. Partner goes to kitchen, eats…

Perdition

12371237 views44 comments22 favs

There existed within them the deeper perdition, of course, the perdition of culture, American culture, the 21st Century suburban version, made up of Strip Malls From Hell.

Book of Genesis

11831183 views55 comments22 favs

Almost to the elevation of regret.

The Nude Pianist: A Novel: Chapter 16

916916 views44 comments22 favs

Depression had Frank in its craw.

Test

773773 views22 comments22 favs

We’re safe as houses/ and unmoved. We grow/ accustomed to the sound

Roads Sign and Speech Acts

10681068 views44 comments22 favs

Notice: No Trespassing. Warning: Falling Rock. Caution: Dangerous Curve. Declaration: I Love You.

Death of an Eikaiwa

10391039 views33 comments22 favs

When I rolled him under the bed, I thought I would sweep him out later with arms curled up like legs beneath the shells of cicadas I used to gather from the laundry porch and set on the kitchen counter to scare my roommates. At least, I did that until…

i wouldn't give two cents for somebody to love.

10141014 views66 comments11 fav

money ain't nothin next to lovin.

Grand Fury

14601460 views66 comments11 fav

At some point, Spiro thinks, everyone must look like a sniper.

Five Breaths Or Less

10341034 views33 comments22 favs

She flew through the air, linen skirt billowing around her. Below, her buckled bicycle was taking a different route. Less aerodynamic than she, its trajectory was brief, crashing into the ditch. Elspeth kept on flying. Time slowed, and expanded

A Fog Will Press Forever at Your Shoulders

846846 views33 comments22 favs

Sandy lay motionless on the ground, death giving her a look only describable as "ancestral."

When Bad Things Happen To Other People

11181118 views44 comments22 favs

Years ago, I was involved in a freakish tragedy so startling and heartbreaking that it made the front page of not only my local newspaper, but “People” and “The National Enquirer.” I'm not going to tell you anything about it. This means that…

The Fruitless Resuscitation

864864 views33 comments22 favs

I was sent here to perform the autopsy on the norm, the status quo, the bourgeois.

Dream World

11311131 views33 comments22 favs

I don't mind being dead. It's ok. Really. I've discovered a whole new way of being based on non-being. What else can you do? I like being invisible. I like groaning and rattling chains. I used to be a writer. Still am. In fact, it might be more accurate to say that…

Ballad

10301030 views33 comments22 favs

Hi de ho, and hey, hey, hey; The farmer's daughter is made of hay. I went to touch her but she blew away, And noo ma hert is nae langer gay. Hi de hoo, and how do you do? The farmer's wife has a cold up her flue, And takes me away…

A Story about Tourism

984984 views44 comments22 favs

It was almost like I was dreaming, he is saying, my visit to the ruins of the factory that made the first Narrative Machines.

The Squirrel that Ate Cincinnati

858858 views33 comments22 favs

The drug that brought me here is orange and opposable as a thumb. Therefore, send me a dollar and I will swim in your beautiful gaze like a new experience. We can be caviar together and create metaphors for the stars.

Alone Before Surgery

960960 views55 comments11 fav

I spat in the toilet.

HEARTTHROB SERIES

828828 views44 comments22 favs

And when you come back, you work minimum wage and have water cooler sex and your face is no more than archives.

FENG THE CHEF REALIZES CHINA’S NOT BUYING SALMON FROM NORWAY

16621662 views44 comments22 favs

China refuses them politely, politely in that Communist way of saying without saying.