Most recent stories

Things I Wish I'd Said to M--

10291029 views1313 comments88 favs

Treasure that first love. And that first heartbreak. Don’t let it be the last thing.

A Paltry Thing

10381038 views88 comments77 favs

I love Hooters. Best cheese steak in town in my opinion.

Caliban's Dream

988988 views44 comments55 favs

Today I’m feeling crabby and haggard and technology makes it easy to get to the point.

The girl, whose hair was red, green and yellow

18501850 views99 comments99 favs

There were trees where I lived and clean pavement

Corporate Zombie Voodoo The rantings of a middle aged male against the corporate culture of America

12601260 views11 comment11 fav

This seems to be what happens to the Corporate Zombie Cowboys. They get eaten by their own Zombie Kings. The hardest part is I can see them coming, I am on the menu, and I cannot avoid them.

bucket of keys

970970 views33 comments33 favs

I imaged him at his mother's house, eating chicken and tabouli with her at her round marble table, leaning back and laughing, then reading my “love you” and excusing himself to cry in the bathroom.

The Evening News

10631063 views1818 comments1414 favs

When I got home from work I parked my briefcase in the hall, acknowledged our dog and immediately went into the kitchen where wife, Sherry, was cooking supper. Without turning around at the sink, she said her usual, How was your day? I said, Fine, and yours? She turned…

If Blake had only known

10461046 views1111 comments66 favs

Everything is bound to change like / a damsel to the tracks.

As the Bat Cave Turns

10481048 views55 comments44 favs

A study found that in bat species noted for female monogamy male bats have small testes and big brains, while in species noted for female promiscuity males have testicles five times as big, but smaller brains.

Accounting

11941194 views1717 comments1414 favs

It shouldn’t take that long to count/ to six but when the six are cats, arithmetic/ assumes Heisenbergian properties/ as the objects counted defy the count.

gravelortian part 19

661661 views00 comments00 favs

Uproot everything, a muddy hole when done

On Display

963963 views33 comments44 favs

Richard gets me started, tells me to undress the two women mannequins in the storefront window

About That Leg

954954 views22 comments22 favs

I could have said no. I should have said no. Prudence, however, was not in the air. Fourteen minutes later I am at the door of his condo a few blocks from Pier 39. Twenty minutes later I have wriggled into his extra wetsuit and am following him on his wif

Life Among the Epiphytes

10591059 views44 comments44 favs

Have you ever seen anyone die? It will alter your life. Because you suddenly realize that anxiety was worth something after all, and was a coin of the human condition, imprinted with hectic symbols, some of which resemble cypress, others more like Frankenstein:…

Kafka, Smashed

922922 views99 comments77 favs

perhaps I am only being transported not for replacement but for repair

The Road

10621062 views44 comments44 favs

we were traveling on wasn't necessarily going to go careening over any hill as fast as it was smashing into the blunt end of another cloudless hole like a cartoon cat chasing a cartoon mouse. It was huge like a stone wall that had its own…

The Managers

915915 views44 comments44 favs

The Managers are always to be found in twos or threes, lumbering greyly.——If you pass the Managers in a corridor it's a good idea to say hello. They will probably return your greeting, as best they can.——The Managers conduct meetings. They sit at the…

The Solipsistic Lady Novelist

518518 views44 comments00 favs

“I’m haunted,” she says, “by so many things–earth shoes, amulets, seventies mood rings.”

Swimming Lessons

10691069 views99 comments99 favs

I’m from the Land of Sky Blue Waters. I grew up in a lake. I think I’m half fish.

gravelortian part 18

828828 views22 comments22 favs

A poor boy scribbling

My Infection: (Chapter 1 of Milk-Blood)

863863 views00 comments00 favs

“Because the day I fucked you I caught an infection and now I have it for life.”

The Raging River

937937 views44 comments44 favs

We'll all face the raging river, some sooner than others.

Oh, Baby!

12121212 views1414 comments88 favs

One of the drunk men, a dear friend, hunk, as he updated me, now living the existence of a poet, called from San Francisco to say he would take the plane to Minneapolis, do it, then leave me to raise the baby.

Whirl

11351135 views1212 comments1111 favs

Wanna,wanna, whoop de loop. Hold my baby, kiss my mom, dance the way I used to do. Desktops, blacktops, cut and paste, speed down hills, learn the rules, Sister Saint Marion, married to Christ. Sixteen, life-green, pink tights, Swan Lake, an…

Why No One Writes Epics Anymore

11681168 views66 comments66 favs

No one writes epics anymore. Why? Perhaps it's because we no longer share mythologies. Once there was a shepherd, and now there is a Google bus loaded with pricks. Yes, you say, but they are good at math. Each and every one of them. And this is true. I envy them…

you're a james now. here's what to expect:

11901190 views1212 comments88 favs

fetal position can make a man seem small. harmless. like the child your womb won't carry...

The Unfinished House

604604 views33 comments11 fav

The details left undone let you know that tradesmen, visitors and strangers were not welcome.

Mr. Smashface eats fast food at Supermarket # 9

14681468 views66 comments33 favs

“Now God,” Mr. Smashface calls me out by name.

The Department of Lost Dreams

12751275 views44 comments33 favs

You would think that a department responsible for recovering readers from falling into the illusory realities of their books would merit an office in a less obvious state of disrepair.

Mother

818818 views22 comments22 favs

He stood in the doorway of his mother's house. The doorway that separated the living room from the kitchen. Out of habit, he picked at the wallpaper. He had done this for years as a kid. Anytime a corner pulled up, he started tugging. Just a…