Most read stories

Twentieth Century Chats, in Six Acts

600600 views99 comments55 favs

M. CALLAGHAN: I’ve got a lot on my mind. You’re drunk, aren’t you? COL. MORD: Good idea! DEATH: Well, there is no shame in that. J. KIDDING: Everyone suffers. Can you lend me your cat? T. BURKULAR: I don’t know, sir. I don’t follow political issues .

Puppet X, 4

599599 views11 comment11 fav

I'm not a practicing angel, ladies and gentlemen Got these penny wings out of boredom I need to know that black and grey place inside an angel where you bow your head, when a puppet forgets himself, when a man learns how smal

MIG Arrangement

599599 views88 comments55 favs

I do not think it good that you, any of you, know what I mean when I say “MIG arrangement.”

Reunion

599599 views44 comments22 favs

Did we ever walk together long?We walked apart much longer. Are we the same, unsaid, Or more different than you imagined? Are you amazed I still stand, Here and in this room, So brazen to show my lined, scarred face, So bold to live and speak aloud? Can you…

Two Cents a Bale

599599 views33 comments11 fav

“Price has gone up,” Jim said. His head and his body were still, like a deer’s when it hears something. “It’s three cents a bale now.”

The Solace of Olives

599599 views55 comments00 favs

Alone in Eugene, / I sought out / the solace of olives

Frankly, I'm Not Doing Well

598598 views11 comment00 favs

TW: Self-harm. I wanted to write a mental health essay that wasn't all rah! rah! and with as little sentimentality as possible. Out of everything I've published, I've gotten the most feedback from this--people telling me it helped them understand a loved one better, etc.…

blowing

598598 views1111 comments55 favs

elton wrings the melody from the words into the silent but pulsing air

Now Go Find Your Water

598598 views00 comments00 favs

http://fictionique.com/?p=15392

Fabulous Bird

597597 views33 comments11 fav

Just let there be that self-moving thing, a sweet girl mentioned by innocence in an off moment because of her skin, because of the way rain beads up on it.

When You Love Someone

596596 views66 comments66 favs

you set the world in motion. When you lovesomeone you reset everything to glow. When you love someone you forgive the world. Everything is possible. When you love someone it is time to go on home. When you love someone you're reborn as someone else…

Orientations within the Zwischenwelt

596596 views1010 comments44 favs

Licking bowl and spoon taste and foretaste follow.

Saturday, 1AM

596596 views00 comments00 favs

Tonight, as I ate stale fries in the car, / after getting back home, / my seatbelt still around me, / struggling to keep me in place,

Now's the Time: Three Women of Jazz Today

596596 views33 comments00 favs

The world of jazz resembles the Elizabethan stage: bare, unadorned sets, little of what is performed is reduced to writing, no, or hardly any women.

Peppercorns

595595 views1010 comments55 favs

Fertile bodies eye/ the space you occupy,/ impatient for disappearance.

My Dark Horse Run for Anti-Pope

595595 views22 comments00 favs

We flipped through the pages, filled with drawings Bates had done of himself in full papal regalia; mitre, crozier, the works. Beneath them he’d practiced signing autographs as “Pope Bates I.”

Boston Artists Fight Gentrification, One SUV at a Time

595595 views11 comment00 favs

"I'm dreading it," says Kati Rivers, a visual artist who has lived in the Fort Point Channel district. "A bunch of fat suburbanites driving up rents and crowding creative people out of the little cafes and bistros."

Going Right At Left

595595 views55 comments44 favs

Wishes are like beautiful fishing lines Pulled tightly around us. My lungs are Full of them I suppose, hopelessly caught On something rough and deep in all the darkened places. Your smile for Me was one of those, if you must know. This swung…

I Think You Know That

594594 views44 comments33 favs

you've swallowed a whale bone and not a whole chicken. It's not about being surrounded by very nice stuff. We always thought there was much, much more than haunted walls inside cold castles. People connect the dots like collecting stamps. Things get…

Strayhorn's "Chelsea Bridge" (Webster/Mulligan)

594594 views11 comment00 favs

The chorus is a melancholy enlightenment; this is all I have, he thinks, the only transcendence I’ll get out of this day. I should seize it while I can.

Composition for 250 mg. Capsule in Yellow and Black

594594 views11 comment11 fav

What you have just experienced is an entertainment of a new type, one made possible by a convergence of the latest advances in pharmacology and technology.

Pro and Contra in Sepia Black

593593 views44 comments33 favs

From decade to decade, editorial opinion swings and sways as to whether the fault of volubility resides chiefly with the practitioner or with the lawless company he keeps.

The Unfinished House

593593 views33 comments11 fav

The details left undone let you know that tradesmen, visitors and strangers were not welcome.

The Island

592592 views33 comments22 favs

There is an island behind the house in which I grew up. It is a network of bicycle paths and booby traps. The past is snared there.

Tundra

592592 views77 comments55 favs

All the lights of Rekyjavik...

The Old Man of the Mountain

592592 views00 comments00 favs

I care little for innocence. I prefer the breath of dragons to the silhouettes of apes.

Battle of the Bulging British Bridesmaids

591591 views00 comments00 favs

A survey by "You & Your Wedding" magazine has determined that one in five British brides now requires her bridesmaids to sign contracts regulating their behavior and appearance.

Speculation on the Quantum Mechanism of Death

591591 views66 comments55 favs

With whatever else physicists may learn . . . perhaps they will begin to see that the connections between the physical world and non-physical domains of existence have an explanatory power which has only barely been considered.

Maisie Dear

591591 views55 comments00 favs

Maisie dear, I can't forget her-- I only wish her poems were better.

A Pita Full Tale

591591 views00 comments00 favs

My distinguished white-haired boss sat behind a table at the entrance of the building and gave me a forbidding look. You’re fired, he said. Get out.