Most read stories

no-name time of day

721721 views1313 comments99 favs

"covered in a sheen of sweat, flowers of salt bloom on my T-shirt"

Five Million Yen: Chapter 49

721721 views00 comments00 favs

Besotted by an overload of scotch, Ben’s brain barely alerted him to loud knocking at his door.

Coins

721721 views00 comments00 favs

I was reading The Transmission of Doubt by Adi Da, and since it was just shy of five hundred pages, I had become tired and needed air. It was funny because Eglington Square Mall had only one floor and was more like a mini mall than anything, with a beer store on…

Dude Fish

721721 views11 comment11 fav

the wiggly word / floats toward the crowd

On Strike in the City

721721 views11 comment11 fav

The first day of the Steamfitters and Pipewranglers Local 175 strike was exhilarating. Every man (accurate; there were no women in the union) showed his support outside the Willgarden High Rise Corporation's company headquarters on Fifth Avenue, shaking unreadable signs…

Is That a Floating Postcard over There in your Shirt Pocket, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?

721721 views66 comments22 favs

We came wind-milling together ,up and over the blue and yellow stone bluffs, like a couple of empty yet racing nowhere fast plastic grocery bags, catching onto everything and anything in our way, and desperately trying to get free again,…

New Story In PANK

720720 views55 comments11 fav

The gecko instinctively knew that if he moved, he was dead.

Islands

720720 views22 comments11 fav

Off of the northeastern coastline there was a series of islands that won bread and butter through fishing. We walked off the ferry and through various docks while noticing vessels come in slowly boasting sides protected by worn plastic fenders on ropes affixed to…

The Empty Stool

720720 views00 comments00 favs

I walked up to the bar and sat down on the empty stool.“You don't want to sit there,” said the bartender.“Oh? Why not?” I replied.“It's haunted.”I laughed, but then stopped when I saw he was not laughing with me.“You're…

Siren

720720 views22 comments11 fav

There it it again, that noise. That low hum that I know so well now, spinning, gaining momentum in my head, like a cyclist in a velodrome, until its steadiness and roundness becomes sharp, painful, cutting like glass.

Maybe Just One More Then

720720 views66 comments33 favs

You don't deserve this poem and I don't deserve to write it. Whatever time we have left is way better spent sitting in a sunny garden with a good interesting book and with a beautiful golden delicious apple to bite into. But…

Five Million Yen: Chapter 42

720720 views00 comments00 favs

We had sex, but hadn’t established a strong relationship. We liked each other as more than friends, but I was worried that Claudia was acting as a honey trap and spying on me for Dan Arris.

Illumination,with grace

720720 views11 comment00 favs

Jerry peered out into the dark landscape with no fear left.

The Gift

720720 views1111 comments44 favs

There is no need to worry about art. Art in its ideal forms stays safe. Real art resists being the object of attention. It directs your gaze, and it swings in you forever.

(melody) floating inside an f

720720 views33 comments33 favs

Like the miserable sledgehammer I am, with no adjective in place to praise your moon, you are a hole well-worn into my favorite rock. I have only been able to reinvent this wronged language, in which being moved by…

Interruption

720720 views11 comment11 fav

As soon as he neared his neighborhood newsstand, handed over the exact change and had The New York Times in his hand, Irving switched from feeling he had no choices, to feeling he had a future.

Paleo Prophet

720720 views1414 comments1313 favs

We are insatiable

Jasika by the Mountain

720720 views33 comments11 fav

There was the small wooden structure near the base of the mountain. It had weathered many storms and its walls talked about the scars of this. In the hills to the west various cries came out from feral animals that seemed to go linger that autumn. But it had been a…

sunset pleadings

720720 views44 comments44 favs

fade away glorious, golden delicious

Sunday Morning Series- One: What I Learned in Sunday School

720720 views1313 comments66 favs

I learned He was a Schmuck when, on/ the mountaintop, with Abraham,/ I waited on His call: one Isaac, neat.

Mountain godfather

720720 views77 comments55 favs

“Look them straight in the eye, keep your mouth shut unless spoken to, and make no sudden moves.”

Goodbye, Me

719719 views55 comments55 favs

The racket of me left this morning

Pigeons Have Copied Your Brain

719719 views44 comments22 favs

The Pope is too busy shopping for clothes to control your brain.

Stop Short

719719 views00 comments00 favs

SoCo, Burnette's, Grey Goose, Bacardi. The good stuff. We drank Bill’s stuff because his parents were lawyers and loved to drink too. We just drank when everyone was asleep. Sometimes we’d invite our friends, or girls—but mostly it was just us. You could

lepidoptera

719719 views33 comments00 favs

The little butterfly struggled against the wind. As little butterflies sometimes do. Tossed and turned around by relentless, uncaring gusts. The little butterfly would make progress, but then be pushed back. Tantalizing close to where she was heading. A…

Rivers Start As Threads

719719 views00 comments00 favs

Dissonance is indispensable Observes Marcel Proust in a rowboat I hold in my hand a fire

Sure Thing

719719 views1212 comments77 favs

If you ask me I'm thinking I'm just blowing off some steam, some hot air that doesn't add up to the old cliche of a hill of beans. A hill of fucking beans.

8 zero+1 scarring digits tic toc glossie phanein and coy constellations or blood by boards avadhoota where no divine mthrs stay

719719 views11 comment00 favs

I am seven and it is in one of those spring stretches where temperatures proceed enough to make walking acceptable if not amicable. Pop cans and chip bags once boasting glossy surfaces and daring hues now faded to match asphalt fields. Other bits of things…

Basic Principles of Physical Space

719719 views66 comments44 favs

a body lost in thought stays hopelessly lost in thought for as long as the latte lasts and the coffee shop stays open and the moms don’t gather with their baby carriages and the bums don’t bum overly much and the trust funders don’t lose too

Why I Can't Write Romance

719719 views00 comments11 fav

But all I see, the only irresolute shape in my mind that forms and becomes real, is you.