Most read stories

THE TIDE OF LIFE

925925 views66 comments44 favs

It was an autumn day, late in the afternoon, a Tuesday, when the last murderer died. There was no official announcement. Indeed, she and her crime had been forgotten. Pancreatitis, her cause of death. Quite treatable, the cancer. Nothing could be done for the gene that…

Five Million Yen: Chapter 60

925925 views33 comments00 favs

Thérèse Defarge felt the first drop around ten.

Waist Deep in Tissue Packs

925925 views22 comments22 favs

It didn't matter if they burned or not.

Objects in a Field

925925 views1515 comments77 favs

Cacophony of an engine-braking eighteen-wheeler/ scatters the crows to fences, trees and wires/ in a startling chant of caw, caw, caw.

Something about that boy

925925 views33 comments00 favs

There was something about the boy that made me uneasy. Maybe it was the reverse widow's peak on his forehead or the way he wiped away his snot with the back of his hand. It could have been his red flannel shirt that reminded me of the hillbillies from the mountain…

Blame It on The Good Stuff

925925 views00 comments00 favs

That was nearly two years and a thousand smiles ago.

Humans [a screenplay-in-progress]

925925 views00 comments11 fav

She BENDS over and retrieves a bag that says POTATO CHIPS on it. Her dress is vaguely sweaty.

Drunk and Driving the Family Home

925925 views22 comments22 favs

I felt like-

Move and Pause

924924 views99 comments66 favs

On a Saturday I flew from murky air. My wings grown weak, I stole away from plundered nest, casual stings, and skillful barbs. In family's fold, I perch.

Best Laid Plans

924924 views00 comments00 favs

My obituary wasn't in the morning paper, so I headed to Target.

Don't Forgive Me

924924 views77 comments55 favs

of anything if that's the way you feel your love must go down, off its last nut before the big victimizing crash of the end of days and flowers. But watch out for thosethorn bushes that grow from forgotten holes in the ground.…

Improvisation on a few lines by Mark Strand

924924 views11 comment11 fav

I am tripping on poetry. Purple ink drips from my eyes like ergot of rye.

Night Flight

924924 views11 comment00 favs

I heard them calling my name. “Will passenger Karen Anderson please come to flight desk Six Fourteen? Flight 912 is ready for takeoff. This is your last call.” “Mario, did you hear that?” I asked. “We’re on the wrong plane!”

Edward Ogle the Andy

924924 views44 comments22 favs

Concrete coffeecake drumbeat gyrate Andy Rooney ran a meter.

Men Go to Great Lengths to Woo Reclusive Poetess

924924 views00 comments00 favs

"‘Man-hater’ is such a harsh term,” she says. “I really like it.”

Arcade

924924 views1111 comments88 favs

My father owned a penny arcade. I worked for him every summer all during my youth. My job was to hand green tickets to customers who achieved a certain score on Skee-Ball or shuffleboard. The coupons could be redeemed for merchandise which we had on display on…

Go Running Up That Hill

924924 views33 comments33 favs

Better move ‘cause I hear them comin’ up the other side.

It's Tough

924924 views1919 comments1010 favs

got the space heater going in the desert got a lot of space out there somewhere

Breath

924924 views00 comments00 favs

Michael lay on his back and counted his breaths, measuring their depth of inhalation and release.

In Dubai III

924924 views22 comments22 favs

The boy in the elevator with round glasses, / who carried a newly-purchased broom, / was tall and burdened with clothes

No One Else

924924 views44 comments22 favs

o

nerd

924924 views22 comments11 fav

We are nerds. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us bitch.

MATHEMATICA

924924 views22 comments11 fav

...You do the Math

The Red Suitcase: (Conclusion)

924924 views77 comments55 favs

—You must be joking, he laughed.

Tornado

924924 views11 comment11 fav

Bullets and cars can kill in the cityThe weather doesn't feel rightIt was hot yesterday.And has now gotten coolerThe wind blows heavy,And it's rainingThe sky has turned greenAs people sit down to hearThe news reports on the radioThe tornado might hit us,Everyone seems to…

Together in Tuscany

923923 views33 comments33 favs

Here comes the bus. It’s going to Tuscany and is full of pronouns: he, she, me, you, it, them, us, we, and you again.

Get a Hold of God, Will You?

923923 views33 comments00 favs

Get a Hold of God Get a hold of God, will you? I have seen a lot I saw a Great Dane licking the dew off an orange bird of paradise Get a hold of God and tell him that Get a hold of God and give him a piece of my m

The Dance

923923 views22 comments00 favs

Angelo stood to the side and lit a cigarette.

If Ted Hughes Rewrote Shakespeare

923923 views11 comment11 fav

The Phoenix Asks the Turtle-Dove if He Can Get a Drop of Water: After Shakespeare — In the style of Ted Hughes Let the bugling bird come up that burst a big loud lay, On the solitary tree of old Arabia (sound its thunder!):…

Moments in the Community of Women

923923 views11 comment00 favs

It’s the small stuff. Always. A conversation with a stranger, brief yet so connected it overwhelms you. These encounters can move me beyond my reality, little reminders that, if you just crack the window a little, something very special can blow in.