Most discussed stories

Seamus Has the Palsy Now

912912 views44 comments22 favs

Seamus’ hands are shaking now that once were still as stalking cats.

On Perfect Marble

776776 views44 comments44 favs

So the subtle shadow settles onto perfect marble on the floor of the ocean when the sunlight blooms over space and time but only in the near future as it has always been

Sunny Side

10851085 views44 comments44 favs

I was so used to the silence of late summer afternoons, when I could roll my hoop through the empty, sunlit piazzas without meeting another shadow, that at first I mistook the footsteps for the beat of a metronome spilling through an open window.

Ripped from the Headlines

865865 views44 comments55 favs

Their relationship had proved volatile. The husband had gone missing. The wife had gone dead.

Alex

558558 views44 comments44 favs

When Alex says “sorry” in that barely disguised Canadian accent, we call him an asshole.

Dreamphone Sleepover

13181318 views44 comments11 fav

Cassie cradles the loaf-sized phone – pinker than any girl – and dials. he's not wearing a hat says the phone and we all scratch our pencils on the boy-list.

Natural Histories I

868868 views44 comments22 favs

I feel about the universe/ as Abrahamics are supposed/ to feel about their Yahweh, /their God, and their Allah:/ I am in fear, I am in awe, /I am in love.

The Scripture of the Mountain

10761076 views44 comments33 favs

Abstractions excite me. I can't say why. There are treasures in the mountains. Extremities and peaks. Romantic cures and the curious juice of blackberries. The truth and authority of rock. It feels impersonal, and tilts into eccentric configurations. What is purpose?…

The Nature of Things

879879 views44 comments33 favs

She couldn't see what was actually there—the landscaping. All she could see were dollar signs, thousands of them suspended in mid-air, floating over each new plant, each well-placed sprinkler head, every curve of terraced orderliness on the hillside. She…

The Murder of Crows

893893 views44 comments33 favs

The one-legged crow was back in the yard again. It was there yesterday and maybe before, but yesterday was the first time I noticed it. I've been using my binoculars lately. It is interesting to me...to bring things closer. And it's not just birds, but other things like the…

My Moon's Famously Caught

651651 views44 comments44 favs

behind your one perfectly showcased yet irreplaceable earlobe, like a still inflated island-- in order to float away on any slight rogue gust of gregarious wind-- seedling tool kit and so I mistakenly thought I'd just …

Behold the New Day That Allows the Rabbit Hole to Disappear

840840 views44 comments11 fav

For hours and hours she swirled, and swirled some more. She was trying to be there for everyone, yet no one realized how much pain they were causing her. Some of them had thrown invisible darts of anger all day, and she had endured each one, because she c

The Department of Lost Dreams

12831283 views44 comments33 favs

You would think that a department responsible for recovering readers from falling into the illusory realities of their books would merit an office in a less obvious state of disrepair.

Bus Ride Through SF

10321032 views44 comments44 favs

Bud Light, B. O. and Freeloader Heaven, they step onto the back of the bus without a cent We pass by the Karma Wash but no one gets off the bus We pass by the Endless Soup and Salad Kitchen where we witness a crowd swarming over a ch

The World’s Food Shortage Problem is Solved with My Insect-Enlargement Gun!

753753 views44 comments11 fav

People of Earth, a better tomorrow has come. I’m near bursting with pleasure to report that the global community needn’t worry any longer about food shortages and famine and the like. Why? My patented insect-enlargement gun!

Nothing in the World (an excerpt)

16381638 views44 comments55 favs

All night the moon had watched him, and he’d been unable to return its stare. Finally there was sunlight, and Joško took up his rifle and rucksack. He had trouble keeping his balance at first, but gradually his legs steadied.

Death Along the Jersey Rails

10231023 views44 comments00 favs

like old discarded snake skin, dry and coarse after the bite... immortally tortured by broken glass bottles.

Urban Skunks

10511051 views44 comments22 favs

Urban skunks want to visit your neighborhood and be bold in your neighborhood.

And then we... Part 2

869869 views44 comments33 favs

The way I figure it, mom wasn't worth a shit. I'd cry when she hit me but she'd just keep pounding. When I was seven, she burned a hole in my back. It happened one day at the fair. We were walking around. She didn't have any money so all we could do was walk. I had…

When Not Laughing, Fortuna Only Smiles

13841384 views44 comments55 favs

. . . a visitor from the preceding century would have been aghast to the point of vomiting to behold the regard with which pandas were now held almost universally.

How to Lose Control of Your Pencil

987987 views44 comments11 fav

Real hands

Wallflower

11821182 views44 comments44 favs

It was one of those weekday mornings in early spring when Marjorie and I could wander from chapel to chapter house with only security guards for company.

The Prom Queen and the Quarterback

792792 views44 comments22 favs

Friday night, a bar downtown, beneath the swirling dots of disco lights, seated at a table by the door, I come across a Cheerleader from my high school days, having a Martini with the Quarterback she married. Even in forgiving light, …

Traveling Lightheaded

11251125 views44 comments11 fav

He lit my cigarette even though he didn't want me to smoke. Buying me drinks all night, he didn't complain, but he thought I drank too much.

Two of a Kind

17341734 views44 comments22 favs

What was it about women that made them know these kinds of things about one another, about people, the way they came together, the future? Crater thought back to Dresden, the exchange student from Holland. She knew things like that.

What I told the police the morning after

10621062 views44 comments11 fav

Miracles don’t happen to the poor.

Airport Hotel

924924 views44 comments00 favs

We construct what we want, from what has failed in the past. We thought this worked. The picture was buzzing for me and I tried to hold on. I went blindly forward.

His Nightmares

11021102 views44 comments11 fav

Motionless seconds turned

The Bookshelves

918918 views44 comments33 favs

rows and sections of casually arranged selectionswell crafted but haphazardpretty objets d'art randomly placed as cluesto significant life moments and revealing preferencesmy mother was an interior designershe would have clucked her tongueher head cocked to the sideas she…

Worn

969969 views44 comments33 favs

The shirts hanging by the back veranda serve as our memorial to them.