Most discussed stories

Grateful

772772 views66 comments55 favs

What I had liked about Harvard before it showed itself in psychocareerist TV appearances and lid-down disingenuous printed psychotopical drills for maintaining crass privilege was the description online of its linguistics department.

The Dead

10041004 views66 comments44 favs

The dead want you to calm down.They are quite fine, and don't needyour post-mortem tears, the flowers and veils; their names mispronounced by preachers. None of your catechisms will do -- especiallyfor the children, who know them well and need no…

The Judas Horse

11301130 views66 comments22 favs

Mark dressed the velvet red Stetson, too big for his head, like a dandy. A six year old savior with fringe on his pockets flapping as he, the ‘Judas horse’ led me ’round back

Speeding Down The Freeway Listening To ZZ Top

12141214 views66 comments33 favs

I love going fast. The last bank I robbed didn't know what hit them.

The Clarity of Loss

12321232 views66 comments44 favs

This year I did not markthe day of your death.I let it slip by in an afternoonfilled with music you'll never hear,words you'll never read,a chorus of voices raised in protestat the unwavering passage of time.I don't need a numberto know that you are gone.Since you went…

Barker

11491149 views66 comments55 favs

Barkety bark

I Want a Lover, Not a Saint

736736 views66 comments44 favs

Her tits were perfect But came with a white picket fence Around them

Why No One Writes Epics Anymore

11931193 views66 comments66 favs

No one writes epics anymore. Why? Perhaps it's because we no longer share mythologies. Once there was a shepherd, and now there is a Google bus loaded with pricks. Yes, you say, but they are good at math. Each and every one of them. And this is true. I envy them…

I Will Not Be That Woman

10161016 views66 comments66 favs

Not today. Even when the Isar rolls so cool and deep and I could wade and wade 'til sleep. Not today. When I have the tablets in a drawer in a box winking chalkily at me. Not today. When the church tower soars and it's bells toll out a seductive beat …

Pretty White Gloves

14641464 views66 comments22 favs

He sits on a folded-over cardboard box, slightly off-balance and without any visible sign of support other than the granite wall of the bank behind him and the few coins in the paper cup he shakes at each passerby.

Small Talk

12841284 views66 comments22 favs

Her fingers scampered over the table, practicing the deft stitching of the basilar artery.

Lines Written in a Honda Civic

13821382 views66 comments44 favs

Raymond Carver used to write poetry in his car. / Tonight, I tried it too. / I have a car like Raymond Carver / but cannot write poetry like Raymond Carver. / The car isn’t enough.

The Sky Bent Over

10241024 views66 comments44 favs

and coughed its grey net over the candle lit world outside. Birds of an arrow sprang into thin air and disappeared over the hills in a quick shortness of zoom-breath-- like a stiffened branch snapping . It's cold. There're …

au

950950 views66 comments44 favs

the way we fit...alchemy

Kneecapping the Muse

611611 views66 comments33 favs

In 1997, I was exploring a used bookstore in Camden, New Jersey, when I stumbled across a two-volume hardback copy of The Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavić, a book I had been meaning to read since it came out in 1984. At $10.00 for the set, I couldn't pass up…

Happy Valentine's Day From Your Librarian

12851285 views66 comments55 favs

Is every librarian a poet at heart? I don't know, but a group of librarians recently put their heads together and came up with these library-themed Valentine's Day poems: Roses are red Your book's overdue You've had it for months Which is…

Love Story

16271627 views66 comments22 favs

You longed to rip off her butterfly wings and watch her scream in agony. You ached to carve the steel from her eyes.

Feeling fences

11271127 views66 comments44 favs

... he could feel the pointed picket spears.

riversong

10141014 views66 comments55 favs

pulled the wool off my head found i was almost dead

The Night Mayweather Took It

969969 views66 comments44 favs

It is not really about boxing.

Helpless

10541054 views66 comments44 favs

She stiffens and blusters and roars Not like a storm, Not like a lion. Like a badger, caught in the steel jaws of a trap.

Born of Flight

699699 views66 comments55 favs

I can walk among words, Scatter them like birds, to compose two thirds of a poem, when they settle on nearby wires, in an order inspiring wonder. What do they think, when I scatter them asunder. Bring them disarray, Shape them to a…

Myra

11661166 views66 comments55 favs

When I got to Pete's house he was sitting on the curb smoking a cigarette, bruised and dirty, with a smoking pile of rubble behind him where his house used to be. I hadn't heard yet, but his ol' girl left him and blew up the house when she left.

Buddies to the End

944944 views66 comments55 favs

“Tell me how sad they are.”

A Fine Life

11571157 views66 comments66 favs

It's really not too bad. The personI am was me. We laughed insidetheir sacred places at all the monieswell spent. We walked in the gardenswithout any shoes on. Not one singleflower seemed to mind. And now it'sa forgotten mess or so I imagine.I'd rather you think about…

"The Misses Moses," from my collection Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives (Norton 2010)

12351235 views66 comments66 favs

The Misses Moses by Brad Watson from Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives The Moses sisters lived together, alone, in the fine old brick house near downtown where they…

How to travel with your Demons (5)

14591459 views66 comments55 favs

She believes that this started with a phone call when she walked out of the deli yesterday. She believes that it started when it was snowing this morning in Brooklyn, waiting for her car to arrive, but the truth is, this journey began a long time ago.

How Circular Turns Infinity

104104 views66 comments44 favs

.

Saga of the Sugar Ants

13841384 views66 comments55 favs

They’re persistent, I’ll give them that. They keep coming. And coming and coming.

Universal Theory #1: The 3-Step Secret to a Good Life

11371137 views66 comments22 favs

1. Think up problems that don’t exist 2. Realize, suddenly, that they don’t exist 3. Elation