Alphabetical stories

A Chosen Voice

384384 views44 comments33 favs

While the shadows of lives that once were still hid away, others who survived tried to stand on their own two feet and walk the distance again and tell what happened and what it was all like.

A Christmas Mistake

11301130 views11 comment00 favs

But that night we were happy, looking all around at the bright lights of the several cities that we could see.

A Christmas Story

10571057 views77 comments66 favs

I pay for 3 Trump Troll Dolls and a package red licorice twizzlers and head back toward the door. Dancing Gnome Girl is there to greet me. I stick a twizzler in the teeth of the donation pail.

A Christmas Story

11141114 views22 comments11 fav

Two days before Christmas 1946, my mother put me on an Illinois Central railroad train at the whistle stop of Neoga, Illinois.

A Christmas Surprise

11861186 views11 comment11 fav

"John is going to love it when he finds out that it pees," Bobby said. Kelly laughed and dropped a towel on the floor.

A Christmas Tale

13291329 views77 comments22 favs

leaning over the banister, her Christmas waist making the wood swoon and creak, a warning sign if there ever was one...

A Circus Never to Return

14301430 views77 comments77 favs

But on arrival Darlene was in no prompt mood to undress. "There's some ugly sumpthin' out there along the fence, looks like it's gnawin' on sumpthin' dead."

A city in the forties

10091009 views88 comments55 favs

Along the hollow center

A Clean Tent

576576 views88 comments66 favs

“No,” he says. A simple lie. “I -” He pushes the sleeping bag off of his legs. Their getaway reset was a mistake.

A Cloud of Words for Winter

569569 views1313 comments1515 favs

What I would say

A Clue Found Aboard a Zen Mind's Floating Iceberg

12511251 views88 comments77 favs

I do so want to bring you into the sacred linguistically eternal loop of all ordinary things on earth, but it can so easily turn into a very sudden unsparing trapdoor, or a hissing angry knot tying up itself into even more tricky sorts …

A Coin, Two Coins

672672 views99 comments66 favs

It hangs unspoken in the sadness he pushes through his harmonica, while his hands work the old, beat-up guitar that tries to be a Gibson for his fingertips.

A College Town

11931193 views44 comments11 fav

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } …

a confession

817817 views00 comments00 favs

a pit-bull or a rottweiler or something like that

a conundrum

3333 views00 comments00 favs

Before today, nobody's called me honey since 1982 when I was arriving from a job interview and as I was getting out a yellow taxi in Anchorage, the landlord, a lady in her fifties with her hair up in a bun and native to the Midwest came to greet me and as she helped me out…

A Conversation between a Dead Man, Himself and His Alarm Clock

12841284 views33 comments00 favs

He was dead when he tried to wake up. “Wake up,” he yelled silently to himself, although it didn’t sound silent to his voice. “Brr, brr, brr,” shouted his alarm clock as it glared two red fives, a colon and a seven

A Conversation Between Bacon and Eggs

11061106 views55 comments00 favs

In a hot splattering we were born

A Conversation on an Empty Balcony

912912 views22 comments11 fav

I go with the wind, like the smoke of this Marlboro red as it dances among the palm trees.

A Conversation With a Ghost

11571157 views11 comment00 favs

This must never get out in the press, for it would cause widespread panic. The priests would surround my house, not to mention the police and possibly the army. Castor Desayuno has come back from the dead!

A Cool Dry Place PART 1

931931 views44 comments11 fav

There are times when she is heavy and times when she is light.

A Cormorant on Fort Point Channel

713713 views33 comments00 favs

I walk past World Shaving Headquarters, he surfaces again down where I turn to return to Summer Street and work, the daily bread and all that.

A Country of Husbands

14251425 views1010 comments77 favs

The first husband was young and lovely. He had a little nose and long fingers he used for things like planting begonias in my clay pot. I did not do flowers. So that was nice.

A Course In Positive Thinking

17761776 views2323 comments2121 favs

The debits and credits of life have been recalculated. You are not due tax; you are owed a trapeze. It turns out you have a natural gift for hanging upside down, knees to the clouds.

a crushed pepsi can floats down

16971697 views2424 comments2121 favs

These days, even God has a day job.

A Cuppa

605605 views88 comments55 favs

David: Glad you made it. It’s been ages since we've had a cuppa.

A D O N I S

13511351 views33 comments00 favs

They sprinkled me in the holes of Auburn Maine. They covered me in grain, and salmon colored sand. My shell had swirls of chartreuse, and chocolate painted on it. I was made from glass and Gods left eye. Picked and sorted through, we all landed into a tiny paper bag…

A Dance at Midnight

764764 views00 comments00 favs

The city was spread before me in a pattern of dancing lights, alternately hidden and revealed by the blowing snow. At this distance, it was almost beautiful. Of course, the beauty was an illusion, obvious only at a distance. If I stood here until dawn, I’

A Day At The Beach

986986 views22 comments00 favs

Rothko and Stella loved the beach. To Jalapeno it was just one big litter box and for her it held no great appeal. She sprawled sunbathing on the dashboard lifting a lid occasionally to watch Lauren riding a wave. The dogs delirious with freedom romped and chased tight…

A Day at the Fair

673673 views22 comments11 fav

“Furman lost all his money at a clip joint. I'm going to the office to complain.”

A Day at the Fair

866866 views22 comments11 fav

“You just missed that last time,” the carney was saying as Sue Ellen walked up. “Give it one more try and I’ll bet you get your girl a big teddy bear. C’mon.”