Alphabetical stories

Children's Time

12011201 views99 comments33 favs

During what's called "Children's time," one day at church Sarah slides her left foot halfway out of her tiny ballet slipper to show Davie her toenails are painted the same soft pink as the inside of her shoe. "Look," she says. "My…

Chills On My Opposite Hip

729729 views66 comments11 fav

You gave me chills on my opposite hip whenever you touched me from behind, when we spooned under the rough woolen blanket in your basement. Whenever your essence touched my life like that. Just like when you said, “You came, that’s all.” That’s all? T

Chimera (a wild and unrealistic dream or notion)

17061706 views1010 comments1010 favs

... while I lie, cool as a nectar cream snowball, in my Maggie The Cat slip, painting my toenails a color called Bad Influence

Chimes of Coins or Branches

918918 views11 comment11 fav

It must be some sort of Freudian twist, but as her cold fingertips draw rings on my navel, I think of my mother. Here, her body watches my tongue, asking my lips to curl into the letters of her name. I can't get erect. I remember my mother's face—her eyes almost…

China

815815 views11 comment00 favs

Your words broke meLike a china vase dropped to the floorAnd though the pieces were recoveredStuck together with love and compassionThe cracks are there for those who lookI was happy to be there, content in that placeYou wanting to be somewhere elseNever telling me where…

Chinchillas in the Air

14811481 views1111 comments66 favs

He rounds his back to stretch again, circles his arms like a ballerina, settles into the couch cushion behind him. “We made plans. Real plans. New York City. Live like bohemians. Fuck like chinchillas.”

Chinese

16611661 views1212 comments1010 favs

Brian stands. The edge of the tablecloth goes up with him, clings to his belt buckle, so he must beat it down. Everyone looks at him. The two old ones at the end glare at him coldly, four stupid eyes.

Chinese Apples

21482148 views77 comments99 favs

Mother still calls pomegranates “Chinese apples,” much to my embarrassment.

Chinese farmer gets life in prison for evading highway tolls

729729 views22 comments00 favs

Bring me your poor, your tired, your hungry anyone skilled at evading highway tolls Bring me your escape artists dangling upside down in a straight-jacket from the sides of tall buildings Don’t let them starve in the prisons of the world Bri

Chinese Jacks

12491249 views11 comment33 favs

"Carl, do you think we can fit all of our furniture into that red house?" Jeanne asks. She wonders how easily you could burn a red house down, if a claw foot tub will melt or be left standing in a field of black grass. He reaches for her hair, the dizzy smell…

Chinese Noodle Soup

13941394 views2121 comments1919 favs

Is: soozly, soggly, 'shrooms and shrimp, chickens and eggs-dropped, skinny brown smooths,snappyish peas and humblestumblingin hothappy broth.
 
 These flinging…

Chinese Whispers

8181 views22 comments22 favs

.

Chinese Whispers (or Telephone)

265265 views99 comments33 favs

.

CHINTZ PICKLE

857857 views44 comments44 favs

What if she doesn't take me seriously? My sweaty testimony wedged tight behind the tragic I used to think was honest? What if, right? What if . . . Isolation Real men feel that, right? They have …

Chip's Bar

10191019 views00 comments00 favs

Bill texted me at 3:44, invited me to join him at Chip's, where he was having a drink. Chip's Bar is a great dive, and I accepted without hesitation. Ten minutes later I was on a crowded bus filled mostly with fat people, and twenty minutes after that I was…

Chipmunk Song

961961 views00 comments00 favs

Chipmunk SongChipmunk workin' in the roadside weedsLookin' all around for nuts and seedsSmall bird callin' from a hickory treeAll's right with the world and all's right with meChipmunk searchin' for nuts and seedsLucky fellow finds all he needsAs for me all I desireIs a…

Chipping Granite

11241124 views55 comments33 favs

I sat at the kitchen counter, aware of a heaviness, a numbness, in my flesh, my bones, my mind. My dancer's body -- short, trim and 108 pounds -- felt as huge and unmoving as the…

Chlorine Dream

843843 views44 comments44 favs

death spoke in a swimming pool in late june:

Chocolate Biscuits

10031003 views00 comments00 favs

Josh was having a hard enough time getting through his final year of studies without having his sister point out his fledgling love life to his parents.

Chocolate Diamonds

11341134 views1010 comments77 favs

with facets

Chocolate Dog

12911291 views44 comments22 favs

My ghost has already been places I'll never see.

Cholo

14151415 views55 comments22 favs

There was that time he decided to avoid the whole situation by getting off the bus early.

Chop Your Own Firewood and Learn To Juggle: Advice I'm Going To Ignore From "Life's Little Instruction Book"

49164916 views1313 comments88 favs

"Life's Little Instruction Book." There are some words of wisdom here that I plan to ignore.

Chopsticks

992992 views33 comments11 fav

They’re coming now. Thousands of them. Black wings, antennas, spindly legs.

Chores

24772477 views1313 comments88 favs

... honestly, the dishes were just tired. Too few in number and washed too often, they dreamed of an escape -- any escape, really -- from the endless cycle of hot water and being racked together to dry ...

Chresmographion

886886 views66 comments33 favs

Meeting the past an inevitable outcome (this inside a future fortune cookie). Shame pierces her like a sudden migraine.

Christ walks the streets of Venice

13651365 views1212 comments1010 favs

Christ walks the streets of Venice,/has long since become a regular . . .

Christ's Fingertips

892892 views00 comments00 favs

they could be barefoot bastard children for somebody else to clothe

Christian Bell

837837 views77 comments44 favs

Night LifeThen things started getting weird. I could give you a time frame but it was back when times didn't matter really, one hour as good as the next and the minutes used to be minutes not the digital counting that makes this crazy world now spin. Here was…

Christian Bell vs. Sleep

256256 views1111 comments44 favs

Christian Bell can’t sleep in/on the following: airplanes, car trips, couches, first nights in hotels, jury duty holding area, commuter train, work breakroom, tent, park bench, the ground.