Recommended stories

The Girl I Danced With Is Now A Man

966966 views44 comments11 fav

You can't always be everything you were expected to be

Prometheus

929929 views22 comments11 fav

Allow me one moment of stasis from pain, If I must really become that one, Who brought by giant hand man's gain, And suffered through theft of the sun. No dagger pricks the injured side, Or vulture picks the source of bile: Still must wan hordes…

Let's Walk This Dog

10831083 views22 comments11 fav

if you don't quiver with anticipation you'll barely manage to explode

Fundamentals

966966 views44 comments11 fav

You can have two threes, or three twos. I hear the beat both ways. It goes back and forth in my head, like magic, transforming from one to the other and back again. And I am learning the basics of music theory, and painting geometric shapes with primary colors. I am…

The Fixer

644644 views22 comments11 fav

When someone asks me what I do, I tell them that I am a fixer. I fix things. There is nothing that cannot be fixed. Will it ever be as good as new? That is subjective, but I will fix it for you.

Sorting through two forms of stupid

10141014 views22 comments22 favs

Does modeling come easily to me? Am I made for the camera? Not exactly. When I pose for a shot, I feel, well, like a poser, really.

Lola

938938 views33 comments11 fav

I know you through the rich dark brown soilcrumbling in my fingers like chocolate cake.I imagine you nurtured bell-shaped papayas,coaxing their smooth, leathery skinfrom green to yellow,while mangoes, the colors of the island sunset,hung with their tantalizing sweet…

A Christmas Story

11481148 views22 comments11 fav

Two days before Christmas 1946, my mother put me on an Illinois Central railroad train at the whistle stop of Neoga, Illinois.

lest we bury us

699699 views11 comment11 fav

this disc barely spins the jangle of spurs/how long does one revolution take?

Living in the Lapin of Luxury

12361236 views44 comments11 fav

“There’s cheap land at Cudlee Creek perfect for breeding long-haired rabbits,” he added. “They can’t jump high so fencing costs are low.”

Howie Mandel

11511151 views33 comments22 favs

We love the sparkling, speckless, spotless, spic-n-span, sanitary.

Cats

915915 views22 comments22 favs

Steve lowers himself onto a lounge chair and lets out a long, overdue sigh. Cliff and Jim, the frickin’ and frackin’ of the built-in pool industry, are making a Burger Chef run while the cement sets.

The Glens of Angus

980980 views44 comments11 fav

This is mine own country

Twisting Destiny

864864 views44 comments11 fav

And so, many ideas and stories and wonders crash onto the shores of my conscience...

Lester

12141214 views44 comments11 fav

Richard bounds up the stairs to his apartment. He can’t wait to get home to his new kitty. He found the poor cat right outside of his building just a few days ago, and already they’ve become fast friends.

Annals of the Naked Rowdies #78

10421042 views33 comments22 favs

A true Rowdies fan begins every conversation about the band with a legend. She would be impressed if he knew the story.

Ashtray Blues

292292 views22 comments22 favs

O most disconsolate ashtray, you are not politically correct, it's a conspiracy I suspect. O most disconsolate ashtray, how I long to see your smoke arise, suspended in my eyes, now you have nothing left to do but sit there in a smokeless …

Peggy Guggenheim Visits an Operation

11851185 views22 comments22 favs

To pay the bill.

Loose End

538538 views33 comments11 fav

With the crash of a hard drive his world / was destroyed

(little miracles)

536536 views33 comments11 fav

The little miracle of leaking milk from our skin The miracle of two mouths attached at the lips The miracle of inhaling another human’s essence at the onset of remembrance and the extensive and naturally occurring miracle of seeing someo

This Story Has No Title

967967 views22 comments22 favs

They watch her, scald her skin with hot eyes whose stares run up and down her body like lice.

How to Cheer Up a Sad Song

964964 views22 comments22 favs

It's one of the most difficult problems of aesthetic philosophy: What do we mean when we say that a song is sad? None of the big names--Aristotle, Kant, Croce–Benedetto, not Jim–come close to answering it.

"Dial Back the Snark" Speakers Scramble for Limited Gigs

831831 views33 comments11 fav

“‘Dial Back the Snark’ is an attempt to fight the cynicism that’s corroding America’s social fabric,” Myers says, mixing his metaphors. “It’s spreading like wildfire."

Icarus

935935 views22 comments22 favs

Rob slogged down First as November winds tore right on through him that Tuesday at four o'clock in the morning, letting him know that he was the only man left on the face of the whole fucking planet. Except for an old, broke,…

The Happy Bunny Family and the Enormous Publisher’s Clearing House Check

14711471 views33 comments11 fav

The Happy Bunny Family had a secret: They weren't very happy.Everyone in town knew it, but of course no one said anything. Mr. Happy Bunny would stroll through the center of town on his way to work and people would smile and nod and wish him a good day and he would return…

Conversation in a Dark Corner of Cafe Breton

867867 views22 comments22 favs

I loved you with the heaviness of crushed knives

Summer XVI

900900 views55 comments11 fav

It was the truth, you'd say. Then someone else would step in, someone who knew the situation. It wasn't long before the entire population of our sleepy little town became accustomed to your routine. It was even welcome in some circles. Those circles were made up…

Thick Air

758758 views33 comments11 fav

The only thoughts that come are old ones that are so needy they keep circling through for attention

I'm Just Not Interested

809809 views44 comments11 fav

in making your sad blown apart hearts rise up and squeeze out the kindness juices ever so sweetly anymore. Tried that. Didn't work out too well, not for me, wasn't a BIG time of waste, but did eat up some important wee…

1

869869 views22 comments22 favs

That evening, my friend and I were at a McDonalds'. It was late in the evening, and we got together after she sent me a text message she meant to send to someone else. I got a burger. She got fries.